Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Doing Pentax's Marketing for them!

Here are some photos from the Singapore group that actually do the Marketing Dept's job for them at Pentax IMHO.

Last edited by Docrwm; 05-06-2013 at 08:12 PM.
02-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

When I see the photos of the K01 standing on it's side, upside down, etc., it really impresses me that the designer was thinking out of the box. The only cameras that I have seen in the past that can be stood on their ear or upside down were the old Kodak Box Cameras. What a simple idea when you think about it.
02-05-2012, 11:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Seeing the 31mm on the K-01 is just lovely. But then again, seeing the 31mm is enough for me most of the time

That landscape shot is nice though!
02-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Marketing is (or perhaps just was) Pentax's biggest weakness, that Singapore group is doing a fantastic job filling in!

Those shots are great, especially the macros. I'd be keen on a K-01 if it wasn't for the need of that giant LCD hood.

Last edited by jeffshaddix; 02-05-2012 at 12:51 PM.
02-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #5

That IS Pentax doing the marketing.

Guerrilla marketing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(edit) I guess Buzz Marketing is the better description:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzz_marketing
02-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bikecoboss Quote

Marketing buzz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Perhaps - but by allowing the posters here and at dpreview to control the (negative) message on the K-01, with no counter response from PentaxUSA are the guerillas' efforts actually doing anything positive?
02-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Marketing buzz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
NO its the local distributor forging a relationship with the local users group - quite different from what other Pentax Official National or Regional folks are doing. It seems, from what the folks in Singapore have said - and I would defer to them on this, to be a relationship with one person at the Pentax Singapore distributor with the group.

02-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Perhaps - but by allowing the posters here and at dpreview to control the (negative) message on the K-01, with no counter response from PentaxUSA are the guerillas' efforts actually doing anything positive?
I think if they're confident in their camera they should just sit back and enjoy the free publicity, and let the camera speak for itself when it's released. I think they knew they were in for a rough ride, it's part of the deal when you change the shape of something people have grown used to. Between now and the release date letting clubs like the Singapore Pentaxians - or a handfull of individuals - get their hands on prototypes is a cheap and effective strategy.

Hear that Pentax Canada? Feel free to PM me...
02-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think if they're confident in their camera they should just sit back and enjoy the free publicity, and let the camera speak for itself when it's released. I think they knew they were in for a rough ride, it's part of the deal when you change the shape of something people have grown used to. Between now and the release date letting clubs like the Singapore Pentaxians - or a handfull of individuals - get their hands on prototypes is a cheap and effective strategy.

Hear that Pentax Canada? Feel free to PM me...

Why not do that with friendly photo groups regionally? You'd get more traction from it. The party in London apparently pulled in a large crowd of "gadget" people and not as many photo people. Interesting choices in who was invited based on the blog posts listed here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01-forum/174180-opinions-k-01-outside-bubble.html
02-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
NO its the local distributor forging a relationship with the local users group - quite different from what other Pentax Official National or Regional folks are doing. It seems, from what the folks in Singapore have said - and I would defer to them on this, to be a relationship with one person at the Pentax Singapore distributor with the group.
Well, I hope the Powers that Be notice how effective this was at turning the tide of negativity - and I hope the rep doesn't get canned!
02-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I hope the Powers that Be notice how effective this was at turning the tide of negativity - and I hope the rep doesn't get canned!
If they can that rep it will send a serious signal that they're more focused on top down management than effective marketing IMHO.

It did a LOT to turn the tide. So have some of the blogs from Non-photo folks who attended the Marc Newson party in London. The designer types that we were told this was targeted towards seem to, for the most part, have found this camera innovative with regard to its design while still being functional.
02-05-2012, 12:57 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Yes, this camera without a viewfinder looks pretty practical.
02-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote

Well, to be fair - the guy obviously already owned the attached viewfinder for use on his Pentax that already has an optical viewfinder.....hmmm......
02-05-2012, 01:55 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
It is nothing new about the K-01. Lots of DSLR shooters are using these accessories already. Look on B&H or Adorama. Accessories like this abound, and some people will pay hundreds of $$ for them (eg Zacuto). Mainly video shooters.
02-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #15
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
When I see the photos of the K01 standing on it's side, upside down, etc., it really impresses me that the designer was thinking out of the box. The only cameras that I have seen in the past that can be stood on their ear or upside down were the old Kodak Box Cameras. What a simple idea when you think about it.
I wouldn't have been surprised it they'd had a mount socket on the LHS.