Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 46 Likes Search this Thread
02-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #241
Veteran Member

Not too many 3 box designs on this page:
space age cars - Google Search

I particularly like the flying saucer...

http://www.ecofriend.com/entry/10-breathtaking-space-age-vehicles-roaring-to...-green-future/

02-19-2012, 09:30 PM   #242
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That is what...

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Because of the ability to understand a standard (neutral) English accent, with no rising inflections and no use of the words "like", "wow" or "man" (together or separately)?
Haha, that is what I tell people grad school did to me.

P.S. That, and the fact that IE 8 (or 9?, whatever is the latest) and Windows 7 won't let me change the color of the fonts in my posts, and place emoticons, etc. The Pentax Forum site seems to do that to this machine for some reason. All I can do is straight post and reply.
02-19-2012, 09:40 PM   #243
Veteran Member

I like...

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Not too many 3 box designs on this page:
space age cars - Google Search

I particularly like the flying saucer...

10 breathtaking Space-Age vehicles roaring towards a green future!
I like the VW in your second link. Detachable suitcase. That has some serious thought behind it, ight.
02-19-2012, 09:48 PM   #244
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
I like the VW in your second link. Detachable suitcase. That has some serious thought behind it, ight.
Yeah and almost none of them are boxes on wheels.

02-19-2012, 10:08 PM   #245
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Not a criticism of the design, just an observation, from the angle that I was looking at a few mirrorless cam's last Friday when picking up my new K-5. I was holding the cameras up, composing with the LV screens on the back, then I noticed the way I was holding the cameras of that kind, not in the traditional way I would hold my Dslrs, (even when using LV on my K-7) by the normal hand grip position with my thumb on the back surface, forefinger on front surface and index finger free to press the shutter ontop, but, more in the way I would hold a phonecam, my hand making a "C" shape, with my thumb under the body, forefinger on the top surface to the front of the plate, leaving my index finger free to press the shutterbutton on top as well, but all the cameras I tried had space at the front of the top plate for my finger and the shutter button placed so as I could easily access and press it with my index finger, then I thought of the K-01, and the fact that I would probably try to hold it in the same manner, thumb under the camera on the bottom, forefinger ontop to the front, but then I would not be able to press the shutter as it was on the front of the top plate were a traditional slr design, so I would be unable to press it, or have be forced to hold the camera as I would my K-7..which is actually why I don't use the LV too much on my slr, as its un-natural for me to hold a camera out infront of me that way, my wrist is already almost at it's limmit of down angle and to compose I find myslf awkwardly contorting my wrist and elbow to get what I want in frame.

Whats peoples thoughts, just sort of be a bit uncomfortable me, nothing I'm sure I maybe wouldn't get used to, but odd.????

Oh, and I can't really comment on this "3 Box" vehicle design as I have always had "2 Box" design vehicles Such as the original 2 box Morris Mini Copper "S" and my Jeep, so all this modern "3 Box" design is scaring me........and just plain greedy I say..
02-20-2012, 07:42 AM   #246
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Not a criticism of the design, just an observation, from the angle that I was looking at a few mirrorless cam's last Friday when picking up my new K-5. I was holding the cameras up, composing with the LV screens on the back, then I noticed the way I was holding the cameras of that kind, not in the traditional way I would hold my Dslrs, (even when using LV on my K-7) by the normal hand grip position with my thumb on the back surface, forefinger on front surface and index finger free to press the shutter ontop, but, more in the way I would hold a phonecam, my hand making a "C" shape, with my thumb under the body, forefinger on the top surface to the front of the plate, leaving my index finger free to press the shutterbutton on top as well, but all the cameras I tried had space at the front of the top plate for my finger and the shutter button placed so as I could easily access and press it with my index finger, then I thought of the K-01, and the fact that I would probably try to hold it in the same manner, thumb under the camera on the bottom, forefinger ontop to the front, but then I would not be able to press the shutter as it was on the front of the top plate were a traditional slr design, so I would be unable to press it, or have be forced to hold the camera as I would my K-7..which is actually why I don't use the LV too much on my slr, as its un-natural for me to hold a camera out infront of me that way, my wrist is already almost at it's limmit of down angle and to compose I find myslf awkwardly contorting my wrist and elbow to get what I want in frame.

It really doesn't matter if you are on your long awaited vacation trip to the beautiful deserts of the Southwwest, or their cities or countrysides, or anyplace the sun shines in all its glory. You can hold it up close or try to hold it out in front of you until your arms tire and drop off on the ground.......but you still aren't going to see a damn thing. Mrs Rupert's Panasonic landed in the river because it was worthless in the bright Texas sun, and she had had enough frustration trying to see what she was about to shoot. I never criticized her for the toss.....she was absolutely right.
If you shoot indoors or on cloudy days, you just have an arm-weary problem.......if you shoot on sunny days, just save yourself frustration and weary arms and stay home.
For all the innovations and advances in technology we have seen, this is still why they don't put a steering wheel in the trunk of your car.
Regards!
02-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #247
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zxaar Quote
That is because you define the car to be something made up of 3 boxes.

