Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
AFAIK, the launch price of K-01 w/ 40XS here in Singapore would be near or less than $900SGD, that's less than $720USD which is pretty good deal considering its image quality and built quality (yeah, I've held and played it for a while, I know how strong this tough guy is). I'm sure prices in the other countries (other than UK or EU, sorry for you guys) won't be too much off.

I think they are gonna sell tons of this new 40XS, many people would buy it as a body cap

02-09-2012, 09:25 PM   #32
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m2richard Quote
I guess it will have it's place. I can't see it being used much outdoors unless you want to go back to the time when you covered your head with a hood when you took a picture. Just IMO
There are a zillion photographers that do not need to see every detail of every frame that they shoot. Getting the framing right can be done in even the worst sunshine. I shot a zillion pictures only using an LCD screen in Yemen, despite a rather harsh sun. I can't recall ever having a problem taking the picture. No, I wasn't using telephoto lenses and no, I wasn't dealing with shallow depth of field with that camera, but that's a very common type of shooting. Shortish lenses taking pictures of scenes with decent depth of field is an enormous part of pictures taken. For those of us that mostly shoot like that, using the screen is fine. I prefer it actually. I would have liked the K-01 to have a movable LCD, but it isn't critical for me.

I think that this camera will be fine for the vast majority of pictures that most people take. It certainly has got me back into Pentax and it will be my first "serious" digital camera.
02-10-2012, 12:11 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by isaacc7 Quote
There are a zillion photographers that do not need to see every detail of every frame that they shoot. Getting the framing right can be done in even the worst sunshine. I shot a zillion pictures only using an LCD screen in Yemen, despite a rather harsh sun. I can't recall ever having a problem taking the picture. No, I wasn't using telephoto lenses and no, I wasn't dealing with shallow depth of field with that camera, but that's a very common type of shooting. Shortish lenses taking pictures of scenes with decent depth of field is an enormous part of pictures taken. For those of us that mostly shoot like that, using the screen is fine. I prefer it actually. I would have liked the K-01 to have a movable LCD, but it isn't critical for me.

I think that this camera will be fine for the vast majority of pictures that most people take. It certainly has got me back into Pentax and it will be my first "serious" digital camera.
And I suspect you're part of the target market for the K-01.

Some folks here seem to think that Pentax can't have done any market research on this camera, but, again, as I've said before on these Forums, not all landscape photographers shoot in bright outdoor conditions - how many rainforests have direct sun like North Africa? I use Live View on both my K20D and K-5 to get focus right, both in macro and in close environmental shooting outdoors, but I find it's not so good in direct sun, nonetheless.

Having said that, I agree with those who say that an articulated LCD would have made the K-01 much more attractive for some of this type of work. Even the Refconverter on 2x doesn't help in some situations.
02-10-2012, 02:03 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Possible second body for me ... after price drop(s)

Bonjour,

Like it or not, the K-01 is a good event for Pentax IMHO. The "styling" is highly debatable, but I (budget) buy for function and not for (designer) form.

So, I'll wait and see in a few months (let the price drop), definitely go hold one when in stock, and read voraciously PF and the pro press ... and decide later.

And maybe I'll wait for the "second generation" of the K-01 which could have improvements like an articulating screen, etc. and maybe even a VF to boot.

Look at how Nikon positioned the J1 and V1 ... a Pentax equivalent of the V1 may be on the horizon ... who knows.

Allez, on ve croiser les doigts et attendre un peu ... Salut - J Frog

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 02-10-2012 at 05:41 AM.
02-10-2012, 09:02 AM   #35
Veteran Member

The price will fall fast, the market will force it. remember also the price of Pentax lenses.

the specs and build quality of the K-01 may be top-notch, but it's lack of viewing features and unconventional design bely all that. The K-01 could've been a great K1000 for the next generation in schools and under xmas trees, with its unintimidating design and tough build, still could be actually, just nowhere near at this price.
02-10-2012, 09:28 AM   #36

If it falls to $600 before the sensor becomes too obsolete I would probably buy one. I'd grab one used at $500 ish.
02-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by isaacc7 Quote

+100. Me too.

02-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #38

From what I've seen, I really like this camera, especially the lemon one. The only thing I'm worried about is manual focusing using liew-view, anyone have experience with that?