Pentax days 15.00%
Other 15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When was the K-01 developed

I see some posts that imply that the K-01 was developed recently (Ricoh owns Pentax). Personally I doubt that very much as development and testing takes far longer than the short time that Ricoh has owned Pentax.

Borrowing from the K5 might shorten the development cycle, but the Prime-M at the other hand will have extended it.

So your thoughts. Was it developed in the recent Ricoh/Pentax days, the Hoya/Pentax days, when Pentax was still an individual company or 'other' (in case I missed something).

My guess is that it was the Hoya/Pentax days.

02-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
Pentaxian

A combo of all, I would think. Probably Ricoh was privy to what was in the pipeline when they bought the company, but certainly it had to be in-process under Hoya, but then Ricoh came along and was probably able to tweak things to their liking and future plans. It sounds like some of the software features came from Ricoh in any case.
02-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Thd interview with the design stated a year. This would place it in the Hoya days. I would guess the two naturak disasters delayed the release a little. This delay was enough to have Ricoh add a few firmware things like focus peaking.
02-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

My guess is that there are always several different projects or project candidates being developed simultaneously. Ricoh decided to greenlight and finalize this one, which had been mostly designed during the Hoya period.

02-05-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
A combo of all, I would think. Probably Ricoh was privy to what was in the pipeline when they bought the company, but certainly it had to be in-process under Hoya, but then Ricoh came along and was probably able to tweak things to their liking and future plans. It sounds like some of the software features came from Ricoh in any case.
I tend to agree with you. I suspect that it was something that Pentax was working on all along, perhaps even pre-Hoya, that Ricoh tweeked and released. I kinda see it as the perfect camera to back up a K5...for half the price.
02-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The interviews indicate that MN's involvement started around a year ago. It looks to be a combination of things that Pentax had been playing with for nearly a decade, the K-5, and MN's ideas. So, all 3 of the options listed.
02-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There were rumors of two mirror-less cameras in the pipe line already before Ricoh's take over were announced. Not that I would give Hoya any of the credit.