Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2012, 10:11 AM   #271
Banned

02-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #272
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I see in the interview with the Japanese Pentax chap,
on being asked about the K-01 colours, he said Marc Newson came up with an all black one first...
Funnily enough, an all black one is being rumoured for sale in Australia.
Maybe they made him do the snorkel too

Last edited by Transit; 02-21-2012 at 03:45 PM.
02-21-2012, 11:03 PM   #273
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Actually, no. The Boxster, Caymen, Lotus Elise and MRSpyder are mid engined with 2 luggage compartments front and rear and drivetrain components divided front-rear for weight distribution (i.e., radiator and battery up front). So the boxes aren't quite as tidily arranged as you think.

Likewise, the 911 reverses the order of the boxes, and the Prius battery pack is not located in the same box as the motor. Plenty of cars like the Corvette also move the transmission to the rear of the car, away from the engine, for improved weight distribution, so they are not, by your own definition 3-box designs but rather "1/2 a box, 1 box, the other half of the first box, and the last box on top" designs. I could even add the new Acura sports car, which will be rear-engined but will have electric motors driving the front wheel, so the engine box is actually split into three. By your definition, I'd argue that the only cars that really satisfy your three box criteria are front-wheel drive cars as they have engines and drivetrains together, and even that's a stretch because they also often have tanks and rear suspension components separate.

In any case, your definition of "box" is quite loose, as the photos posted don't look at all like boxes. If by box you really mean "component" or "area", then it's hard to argue, because by definition, cars need a passenger space, luggage space, and space for a propulsion system.

I could similarly reduce a camera to three boxes - control, lens, and sensor - and argue that the K-01 fits the 3 box design quite nicely.

What are we arguing about again?
I'm not sure, what you are saying is that they aren't 3 box designs, and yet they still have an engine compartment of sorts, a passenger compartment and a luggage compartment? And one gives a bonus luggage compartment.
The K-01 is missing a viewfinder, that's all.
And it's ugly.
02-22-2012, 12:03 AM   #274

Wow, someone really loves the idea of the three box design beeing absolute. Well at least it's been entertaining.

Could you please tell me how the Smart Fourtwo is a three box design? Maybe the glove box is counted as a storage room? Or the passengers seat?

How about a modern Lotus Elise? The "storage department" on that car is shared with the engine.

My family had a Toyota with the engine located under and behind the drivers seat. The Volkswagen Type 2 series had the engine located under the joint passengers/storage department. If these cars are classified as three box designs, the logic would imply that an electrical car like the Nissan Leaf has to be a four box design. Counting the battery pack as the fourth box. Not to mention hybrid cars.

BTW: The K-01 does have a viewfinder. The screen. Which, unlike the viewfinder on my ME Super, also allows me to view the pictures after they're taken. I like it You don't.

02-22-2012, 04:22 AM   #275
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
I see in the interview with the Japanese Pentax chap,
on being asked about the K-01 colours, he said Marc Newson came up with an all black one first...
Funnily enough, an all black one is being rumoured for sale in Australia.
Maybe they made him do the snorkel too
It comes with an underwater housing and a pair of flippers in case you were wondering.
02-22-2012, 04:58 AM   #276
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Its like rule of thirds. then you break it.
03-12-2012, 02:51 AM   #277
Pentaxian

Original Poster
From Adam's K-01 report:
"All buttons and dials essential for shooting are on the right hand side within easy reach of the thumb and index finger except for the green button which is hard to reach without shifting the position of the hand. This is somewhat unfortunate in particular for users of legacy lenses like the K and M series, which require stop down metering with the green button. This bad placement of the green button is the second of the two issues we found where design won over function."

