Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-07-2012, 11:25 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Why I want a K-01

A search on the forum didn't reveal any results on the terms, so perhaps I'm the first one here to say this??

I want a K-01 because it will allow me to use the incredible Pentax lenses, both current and legacy, with a phenomenal and proven sensor. And I can use them silently. Zero shutter sound. And with full-time live view I can shoot more discreetly than I can with a viewfinder at my eye. And it's the best compromise I've ever encountered as a backup camera that doesn't take up much space in the bag.

To put this in perspective, one of my backups is a Canon G10. It works, particularly in good light, and it's my only halfway decent silent option at this point, but it's nowhere near the quality of a proper SLR. And according to camerasize.com (using the Canon G12, the closest match they have in their system) the K-01 is just 8% wider, 4% taller, and 22% thicker than my G10. (Okay, I looked up the dimensions of the G10 and did the math myself. The K-01 is just 12% wider, 1% taller, and 26% thicker than the G10. In other words it's 43% larger overall.) Not much of a size penalty considering the tremendous increase in quality and even larger increase in functionality with interchangeable lenses.

Is it perfect for every situation? No. Is it the sexiest industrial design ever? Not even close. Will it be my only body? Not a chance. Will it be in my bag? You bet.

02-07-2012, 11:37 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great post! That's exactly my POV as well

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-07-2012, 11:53 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
It's a great concept, and a good first iteration.
As much as I love Pentax, I can't see myself buying this particular camera.

What I'd really like in my next Pentax body:
-mirrorless APS-C
-high resolution EVF
-weather seals
-TvAv/dials

K5- but a little smaller, and mirrorless, with super EVF.

I really like the looks of the OM-D- I hope Pentax takes some cues from the design of that camera, and applies them to their groundbreaking work in mirror less APS-C. That will be a game changer, and it will probably sell Pentax a ton of cameras.
I hope the k-01 sells really well for Pentax, and I think it will.
02-08-2012, 12:33 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sean Quote
It's a great concept, and a good first iteration.
As much as I love Pentax, I can't see myself buying this particular camera.

What I'd really like in my next Pentax body:
-mirrorless APS-C
-high resolution EVF
-weather seals
-TvAv/dials

K5- but a little smaller, and mirrorless, with super EVF.

I really like the looks of the OM-D- I hope Pentax takes some cues from the design of that camera, and applies them to their groundbreaking work in mirror less APS-C. That will be a game changer, and it will probably sell Pentax a ton of cameras.
I hope the k-01 sells really well for Pentax, and I think it will.
How much size benefit do you actually think you could gain from a mirrorless K-5 with a super EVF????

I think what you've described is that you want a K-5 with better liveview and video functionality. Which is likely going to be in the replacement for the K-5. What am I missing here? Or do you actually prefer the EVF over an OVF??? I really don't get that.

Most of the complaints about this camera seem to boil down to the same conclusion: I've been waiting for features x, y, and z from Pentax, and this camera doesn't have those, so I think they should have made this camera with x, y, and z. Since they didn't it sucks.

I realize your statements were far more moderate and balanced than that. I've hyperbolized for sure. But what is it you're actually looking for? Is it actually a mirrorless camera???

02-08-2012, 12:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Just think you might want to know that it's not zero shutter sound. Yes, there is no mirror flapping sound. But the shutter is still there, and it still makes some noise. Not as loud as K5 (which is pretty quiet as we all know), but the sound is still there.
02-08-2012, 12:43 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
Correct me if I am wrong, but won't the K-01 still have an audible shutter sound? The specs say it has a quieter mechanical shutter, so I would think it will still be audible like the Olympus/Panasonic m4/3 cameras do, no? I would also imagine that the KAF2 mount has a screw driven autofocus as well for the lenses that aren't SDM which would produce noise as well?

Even if it isn't fully silent, I like the K-01 as well, and would consider it if I could afford to have a second camera as a backup. Perhaps if they added an EVF option like Sean mentioned, or an integrated one similar to the OM-D, I would think long and hard if it would be worth trading in the K7 for it.

Edit: Oops, Frank beat me to it!
02-08-2012, 12:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by intjonmiller Quote
A search on the forum didn't reveal any results on the terms, so perhaps I'm the first one here to say this??

I want a K-01 because it will allow me to use the incredible Pentax lenses, both current and legacy, with a phenomenal and proven sensor. And I can use them silently. Zero shutter sound. And with full-time live view I can shoot more discreetly than I can with a viewfinder at my eye. And it's the best compromise I've ever encountered as a backup camera that doesn't take up much space in the bag.

