Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2012, 05:10 AM   #1
Pentaxian

New SR in the K-01

It seems there is a new version of the SR in the K-01. The placement of the electrical coils have changed for the first time since, well, ever (as far as I now).

It will be interesting to see if this (and possibly other changes to the SR) will improve its accuracy.

see picture at:
Pentax K-01 Digital Mirrorless - Personal View Talks

02-07-2012, 05:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Indeed; it's a bit smaller now!

Old:

New:
02-07-2012, 05:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The SR on K01 is more important because the way we hold it when shooting, and I even feel it's more effective 'cause I can see the difference clearly (between switching on/off SR). With K5 I can shoot at a lower speed with SR switched off.
02-07-2012, 05:52 AM   #4
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The different layout...Interesting

02-07-2012, 10:47 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Is it the same in the Q?
02-08-2012, 12:01 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
The SR on K01 is more important because the way we hold it when shooting, and I even feel it's more effective 'cause I can see the difference clearly (between switching on/off SR). With K5 I can shoot at a lower speed with SR switched off.
Did you notice any grating noise from the SR? That's been an off/on struggle for many K7/5, and ends up in video clips if an external mic isn't used.

If the K-01 has an improved SR, that would certainly be something to celebrate!
02-08-2012, 12:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Did you notice any grating noise from the SR? That's been an off/on struggle for many K7/5, and ends up in video clips if an external mic isn't used.

If the K-01 has an improved SR, that would certainly be something to celebrate!
Sorry I never checked this. Never noticed any grating noise on my K5 either...
02-08-2012, 02:19 AM   #8
Forum Member

is this SR thing useful for video?
I don't mind the noise, I'll use an external recorder anyway
I ask because I had a Casio point and shoot that had IS designed solely for stills: it helped for those, but you absolutely had to turn it off for shooting video, as it actually introduced extra jerkiness!!

02-08-2012, 04:52 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I guess it depends on how you are shooting. If you are shooting a scene without panning it works great, shake is smoothed out.
Panning works fairly well, but when you stop the pan (unless you are stopping very smooth) the SR will continue the pan slightly and then swing back a little. It is still smooth but if you know what to look for you will notice it.

Well, this is how the K5 does it.

Last edited by Gimbal; 02-08-2012 at 05:33 AM.
02-08-2012, 05:12 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Another question, is SR always on for LV on K-01 (with SR enabled) , or is it possible to turn off SR for LV and still get SR when picture is grabbed?

When using LV on my DSLR it's sometimes difficult to hold the camera as steady with SR on, as you cannot see on LCD how much the camera is moving.

So I think it would be great with separate options for SR in LV and SR for pictures.
02-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It appears they have shrunken the size of the coils quite a bit. Maybe they compensate with stronger magnets...

02-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Maybe it also saves some room in camera depth?
02-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
It appears they have shrunken the size of the coils quite a bit. Maybe they compensate with stronger magnets...
Stronger magnets would need stronger coils, but I don't think the size of the coils limit power of them. BTW those square holes that limit movement of the sensor is smaller on the new mechanism.
02-08-2012, 02:43 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Stronger magnets would need stronger coils, but I don't think the size of the coils limit power of them. BTW those square holes that limit movement of the sensor is smaller on the new mechanism.
No I don't think you would need stronger coils, with at stronger permanent magnetic field you can get the same driving force from the coils with a lower current. I too noticed the size of the square holes, but perhaps the limiting pin inside is smaller as well so that the possible movement is the same.