Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
NO its the local distributor forging a relationship with the local users group - quite different from what other Pentax Official National or Regional folks are doing. It seems, from what the folks in Singapore have said - and I would defer to them on this, to be a relationship with one person at the Pentax Singapore distributor with the group.
The local Pentax community in Singapore was very small when it first started. It was well nigh impossible to find a new Pentax in a camera store but Pentax users then were prepared to come together on an ad hoc basis to eventually organize monthly photo outings. This started perhaps about 6 years ago and Frank was and currently is the key person in tirelessly getting the outings organized. Now over the years this informal gathering has seen so many new users and even attracts people using other camera makes due to the very friendly atmosphere and open exchange of ideas. Whether new of old, members feel at ease immediately and many long standing friendships have been forged. Many have benefited from this and the free exchange of ideas, and it shows in the quality of images that are posted regularly.

Now the user group has always had a good relationship with Pentax distributors. Feedback is often honest and many truly appreciate the efforts of the current distributor, Emjay, who has always been supportive in promoting Pentax locally. We now have the cameras and lenses available in camera shops and we even have visual advertising and service issues are handled without issue. More importantly if the number of people coming to our monthly outings are any indication we've definitely seen more Pentax users.

I guess the value of equipment feedback from a user group is that it is done without overt commercial interests and we appreciate our distributor's efforts in allowing us to test and try. Have to say that many on PF are pretty dogmatic and have many formed opinions even before they have actually tried the product. To me they are shortchanging themselves to new possibilities in imaging. I've been shooting since I was a kid and in the past can't see the benefits of using a mirrorless camera. I now think a lot differently and think it complements my other cameras well.

Last edited by creampuff; 02-05-2012 at 06:21 PM.
02-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote

Yes, this camera without a viewfinder looks pretty practical.
this is better compared to the small OVF on Pentax APS-C dslrs.
02-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote

Yes, this camera without a viewfinder looks pretty practical.
Too bad about the clunkiness, but I shot macro with the loupe and focus accuracy was phenomenal (1 focus > 1 kill for most shots). And thats even before zooming in with the LCD magnification.

You won't catch me using that in the public though

So use it when necessary. Thats my own guideline for it.
02-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
The local Pentax community in Singapore was very small when it first started. It was well nigh impossible to find a new Pentax in a camera store but Pentax users then were prepared to come together on an ad hoc basis to eventually organize monthly photo outings. This started perhaps about 6 years ago and Frank was and currently is the key person in tirelessly getting the outings organized. Now over the years this informal gathering has seen so many new users and even attracts people using other camera makes due to the very friendly atmosphere and open exchange of ideas. Whether new of old, members feel at ease immediately and many long standing friendships have been forged. Many have benefited from this and the free exchange of ideas, and it shows in the quality of images that are posted regularly.

Now the user group has always had a good relationship with Pentax distributors. Feedback is often honest and many truly appreciate the efforts of the current distributor, Emjay, who has always been supportive in promoting Pentax locally. We now have the cameras and lenses available in camera shops and we even have visual advertising and service issues are handled without issue. More importantly if the number of people coming to our monthly outings are any indication we've definitely seen more Pentax users.

I guess the value of equipment feedback from a user group is that it is done without overt commercial interests and we appreciate our distributor's efforts in allowing us to test and try. Have to say that many on PF are pretty dogmatic and have many formed opinions even before they have actually tried the product. To me they are shortchanging themselves to new possibilities in imaging. I've been shooting since I was a kid and in the past can't see the benefits of using a mirrorless camera. I now think a lot differently and think it complements my other cameras well.
+1
Perhaps some folks in the bigger cities should take this as a working model and form up gatherings and try to have friendly engagements with the retailer or Pentax office.

Help Pentax to eventually help yourselves.

02-05-2012, 07:36 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote

Well said Denis

Look at our small group gethering when we started:

And one of the bigger groups we had a few years after we started the monthly outing:

Our local Pentax user base certain growed bigger and bigger over the past a few years.
02-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #21

That's fantastic! And a great model for Pentax marketing. The other companies can keep the celebrity endorsements, getting boots on the ground and engaging real fans is what builds buzz.

BTW, the fellow on the lower right, is that a camera pack? The only people I know with packs that size are paragliders!
02-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bikecoboss Quote
That's fantastic! And a great model for Pentax marketing. The other companies can keep the celebrity endorsements, getting boots on the ground and engaging real fans is what builds buzz.

BTW, the fellow on the lower right, is that a camera pack? The only people I know with packs that size are paragliders!
No, that's not a dedicated camera bag but rather a normal travel backpack. The guy who carried it in the photo was a traveller who happened to carry a Pentax camera too. When he saw us Pentaxians taking group photos, he couldn't help but join us for the fun And he said he'd never seen so many Pentax users all in one place, most time he'd be the only one using Pentax when shooting together w/ others.
02-06-2012, 02:29 AM   #23
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bikecoboss Quote

I thought that was the complementary Sherpa that came with the 600 F4.

02-11-2013, 05:09 PM   #24

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
When I see the photos of the K01 standing on it's side, upside down, etc., it really impresses me that the designer was thinking out of the box. The only cameras that I have seen in the past that can be stood on their ear or upside down were the old Kodak Box Cameras. What a simple idea when you think about it.
Funny comment!
02-12-2013, 04:24 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
When I see the photos of the K01 standing on it's side, upside down, etc., it really impresses me that the designer was thinking out of the box. The only cameras that I have seen in the past that can be stood on their ear or upside down were the old Kodak Box Cameras. What a simple idea when you think about it.
Actually it's a moot point because once you attach the supplied strap it no longer sits flat on it's sides..
It was probably happenstance more than design, clearly Mark Newson is not a photographer so it's doubtfull he'd have considered standing the camera on all sides..