Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Biro's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,159
K-01 Critics and Camera Price

While I personally am still in "wait and see" mode with the K-01, I have a question for those who don't like the camera for reasons varying from styling to size and weight to the lack of a viewfinder. MSRP for the K-01 body-only is $749. What if the price was $549 or even $449? Would you be more likely to buy the K-01 then... or is the camera just so "wrong" in your mind that you would never go for it under any circumstances? And if price is a factor, what would be the tipping point for you?

02-05-2012, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,944
Inevitably the price will fall...to at least $649 quite quickly I'm willing to bet. However, even at full MSRP, the IQ this camera will deliver is well worth the money IMO. If you're an amateur looking for a camera that takes outstanding pictures, the K-01 is for you. The good thing there is that most people in that category don't even know what a viewfinder is, which is the primary complaint against the K-01! I've had friends attempt to use my K-5 and ask me why they couldn't see anything on the LCD

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
If it were at the $449-549 level then using it as a backup body would become more likely for me.
02-05-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member
ytterbium's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,076
I remember when k100ds and k110d were on sale, what was the price of k110d? This, if not less, is where i would place the k-01 price wise to make it justified.

02-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member
Philoslothical's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,723
I have no use for a camera without a viewfinder, and I'm not a fan of this mirrorless fad either - unless they can make it do something a DSLR can't, like attain 20 FPS or 1/10,000th sec shutter speed, or high speed flash, make it do something extraordinary. So, no, a lower price would not pique my interest at all.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you're an amateur looking for a camera that takes outstanding pictures, the K-01 is for you. The good thing there is that most people in that category don't even know what a viewfinder is, which is the primary complaint against the K-01! I've had friends attempt to use my K-5 and ask me why they couldn't see anything on the LCD
Those people are not going to own any Pentax glass, or know the first thing about it. Why on Earth would they select the K-01 over something cheaper/better/more well known? The K-01 being K mount caters to Pentax users, but is likely to be a hindrance to anyone else, as it will limit cross brand compatibility of lenses the same way our DSLRs are, due to the longer register. We've already established that the lack of a VF is a turnoff for most Pentax DSLR users, so with the exception of a niche market of people who own glass and want the video capabilities, the K-01 seems a dead end product, before it's even hatched.
02-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #6
Pentaxian
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,624
I would definitely get it as a backup to a k-5/k-5 replacement if it were 500. So I'll wait a bit.
02-05-2012, 03:07 PM   #7
Forum Member
Opethian's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: London
Posts: 57
In my opinion, the lack of a viewfinder has been blown out of proportion. Sure it's a negative. But if it performs smoothly as much recent Panasonic M4/3's cameras, then we have a winner here.
02-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Biro's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,159
Original Poster
I agree with Adam's prediction that the K-01 will drop by $100 fairly quickly. Myself, given that the price of a Ricoh GXR with S10 module runs $549 (street), the Fujifilm X10 is $599, and the Olympus E-PL3 with kit lens is now going for about $649 - and all of these cameras have sensors smaller than the K-01 - I think $599 to $649 is the magic range for many.

Keep in mind that MSRP on Canon's G1-X is $799. It will be particularly interesting to see how the new Pentax does against this camera, which is a not particularly small brick itself:

http://camerasize.com/compare/#285,257

I was corresponding with some Pentaxians on another site this weekend. The group tends to run a bit on the older and more traditional side. I was struck by how enthusiastic most of them seemed to be about the K-01.

02-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member
wlachan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,626
I think the initial price is reasonable consider it is new with aluminum body. The lack of VF and the flimsy rubber cover aren't what I expect though. But if Ricoh managed to manufacture them super reliable, maybe there is still hope.
02-05-2012, 03:54 PM   #10
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,556
Well I'm in for a good deal on K-01 yellow with 40mm lens for 610 euro. I think I will do that.
02-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #11
New Member




Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6
K-01

I guess it will have it's place. I can't see it being used much outdoors unless you want to go back to the time when you covered your head with a hood when you took a picture. Just IMO
02-05-2012, 04:24 PM   #12
Pentaxian
konraDarnok's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Photos: Albums
Posts: 960
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
mirrorless fad

I'm telling you, these buggy whips are a growing market!
02-05-2012, 04:43 PM   #13
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 4,988
A hoodman type eyepiece/loupe (I saw a picture of someone already with the K-01 and such a device -- where was that?) seems like a viable option -- then you're putting the camera up to your eye (within 3-4 inches) and can hold it more or less normally.
02-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #14
Veteran Member
creampuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,955
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
...
Those people are not going to own any Pentax glass, or know the first thing about it. Why on Earth would they select the K-01 over something cheaper/better/more well known? The K-01 being K mount caters to Pentax users, but is likely to be a hindrance to anyone else, as it will limit cross brand compatibility of lenses the same way our DSLRs are, due to the longer register. We've already established that the lack of a VF is a turnoff for most Pentax DSLR users, so with the exception of a niche market of people who own glass and want the video capabilities, the K-01 seems a dead end product, before it's even hatched.
Your assumption is flawed and fails to recognize that there is a large segment who do want a step up in quality from their mobile phones and point and shoot cameras. Now the K-01 is reasonably priced and delivers very good image quality plus an entry point into affordable Pentax and third party K-mount lenses (whether new or legacy lenses). With regards to cross compatibility with other lenses and mounts, most people want simple solutions, not one involving the use of lens adapters that limit portability and restrict full functionality. What many like you fail to understand is people who buy a Pentax K-01 will likely bolster the sales of other Pentax products including cameras and lenses. This is a good thing for everyone.
02-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Douglas_of_Sweden's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Stockholm
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,347
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Your assumption is flawed and fails to recognize that there is a large segment who do want a step up in quality from their mobile phones and point and shoot cameras. Now the K-01 is reasonably priced and delivers very good image quality plus an entry point into affordable Pentax and third party K-mount lenses (whether new or legacy lenses). With regards to cross compatibility with other lenses and mounts, most people want simple solutions, not one involving the use of lens adapters that limit portability and restrict full functionality. What many like you fail to understand is people who buy a Pentax K-01 will likely bolster the sales of other Pentax products including cameras and lenses. This is a good thing for everyone.
Well spoken (or written to be precise).
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, k-01, k01, mirrorless, pentax k-01, price
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Tenba 638-342 Messenger Camera Bag (Olive) - 2nd PRICE Drop GDRoth Sold Items 5 10-01-2011 04:15 PM
Pentax K-7, a pro camera at an amateur price? Student Pentax DSLR Discussion 4 01-05-2011 04:51 AM
People Аbout girls (The same but for the critics) Svyatosha Photo Critique 5 07-18-2010 08:54 AM
Pentax K20D Critics... benjikan Pentax DSLR Discussion 48 02-08-2008 12:38 PM
Critics for humane society project? d.bradley Photographic Technique 8 02-07-2008 12:39 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:02 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top