03-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #278
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
From Adam's K-01 report:
"All buttons and dials essential for shooting are on the right hand side within easy reach of the thumb and index finger except for the green button which is hard to reach without shifting the position of the hand. This is somewhat unfortunate in particular for users of legacy lenses like the K and M series, which require stop down metering with the green button. This bad placement of the green button is the second of the two issues we found where design won over function."
So basically they are saying that all the buttons should be on right side otherwise it is a fail. If I read them properly they are saying that all the buttons should be within thumb's reach. Now if someone did that you will see all the control inside a small circle and rest of the body will be plain and empty. That would be ridiculous in my opinion but would make such reviewers happy.
03-13-2012, 04:32 PM   #279
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zxaar Quote
So basically they are saying that all the buttons should be on right side otherwise it is a fail. If I read them properly they are saying that all the buttons should be within thumb's reach. Now if someone did that you will see all the control inside a small circle and rest of the body will be plain and empty. That would be ridiculous in my opinion but would make such reviewers happy.

Last edited by luftfluss; 06-08-2016 at 08:24 AM.
03-13-2012, 04:54 PM - 2 Likes   #280
Banned

Photos: Albums
Think of the Pentax K-01 as the camera version of a Subaru. The cars aren't the best looking in the world, but they certainly are some of the most reliable and perform exceptionally well.

As for the K-01 camera. I don't buy cameras for the design; it's all about image quality and the ability to be creative IF one wants to. It's not as classic design as a Leica but it's good the true photographer specs that make it a showcase every time. The K-01 gives better results than cameras costing considerably more. Plus what other camera company out there is offering the "full size" lens variety which also goes back decades.
03-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #281
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The point was about cameras not about music player.

Imagine how you hold camera and take a circle inside thumb of hand holding camera and put all the buttons and controls inside it. Lets see how it looks. Do you have any such example. I can not think of any camera design that does this.
03-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #282
Pentaxian

Original Poster
For those who said it is impossible to judge a camera without handling it, here's the verdict by someone who has handled it extensively:
"In use it is very boxy, not ergonomic, and feels like I am shooting with one of those toy cameras you see in the little kid isle at a toy store. Not sure how much Marc Newson was paid for this design but I feel Pentax could have done much better in this area.
Exactly my sentiment: Pentax on its own would have done a better job with the ergonomics. Hopefully the K-01 will sell and provide joy to their owners anyhow.
03-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #283
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
For those who said it is impossible to judge a camera without handling it, here's the verdict by someone who has handled it extensively:
"In use it is very boxy, not ergonomic, and feels like I am shooting with one of those toy cameras you see in the little kid isle at a toy store. Not sure how much Marc Newson was paid for this design but I feel Pentax could have done much better in this area.
Exactly my sentiment: Pentax on its own would have done a better job with the ergonomics. Hopefully the K-01 will sell and provide joy to their owners anyhow.
Well, some people on this forum have also handled the K-01 extensively, and they like the ergonomics.

Opinions are like a$$holes, everybody's got one, and often they stink.
03-18-2012, 01:56 PM   #284
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The point was about cameras not about music player.

Imagine how you hold camera and take a circle inside thumb of hand holding camera and put all the buttons and controls inside it. Lets see how it looks. Do you have any such example. I can not think of any camera design that does this.

Last edited by luftfluss; 06-08-2016 at 08:24 AM.
03-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #285
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So basically they are saying that all the buttons should be on right side otherwise it is a fail.
Not all buttons, but those you need while shooting.

If I read them properly they are saying that all the buttons should be within thumb's reach.
All buttons on the back should be within thumb's reach. Buttons on the top plate should be within reach of the index finger.

Now if someone did that you will see all the control inside a small circle and rest of the body will be plain and empty. That would be ridiculous in my opinion but would make such reviewers happy.
The K-7 & K-5 have been designed with one-handed operation in mind. They place all shooting related buttons within reach of the right hand. It is not ridiculous but an ergonomic design.

I don't mind slightly bigger bodies and AFAIC the left hand side of a camera body should feature buttons as well for two-handed operation while not shooting. There is no doubt in my mind, though, that all shooting related buttons should be placed on the right hand side within easy reach while holding the camera with a natural shooting grip.