Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Should the K-01 have been a new lens mount?
No, I'm glad it they chose K-mount 10588.98%
Yes, New mount = smaller camera 1311.02%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2012, 12:01 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Patience Padawan. Ricoh has a plan and you will be happy.
exactly . Ricoh has had the company for what 4 months. i'm guessing once the sale was announced Hoya also cut any R&D into models dramatically and what we are seeing so far is More hoya's leftovers than Ricoh's vision. the biggest indicator of Ricoh's vision is the lens announcements that came and the roadmap being released. lenses were pretty much shelved Hoya products is my guess but Ricoh is showing some commitment to the brand by getting things moving again. the next 2 years will be very busy on the announcement front and by 2014 i think they will be seen as a much more serious player I think (currently they get short shrift everywhere, Hoya did as much to damage to the brand as they did to save it IMO - profitability reached through downsizing and cuts combined with price increases is no way to grow a company but it is good for the short term balance sheet)

02-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
exactly . Ricoh has had the company for what 4 months. i'm guessing once the sale was announced Hoya also cut any R&D into models dramatically and what we are seeing so far is More hoya's leftovers than Ricoh's vision. the biggest indicator of Ricoh's vision is the lens announcements that came and the roadmap being released. lenses were pretty much shelved Hoya products is my guess but Ricoh is showing some commitment to the brand by getting things moving again. the next 2 years will be very busy on the announcement front and by 2014 i think they will be seen as a much more serious player I think (currently they get short shrift everywhere, Hoya did as much to damage to the brand as they did to save it IMO - profitability reached through downsizing and cuts combined with price increases is no way to grow a company but it is good for the short term balance sheet)
We really shouldn't be too hard on Hoya (I know I have). The Thailand floods destroyed an eyeglass plant and earnings and revenue growth were accordingly below plan. It may well be that company-wide investment was delayed. I know that my company wrote a research piece on Hoya last February announcing a pending MILC - could be Newson/K-01 happened because of the Tsunami, then they had Thailand - - so they punted to Ricoh.

In any event, I think the pace of new products will change / has changed dramatically as Ricoh exploits everything stacked up "on the shelf."

The tell for Ricoh's plan (that I keep writing about) will be what happens late 4Q 2012 and through to 1H 2014. If they're really going to compete bigger that's when bigger things will start happening.
02-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Or you can buy a camera with a viewfinder that is weather-sealed. It's called the K-5.
Which I have, and love
02-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

The tell for Ricoh's plan (that I keep writing about) will be what happens late 4Q 2012 and through to 1H 2014. If they're really going to compete bigger that's when bigger things will start happening.
Which is my opinion as well. Unfortunately despite a spate of announcements I see a lot of really negative bashing more suited to when Hoya was running things (and I can't bash them totally they did make the company profitable enough to make attractive to Ricoh, and with the mess it was in when they took over that isn't all bad....i think they went to far but that is because they had no intention of keeping it beyond the short term fix)

I think Photokina and then next years CES and CP+ will be very interesting with some surprises dropped in along the way when there is no big show
and i think the pace will continue for a good 3-4 years because it will have to if the goal is to take bigger share (and in some cases releases may have to redefine peoples way of looking at a camera to bring users in who already are with other brands (just like the people who leave for canikon now)
Ricoh has built some pretty interesting stuff, Pentax has continually built very distinct and e=good product. Neither have been photo marketing whizzes though in a long time. fortunately Ricoh has been a marketing whiz so they know what it takes...they just need to commit to it and i think the purchase of Pentax is a solid indicator of that otherwise they could have just expanded and grown the more quirky Ricoh lineup and put some marketing behind it

02-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm glad they sticked with K-mount. Good they make a few lenses that use the free room inside the camera.

