Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2012, 01:46 PM   #256
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,187
Since this thread is now completely off the rails, let me toss in my "car"




Not a box to be found on this beauty!

Just be glad that I didn't throw a unicorn in here...

02-20-2012, 01:47 PM   #257
Veteran Member
westmill's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Stoke on Trent
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,146
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Since this thread is now completely off the rails, let me toss in my "car"




Not a box to be found on this beauty!

Just be glad that I didn't throw a unicorn in here...
Soooooo you do have a tad of taste occasionly lol
02-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #258
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: kobe/japan
Posts: 510
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I'm sure there are places in the world where those things are used as cars.
Rather than being a dork, show me a car that is not a 3 box design that has actually made it to production.
Better yet, show me 10.

So again you are defining a car to be a 3 box design. Great for you.

What I showed you is a car. I chose to call it a car. It does not conform to your old ideas but it is a modern car.

How about you accept modern ideas and changes that comes with it.


Or you could provide list of attributes unique to car and tell us that a vehicle is a car if and only if it confirms these ideas.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Three boxes:
1 engine compartment
2: passenger compartment
3: luggage compartment.
This three box definition is not acceptable because it defines car as 3 boxes and then you claim that I have never seen a car without 3 boxes.

It is like saying that
A person is a man if his name is John.

Then claim I have never met a man whose name is not John.

Go ahead enlighten me of what makes car a car other than 3 boxes that you listed.
02-20-2012, 03:51 PM   #259
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Posts: 10,157
QuoteOriginally posted by zxaar Quote
So again you are defining a car to be a 3 box design. Great for you.

What I showed you is a car. I chose to call it a car. It does not conform to your old ideas but it is a modern car.

How about you accept modern ideas and changes that comes with it.


Or you could provide list of attributes unique to car and tell us that a vehicle is a car if and only if it confirms these ideas.



This three box definition is not acceptable because it defines car as 3 boxes and then you claim that I have never seen a car without 3 boxes.

It is like saying that
A person is a man if his name is John.

Then claim I have never met a man whose name is not John.

Go ahead enlighten me of what makes car a car other than 3 boxes that you listed.
Better still, show me a significant number of cars that deviate from the 3 box norm (and lets keep it to street legal vehicles). Remember, there is no reason why the boxes can't be the same size (as a station wagon).
One offs and rare exceptions and your stupid deflection don't make much of an argument.
The reason why the very vast majority of cars on the road today follow the conventional 3 box design is because it is a logical arrangement that works.
In much the same way, the traditional SLR hasn't changed shape very much over the past 6 decades because the traditional SLR shape is proven to work.

02-20-2012, 04:11 PM   #260
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: kobe/japan
Posts: 510
this page is interesting:

http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2008/05/worlds-smallest-cars-part-2.html





QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Better still, show me a significant number of cars that deviate from the 3 box norm (and lets keep it to street legal vehicles). Remember, there is no reason why the boxes can't be the same size (as a station wagon).
One offs and rare exceptions and your stupid deflection don't make much of an argument.
The reason why the very vast majority of cars on the road today follow the conventional 3 box design is because it is a logical arrangement that works.
In much the same way, the traditional SLR hasn't changed shape very much over the past 6 decades because the traditional SLR shape is proven to work.

You have still not defined what makes a car a car other than those 3 boxes. You can not.


About me showing you 10 designs that does not confirm to your ideas.



[IMG] 030_pics.jpg (image) [/IMG]


[IMG] 1809302885_05294f0410_o.jpg (image) [/IMG]


[IMG] http://archive.cardesignnews.com/autoshows/2002/paris/preview/peugeot-h20/im...geot-h2o43.jpg [/IMG]

Peugeot H2O concept

[IMG] 2082347513_9bb7365d2e_o.jpg (image) [/IMG]


[IMG] 1119024374_9774e46756_o.jpg (image) [/IMG]


[IMG] 1295506490_5d41cfb1e6.jpg (image) [/IMG]


[IMG] 1265999890_8e30f544c8_o.jpg (image) [/IMG]


[IMG] Blackjack_Avion.jpg (image) [/IMG]


[IMG] 1948 Davis Divan-lgrn-1of17=mx=.jpg (image) [/IMG]


[IMG] __BMW__1-60.jpg (image) [/IMG]




1972 Norsjo Shopper

BMW Isetta / Hot Wheels WHATTADRAG

BMW Isetta / Hot Wheels WHATTADRAG

Last edited by zxaar; 02-20-2012 at 04:24 PM.
02-20-2012, 04:22 PM   #261
Veteran Member
riff's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,408
Good grief, what a silly thread. cya!
02-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #262
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Posts: 10,157
QuoteOriginally posted by zxaar Quote
this page is interesting:

Dark Roasted Blend: World's Smallest Cars, Part 2








You have still not defined what makes a car a car other than those 3 boxes. You can not.


