Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
Forum Member

k-mount on K-01 question

How is one supposed to hold the camera with any lens other than a flat/light pancake lens?

Even with a moderately short and not too heavy lens - let's say the 100mm Macro WR - how is one supposed to take pictures with it? I'm guessing you have to hold it at arms length so you can actually see the back, but doing so seems both tiring and unstable... Don't even think about attaching a heavier * zoom to it - at least on some other mirrorless with EVF, you can hold it with both hands and next to your eyes - creating 3 points of contact and making the whole contraption more stable (it still looks a bit weird but at least you can take photos with it).

It's nice that this camera can take k-mount, but realistically without an eyepiece of some sort, not sure how useful the vast majority of the lens would be on it...

02-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How do people do it with the NEX3 and NEX5...?

I don't imagine you have to do it at arms length - heck, I know I barely use my iphone at more than a few inches away and that's got a decent sized screen. As far as "vast majority of lenses"

Every DA prime from 70mm down should be fine on this camera.
Same with the FA series.
Same with the F series.
...Same with the A series.
M series.
K series.

Zooms are a bigger issue, and of course prevalent in the other mirrorless cameras too. Our 18-55 is pretty small, and wouldn't look stupid on the camera. We have a bunch of small, slow, zooms (35-75 anyone? 80-200?) that would look pretty normal on this camera.

And find that Singapore thread about the K-01 and ask them how the 100mm macro felt on the camera - they used it and caught some awesome pictures.
02-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #3

Check out this thread from the forum...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01-forum/174006-hands-photos-k-0...ser-group.html
02-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a K-7 and several lenses. When I carry the (body+ lens), I like to hold the lens and body together, often by supporting the lens close to the K-mount. This is especially relevant to a few heavy lenses that I have.

With the K-01, I would do the same. Hold the lens when I carry the body+ lens.

Shooting will be a new experience. (I use a lot the optical viewfinder and the K-01 has only a LCD. .. ) But I see no major issue, again hoding the lens if necessary.

Hope that the comment may help.

02-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hmm, I guess I'm just used to an eye piece... I never got into the NEX series until they have the EVF. I'm not saying that it's not possible to take good photos holding the camera steady with just 2 points of contact - just think it's awkward and potentially tiring - at least for me.

Not sure how the macro pictures are done in the s'pore thread - maybe on a tripod, which is probably a good idea for macro on any camera though.

I guess in the end it just comes down to personal preference. I have a few friends with NEX that doesn't have an EVF, maybe I'll check to see how it handles with a big lens...
02-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The NEX series looks amazingly awkward with longer lenses. From what I can see of the K-01 (including the picture with the DA 300), it looks less clumsy. And that rubber grip is going to be a godsend compared to the plastic or metal grips of the other M4/3s cameras (I'm looking at you, Nikon V1/J1).

Yes, without the VF it'll be a little trickier to shoot using a longer lens. However, using a short prime like the DA 70, DA 40, or DA 21... there shouldn't be any problems. The shorter the focal length, the less camera shake you have to worry about - especially camera shake caused by your muscles tiring with weight. It's just different than a DSLR with a VF. I'm used to shooting with my iPhone now, and as far as taking pictures with the LCD screen, it isn't so tremendously bad. I can look closer at the screen when I want - try that with a viewfinder...

I will say though - I wish it had a viewfinder. But lacking one doesn't kill it for me. I would get this (or it's subsequent spawn) after I get my k-5. It's nice to have a small video camera that I can put a DA 55 to.
02-06-2012, 04:38 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

My opinion is that unless a manufacturer releases lens with a similar form factor to match a small camera like the nex (most current nex lenses are still a little big IMHO), it kinda negates the benefits of striving to make the camera smaller and smaller.

I really can't see myself buying the k-01 to use a long lens like my tamron 70-200 but neither will I be buying a nex with an adaptor to use with a Sony 70-200. But I will buy a k-01 to use with my current collection of pancake lenses.

Given that the k-01 is bigger in size than the nex, but seems to balance better with the existing pancake lenses, I would say the k-01 is more appealing to me than any of the nex series.
02-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #8

It seems for me that the K-01 has the right sized body. The NEX seems weird with any lens you put at it, even a simple 18-55. Off balance to put it better.
For those going >300, the K-01 might not be the right tool for it, but I don't thing that's it target. When you going for that, you talking tripods and very expensive lens, with is a different public and a diferrent budget. No camera can please all. Diferrent groups require different tools.