The other option would be joining micro4/3th, but starting again a new mount would be stupid.
02-08-2012, 02:18 PM   #36
Pentaxian

92% prefer using K mount at this point. I'm surprised, because it felt so many opposed every time I mentioned prefering K.
02-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
92% prefer using K mount at this point. I'm surprised, because it felt so many opposed every time I mentioned prefering K.
Me too. I see all sorts of hatred for the K-01 and a they should have changed mounts and built a k adapter so they could take any lens bla bla and it turns out that apparently i was reading the comments from 5 people over and over again

I think it's a good start and am willing to wait for an enthusiast version at photokina (not like i don't own a camera or 13 already )
02-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I'm glad they sticked with K-mount. Good they make a few lenses that use the free room inside the camera.

The other option would be joining micro4/3th, but starting again a new mount would be stupid.
I also like this idea, but Fuji started a new mount just now and Leica is probably going to do something similar soon as well. So it is not impossible. But anyway I'm still waiting for my high quality wide aperture wide angle lens being released for Q mount. And then I shall have my mirrorless.

02-08-2012, 03:02 PM   #39
Site Supporter

We really shouldn't be too hard on Hoya
Agree. I have always felt that Hoya actually saved Pentax after what appears to me to have been years of poor management (am I too hard now???). On top of that came the worst recession in many years in 2008.

No doubt, Hoya had certain "selfish" intersts in the deal and anyway, surgery may be tough, but this time it appears that the patient survived. And we should not forget some remarkable releases that were made in Hoya's time. (Ever heard of the 645D, K-5 and...?).
02-08-2012, 03:11 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Which I have, and love
Me too! If I didn't have it, I'd certainly hesitate before purchasing the K-01. But since I do, the decision is easy. As much as I love the K-5, I like travelling light, and two K-5 bodies on a motorcycle is pushing my limit.
02-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #41
Site Supporter

I just think it is a no-brainer for a company the size of pentax. They have a hard enough time now filling holes in their line up. If they are even considering the possibility of full frame in the next year, a new mount is a complete non-starter.

From Pentax's standpoint, the idea of a shorter registration distance, merely so that people can buy used lenses and knock off adapters is also silly. There are enough cameras out there that meet that need right now, one more me-too product wouldn't stand out. However the lenses that are K-01 specific look like they will stand out and that is a good thing.
02-09-2012, 06:27 AM   #42
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
I also like this idea, but Fuji started a new mount just now and Leica is probably going to do something similar soon as well.
And the Fuji X-Pro 1 and certainly the Leica will be priced in La La Land with lenses perhaps marginally better on digital sensors than what Pentax offers. Those are effectively rangefinder systems and do not have the DSLR/K-mount versatility, especially with zoom lenses where the OVF on the Fuji will be near useless, making it a far more expensive K-01.

The market appeal of using other brand lenses through adapters on any mount is tiny, almost immeasurable. Manual focus is not for most people. The experimenters are not driving sales in the mirrorless market; Joe Average is. He wants a "camera", which is why with m43 we are actually seeing the total form factor increase in size with the retro OM-D system.
02-09-2012, 06:45 AM   #43
Banned

Does the Fuji X-Pro 1 have IS or SR like the K-01 ?

02-09-2012, 07:28 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hey folks, please be sure to participate in the next poll about the K-01

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01-forum/174713-what-price-evf.html

Thanks!
02-09-2012, 08:08 AM   #45
Pentaxian

We will have to wait for that mystery ??XS to be revealed to celebrate.
But if its really a 40XS and a 28XS (for example); then this is a very reasonable solution to have K-mount while offering a smaller form factor.

The disadvantage of this though, is that the NEX looks very small with body only or 16mm pancake, and thats often what is displayed in showcases.
The layman associates small as being 'more high tech' (ie. better camera)
W/o knowing anything more about lens performance and that they'd have to use a junky and big kit zoom, they would already have been sold on the NEX.
But then, Pentax pulls off a 'small is capable' too by matching the K-01 with a super thin 40XS
So.. its anyone's guess what the layman will be attracted to...