About me showing you 10 designs that does not confirm to your ideas.











Peugeot H2O concept
























1972 Norsjo Shopper

BMW Isetta / Hot Wheels WHATTADRAG

BMW Isetta / Hot Wheels WHATTADRAG
Your links are as broken as your arguments.
02-20-2012, 06:03 PM - 1 Like   #263
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,187












02-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #264
Loyal Site Supporter
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,018
This has gone so far south....I bet if I posted a shot of a handsome Squirrel right here I could turn it all around?

Before it is shut down.......my favorite Box. I think it qualifies as much as almost anything for being a worthy box? ....and it has a nice clear "viewfinder" too!
Name:  77082395.UleIquhB.Jeep.JPG
Views: 805
Size:  526.5 KB
Regards!
02-20-2012, 07:29 PM   #265
Veteran Member
creampuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,955
I actually drive a Subaru R1 for my daily runabout and while it may look different, it's a lovely car.
This Japanese "kei" car was pretty popular during it's production run.
I get a frugal 20km/litre from it, and considering Singapore is one of the most expensive cities to own a car, it's terrific value.




Last edited by creampuff; 02-20-2012 at 07:35 PM.
02-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #266
Loyal Site Supporter
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,018
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I actually drive a Subaru R1 for my daily runabout and while it may look different, it's a lovely car.
This Japanese "kei" car was pretty popular during it's production run.
I get a frugal 20km/litre from it, and considering Singapore is one of the most expensive cities to own a car, it's terrific value.


Well, it is certainly a neat looking little car, I'll give it that!
Regards!
02-21-2012, 07:00 AM   #267
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,254
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
This has gone so far south....I bet if I posted a shot of a handsome Squirrel right here I could turn it all around?

Before it is shut down.......my favorite Box. I think it qualifies as much as almost anything for being a worthy box? ....and it has a nice clear "viewfinder" too!
Attachment 118634
Regards!
My best friend's car...
02-21-2012, 08:50 AM   #268
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,450
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote


#1 answers all questions. Q.E.D.
02-21-2012, 08:51 AM   #269
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Posts: 10,157
And every one of those cars is a 3 box design. Imagine that.
02-21-2012, 09:55 AM   #270
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,187
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
And every one of those cars is a 3 box design. Imagine that.
Actually, no. The Boxster, Caymen, Lotus Elise and MRSpyder are mid engined with 2 luggage compartments front and rear and drivetrain components divided front-rear for weight distribution (i.e., radiator and battery up front). So the boxes aren't quite as tidily arranged as you think.

Likewise, the 911 reverses the order of the boxes, and the Prius battery pack is not located in the same box as the motor. Plenty of cars like the Corvette also move the transmission to the rear of the car, away from the engine, for improved weight distribution, so they are not, by your own definition 3-box designs but rather "1/2 a box, 1 box, the other half of the first box, and the last box on top" designs. I could even add the new Acura sports car, which will be rear-engined but will have electric motors driving the front wheel, so the engine box is actually split into three. By your definition, I'd argue that the only cars that really satisfy your three box criteria are front-wheel drive cars as they have engines and drivetrains together, and even that's a stretch because they also often have tanks and rear suspension components separate.

In any case, your definition of "box" is quite loose, as the photos posted don't look at all like boxes. If by box you really mean "component" or "area", then it's hard to argue, because by definition, cars need a passenger space, luggage space, and space for a propulsion system.

I could similarly reduce a camera to three boxes - control, lens, and sensor - and argue that the K-01 fits the 3 box design quite nicely.

What are we arguing about again?

Last edited by johnmflores; 02-21-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, cameras, design, k-01, k01, marc, mirrorless, on/off, pentax, pentax k-01, products, rams
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-01 Officially Announced - *START HERE* + Interview with Marc Newson Adam Pentax News and Rumors 48 05-11-2012 05:29 PM
Pentax Ricoh Imaging Americas introduces pentax k-01 designed by Marc Newson Adam Homepage & Official Pentax News 0 02-02-2012 05:10 AM
FA Limited lens series won the 2010 Good Design Long Life Design Award Patriot Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 26 11-29-2010 06:16 AM
What happens if SDM fails? Hannican Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 08-19-2010 04:13 AM
Hitlers SDM Fails knumbnutz Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 25 04-11-2010 08:17 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:41 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top