I can argue that this is also a car.

It has 4 wheels , it has seet for driver. It takes a person from 1 place to another just like a car with 3 boxes.

Now you would tell me that this is not a car because it does not have 3 boxes that you define a car should have. (hence the reason you have not seen a car without 3 boxes).
I'm sure there are places in the world where those things are used as cars.
Rather than being a dork, show me a car that is not a 3 box design that has actually made it to production.
Better yet, show me 10.

02-20-2012, 10:28 AM   #248
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I'm sure there are places in the world where those things are used as cars.
Rather than being a dork, show me a car that is not a 3 box design that has actually made it to production.
Better yet, show me 10.
Minivans are one box design if they have practically no hood extension. Most don't these days.

Station wagons and hatchbacks are two box design.

Wikipedia inspired reply.
02-20-2012, 10:32 AM   #249
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Mrs Rupert's Panasonic landed in the river because it was worthless in the bright Texas sun, and she had had enough frustration trying to see what she was about to shoot.
Am I to conclude that she pulled the battery first? I like fishing.
02-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #250
Loyal Site Supporter

Minivans are one box design if they have practically no hood extension. Most don't these days.

Station wagons and hatchbacks are two box design.

Wikipedia inspired reply.
When I made my original post, I mentioned that two boxes were sometimes the same size :IE station wagons.
Three boxes:
1 engine compartment
2: passenger compartment
3: luggage compartment.

Other than a very few cabover van designs, passenger vehicles conform to a three box design.
Come back and point to the passenger designs that put a seat in the luggage compartment. They exist and you seem to feel the need to disagree, even in the face of pretty overwhelming evidence.
I'm sure you can find a few outliers.
02-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #251
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Am I to conclude that she pulled the battery first? I like fishing.
I heard the splash, and then it was gone.....she'd been complaining for ages she wanted a camera with a viewfinder. No, she didn't pull the battery, and I don't argue with Otis or Mrs Rupert......either one will make you pay if you do.

She now has the little X10 with a great OVF...every so often I let her touch it.....for just a few seconds!

Regards!
02-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #252
Veteran Member

Since...

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
When I made my original post, I mentioned that two boxes were sometimes the same size :IE station wagons.
Three boxes:
1 engine compartment
2: passenger compartment
3: luggage compartment.

Other than a very few cabover van designs, passenger vehicles conform to a three box design.
Come back and point to the passenger designs that put a seat in the luggage compartment. They exist and you seem to feel the need to disagree, even in the face of pretty overwhelming evidence.
I'm sure you can find a few outliers.
Since I wasn't the original dork that you referred to, I am resigning from this conversation The original dork can pick up the ball if they want. However, I can't understand why hatchbacks don't fit your model for 2 boxes. Some of them don't have much in terms of luggage space, and what they do have for luggage space is definitely not articulated in the vehicle massing any differently than the passenger box. I am really not sure what you are getting at.
02-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #253
Veteran Member

Over...

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I heard the splash, and then it was gone.....she'd been complaining for ages she wanted a camera with a viewfinder. No, she didn't pull the battery, and I don't argue with Otis or Mrs Rupert......either one will make you pay if you do.

She now has the little X10 with a great OVF...every so often I let her touch it.....for just a few seconds!

Regards!
Over and out. Not willing to risk rabies. Mrs. Rupert got her shots I hope.
02-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #254
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Reinventing the chair

I don't get the controversy about how to count "boxes".

The heart of the matter is the reason for the existence of the phrase "Reinventing the wheel".

In principle, there is no need to reinvent the wheel. But designers have to nevertheless. Why pay a star designer when all they come up with is yet another round wheel? How, as a designer, do you want to be able to auction one of your designs for ridiculous amounts of money, if you do not put your own twist on products (even if untwisted wheels work best)? If you want to stick out of the mass of nameless designers, you have to push your signature colours, signature curves, and signature design philosophy no matter whether the product is improved by these things or not.

Ever noticed that every designer has to come up with their own chair design and you can always immediately tell that the design is neither practical nor comfortable? In industrial design, "reinventing the wheel" tranlslates to "reinventing the chair".
02-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #255
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I don't get the controversy about how to count "boxes".
It's because there are people out there who will zoom in on a particular concept, find the 1 in a million exception and figure that because they've found it, the concept itself is false all the time, rather than just 1 time in a million.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 02-20-2012 at 03:43 PM.