Is it perfect for every situation? No. Is it the sexiest industrial design ever? Not even close. Will it be my only body? Not a chance. Will it be in my bag? You bet.
I agree. I love this Sony sensor in the K5, and to get it in this relatively inexpensive package is a real bargain.

another perspective:
a. There are only 3 makes of mirrorless IL APS cameras out there, and Pentax is one of them.
b. Of the 3 makes of mirrorless IL APS cameras, the K01 has the most AF lenses available to it (i think ). Sure, one can get adapters to use AF lenses on the Nex camera in manual mode, but not in AF mode except for the Sony A type lenses (which require an expensive adapter)

I think the op is right, this option has a lot going for it. And silent shutters are so nice!!!

02-08-2012, 12:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Yeah, I think the OP probably meant mirror sound.

The GXR Mount A12 does have a 100% silent electronic shutter option though (as a SCENE mode). It's not available on the other A12 modules because they have (already quiet) leaf shutters within the lenses, so the A12 Mount just locks the focal plane shutter up when it switches to electronic, which would be the same situation as in th eK-01 so maybe they could add the same feature.

Turn the camera system sounds (eg, AF beep) off too as well as the LCD and it's as if you're shooting with the camera turned off.
02-08-2012, 12:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
another perspective:
a. There are only 3 makes of mirrorless IL APS cameras out there, and Pentax is one of them.
Four, and Pentax Ricoh has two of them.

While the K-01 takes SLR lens natively, the GXR takes rangefinder lenses natively. I think Pentax Ricoh has it 100% covered.

Edit - there'll be five soon enough with the X-Pro. Then six if Leica do one as well. Which would end up as two legacy M mount rangefinder systems, one legacy K mount SLR and three totally new proprietry ones.

Last edited by anthony mazzeri; 02-08-2012 at 01:09 AM.
02-08-2012, 04:31 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

it will also be one hell of a lot quieter than a traditional SLR, Not that I have any particular complaint about the quietness of pentax DSLR cameras.
02-08-2012, 06:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The K-01 is quieter than the already very quiet K-5 plus there's definitely less vibration. If used with a manual focus lens or and SDM/HSM lens, you can be sure it'll make for a very quiet setup.
02-08-2012, 06:34 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by intjonmiller Quote

To put this in perspective, one of my backups is a Canon G10. It works, particularly in good light, and it's my only halfway decent silent option at this point, but it's nowhere near the quality of a proper SLR. And according to camerasize.com (using the Canon G12, the closest match they have in their system) the K-01 is just 8% wider, 4% taller, and 22% thicker than my G10. (Okay, I looked up the dimensions of the G10 and did the math myself. The K-01 is just 12% wider, 1% taller, and 26% thicker than the G10. In other words it's 43% larger overall.) Not much of a size penalty considering the tremendous increase in quality and even larger increase in functionality with interchangeable lenses.

Agree 100%. My Panasonic M43 cameras are nice and small, but their shutters are loud and draw attention. My K-5 is much quieter, but bringing it up to my eye lets the world know that I'm about to take a picture. The K-01 is a very good compromise. Now only if the screwdrive lenses were quieter too. I guess there's always MF with peaking for the ultimate in stealth.
02-08-2012, 06:36 AM   #13

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't totally silent still image cameras against the law in some countries, including Japan? People do want to know when you take pictures of them.

I can not personally see the allure of the K-01. In fact, just after it's announcing, I ordered my K-5. But some people will probably like the K-01. and that's enough for me.
02-08-2012, 06:39 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
The K-01 is quieter than the already very quiet K-5 plus there's definitely less vibration.
yeah I agree it is a nitpick, the K5 is just as quiet as my Leica M3!

QuoteOriginally posted by topace Quote
orrect me if I'm wrong, but isn't totally silent still image cameras against the law in some countries, including Japan?
no there is no regulation in any country that explicitly states that cameras have to make noises.
02-08-2012, 06:42 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
no there is no regulation in any country that explicitly states that cameras have to make noises.
That honestly surprises me, and makes me wonder why P&S cameras insist on making those ridiculous noises. But oh well, such a law would mean nothing in the age where one can just shoot video silently with the same equipment at a loss of IQ anyway.

Last edited by topace; 02-08-2012 at 07:44 AM.