Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Should the K-01 have been a new lens mount?
No, I'm glad it they chose K-mount 10588.98%
Yes, New mount = smaller camera 1311.02%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Is a new mount equal to smaller? Why.
Am I glad they kept K mount? Should/need I be?
Why not a totally new design.
Why not be radical.
Why no total change.
Like with q.
All those existing lenses already have bodies.
I want newer and lighter ones. Faster ones. Sealed ones.
And it goes for lenses and bodies.
All those remnants of the present past. What good is it.
Start again in a new brave world.

02-09-2012, 09:20 AM   #47
Veteran Member

If one wants to buy a new camera with smaller lenses and a shorter flange distance, with no AF capable adapter for K mount lenses - they do exist already! Just pick your poison: NEX, µ4/3, NX.
02-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
These you listed do not have SR, top image quality and focus peaking in combination. None of them. Only the K-01 has all that.
02-09-2012, 11:57 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
These you listed do not have SR, top image quality and focus peaking in combination. None of them. Only the K-01 has all that.
Well, my point was that I find little sense in starting one more incompatible mount when there are several ones already. Perhaps not with all the properties you listed, but fine cameras nevertheless. And with viewfinders to boot.

02-10-2012, 07:35 AM   #50
Veteran Member

They couldn't have afforded to make new lenses. they're already in the dubious position of having the most mounts than any other brand (Q, K, GXR and 645) with the least amount of resources.
02-10-2012, 08:55 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
They couldn't have afforded to make new lenses. they're already in the dubious position of having the most mounts than any other brand (Q, K, GXR and 645) with the least amount of resources.
Pentax pre hoya couldn't afford it for certain they were in dire straights. Hoya Pentax wouldn't afford it as they were just cutting and streamlining to sell the division
Ricoh Pentax is a whole different ball game. Aside from just becoming another m too product in a sea of m4/3 and nex and NX cameras the K-01 is a distinct idea (good or bad) and is also a Hoya product that is finally being released. No way would Hoya spend the money on a new mount small flange mirrorless in addition to the Q. Ricoh already has the GXR option (and may at some point have a K module - I think a module that supports AF that uses a mount tube based on the mount being attached is a cooler idea then they could reverse engineer alpha,Nikon ai and EF mounts and provide a working option for those lenses as well - i ignore the 4/3 m4/3 lenses here because i assume it would be an apsc sensor minimum - a FF would be even cooler - it could then be small enough to have mount adapters for all lenses not just MF ones
02-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's definitely better that Pentax launched APSC mirrorless with K mount. Later on I think they will offer a new mount (or share with someone else) but I don't think they have the resources to design a whole new lens lineup from scratch. By using K mount they are able to tweak several existing APSC lenses to the XS version and customers still can choose from Pentax's excellent lens lineup. I also think that there are a lot of projects going on at Pentax right now and they don't have the manpower/investment to deal with a new APSC mount.