Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2012, 08:40 AM   #196
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
At least no one has been compared to Hitler yet.
Sounds like something Hitler would say...

02-10-2012, 01:36 PM   #197
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
There are many comma jokes out there. The most famous is "Eats, shoots, and leaves." The focus isn't on the statement but on the commas.
I realize the meaning changes with the placement of that comma but it still trivializes what many people regard as a serious and tragic issue. You can't ignore the source because if nobody clubbed baby seals to death there'd be no joke.
02-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #198
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would happilly shoot sumone I saw clubbing a cub seal ! I still think Rondecs joke was brilliant !!!!!!
02-12-2012, 05:12 AM   #199
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Marc Newson's K0-1 design clearly makes strong references to the design style of Dieter Rams, an industrial designer well-known through his work for the German company Braun.
Thanks -- I enjoyed this post. But it seems to me that the K-01 has a very strong family resemblance with this turntable by Ram, especially with the new 40mm mounted:

So are you saying that the K-01 isn't Rammish enough? I'm not a designer, but to my eyes it's hard to see how it could be.

02-12-2012, 06:16 AM   #200
Veteran Member

Yesterday I opened my drawer with Takumars.
Today I closed it once again.
How I love the yellow colour of the K-01.
Wished I could use it, use it for a while.
And know.
How to make up my mind.
Box me in. Curiousity costs nothing. Not even design.
02-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #201
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
So are you saying that the K-01 isn't Rammish enough? I'm not a designer, but to my eyes it's hard to see how it could be.
Yes, the K-01 is not Ramsish enough.

Do you see a snorkel/chimney contraption anywhere on the turntable?

It seems Newson would have decided that the turntable is not big enough as it as and decided to create a little extra protruding space for the speed selector, including a pedestal for it.
02-12-2012, 04:44 PM   #202
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It seems Newson would have decided that the turntable is not big enough as it as and decided to create a little extra protruding space for the speed selector, including a pedestal for it.
Oh you mean like these. HigherFi-Ultimate - The Worlds Best and Most Expensive Turntables

02-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #203
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
LMAo

i think my favourite over the top design is the clear audio

02-13-2012, 02:40 PM   #204
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The Thorens Reference is not to be sniffed at either.

02-13-2012, 06:34 PM - 1 Like   #205

Photos: Albums
Seems that nobody here has bothered mentioning this - but traditionally cameras have been exceedingly uninteresting in terms of design. The most lauded designs recently (looking at Fuji) have been what amount to carbon copies of older designs - not bad, but certainly not original or forward-thinking. I find most of the mirrorless segment to be either unoriginally copying old cameras, or taking cues from the totally uninspired compact point-and-shoot segment.

DSLR's are even worse. The K-5 (and K-7) are the only DSLRs in recent memory that exhibit design worth making any noise about, and even then they are not making waves or new statements. For the average consumer, DSLRs are literally indistinguishable from one another, and none of them offer anything visually interesting in terms of design. We've progressed hardly at all since the 90s, and if you didn't know what the models were going in, you wouldn't be able to tell from looking at the front whether the k-5 came before or after the *ist. Other manufacturers are as bad or worse.

While I don't cherish the "planned obsolescence", fashion-focused development of the automotive industry, the constant competition for an inspired, compelling design keeps things interesting, and many of the cars are pieces of art in their own right. I think we should applaud Pentax for doing something different, even if the design isn't universally appealing. It's a welcome change from the stagnant state of SLR design, and I think that many people outside of the change-wary DSLR crowd will find it appealing, or at least not boring for once.
02-14-2012, 01:21 AM   #206
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The Digital Camera Info review says
"The camera itself doesn’t handle poorly, but we’d hardly call it an ergonomic wonder either."
They don't like the grip that much and criticise the exposure button placement in particular:
"The worst is the placement of the exposure comp. button, which is located just beside the control dial that affects it. ... It’s an altogether awkward proposition to say the least."
While I accept that some find the camera easy to handle it also must be noted that the exposure button placement has been criticised more than once now in the young history of the K-01.
02-14-2012, 05:48 AM   #207
Veteran Member

The Digital Camera Info review says
"The camera itself doesn’t handle poorly, but we’d hardly call it an ergonomic wonder either."
They don't like the grip that much and criticise the exposure button placement in particular:
"The worst is the placement of the exposure comp. button, which is located just beside the control dial that affects it. ... It’s an altogether awkward proposition to say the least."
While I accept that some find the camera easy to handle it also must be noted that the exposure button placement has been criticised more than once now in the young history of the K-01.
By their description, it sounds like they tried to press and hold the Exposure Compensation button while simultaneously spinning the dial. As was discussed elsewhere, this is not necessary. Users can tap the Exp Comp button, then spin the dial, then tap the Exp Comp button again. The K-x and K-5 work this way as well.

Last edited by johnmflores; 02-14-2012 at 05:58 AM.
02-14-2012, 06:34 AM   #208
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eigengrau Quote
Seems that nobody here has bothered mentioning this - but traditionally cameras have been exceedingly uninteresting in terms of design. The most lauded designs recently (looking at Fuji) have been what amount to carbon copies of older designs - not bad, but certainly not original or forward-thinking. I find most of the mirrorless segment to be either unoriginally copying old cameras, or taking cues from the totally uninspired compact point-and-shoot segment.

DSLR's are even worse. The K-5 (and K-7) are the only DSLRs in recent memory that exhibit design worth making any noise about, and even then they are not making waves or new statements. For the average consumer, DSLRs are literally indistinguishable from one another, and none of them offer anything visually interesting in terms of design. We've progressed hardly at all since the 90s, and if you didn't know what the models were going in, you wouldn't be able to tell from looking at the front whether the k-5 came before or after the *ist. Other manufacturers are as bad or worse.

While I don't cherish the "planned obsolescence", fashion-focused development of the automotive industry, the constant competition for an inspired, compelling design keeps things interesting, and many of the cars are pieces of art in their own right. I think we should applaud Pentax for doing something different, even if the design isn't universally appealing. It's a welcome change from the stagnant state of SLR design, and I think that many people outside of the change-wary DSLR crowd will find it appealing, or at least not boring for once.
Consider that the reason for why cameras look the way they do is because it gives a good, ergonomic tool to work with. Car exteriors are a somewhat different kettle of fish because they are not operated from the outside. Get into a car, pretty much any car, and you will find that the designer has gone to some effort to ensure things work, and most cars are, to a great extent, carbon copies of each other WRT control placement. Also, a lot of those nice, work of art designs have styling that erodes the functionality of the car.
It might make a nice design statement to alter the pedal placement, but it would make the care dangerous to drive.
I suspect if Newson designed a car interior, the pedals would be in the back seat and the steering wheel on the passenger side.
02-14-2012, 06:56 AM - 1 Like   #209
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I suspect if Newson designed a car interior, the pedals would be in the back seat
I imagine my kids would find that arrangement quite enjoyable.
02-14-2012, 07:26 AM   #210
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
As was discussed elsewhere, this is not necessary.
Indeed. It seems a lot of people assume the way they are used to doing things is the only way things can (or should) be done. In handling a new device like a camera it's a bit like travelling to another country and finding that the car you have just hired is LH drive instead of RH drive, and then criticizing the car maker for the stupid layout of the gear shift and console controls. Don't they know ergonomics!