Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Should the K-01 have been a new lens mount?
No, I'm glad it they chose K-mount 10588.98%
Yes, New mount = smaller camera 1311.02%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2012, 10:35 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
There is too much emphasis on camera size. More attention needs to be paid to System Size, especially with kit zooms since they are the most popular lenses sold.

When viewed as a System - Sony NEX + kit zoom system kind of looks silly and not likely to be significantly larger than a K-01 + kit zoom system. So ultimately, APS-C based mirrorless Systems will always be pretty big, bigger than smaller sensor alternatives, unless manufacturers can design satisfactory collapsing zooms like the new Panasonic 14-42x

That said, the Sony bodies look deliciously thin, something that consumers are attracted too and may make purchase decisions on before being bait-and-switched to the kit zoom. And the one criticism one can make of the K-01 design is that it could have been designed to minimize/reduce the size difference instead of accentuating them with a blocky design. I like it, but the blocky shape is akin to a "big-boned" person putting on a shirt with horizontal stripes.

No matter, it will slide happily into my bag with a DA Limited.
I agree, and look forward to a bit more lateral thinking / technological innovation in terms of making the k mount mirrorless system more compact.

02-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
K-0* could be smaller when it matters - whenever an XS lens is mounted - than its competitors' APSc MILCs with their lenses mounted.
Which means you have to buy new lenses to achieve the size advantage, thus negating the lens compatibility argument. And you've now permanently constrained the lower bound of body size, plus made sure that you can't adapt other mounts, which is a selling point of every other MILC system.
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
There is too much emphasis on camera size. More attention needs to be paid to System Size, especially with kit zooms since they are the most popular lenses sold.

When viewed as a System - Sony NEX + kit zoom system kind of looks silly and not likely to be significantly larger than a K-01 + kit zoom system. So ultimately, APS-C based mirrorless Systems will always be pretty big, bigger than smaller sensor alternatives, unless manufacturers can design satisfactory collapsing zooms like the new Panasonic 14-42x

That said, the Sony bodies look deliciously thin, something that consumers are attracted too and may make purchase decisions on before being bait-and-switched to the kit zoom. And the one criticism one can make of the K-01 design is that it could have been designed to minimize/reduce the size difference instead of accentuating them with a blocky design. I like it, but the blocky shape is akin to a "big-boned" person putting on a shirt with horizontal stripes.
The NEX systems look chunky, but the body thinness makes that misleading. if you actually measure the combined depth of a NEX7 body + kit zoom it's still thinner than some SLR bodies; it's only a couple of cm deeper than the K-01 with the 40mm XS mounted. With comparable kit zooms the Nex would be slightly more than 3cm less deep and smaller in every other dimension as well.

Collapsible zooms would be a good fit for the K-01 sort of camera, if it's truly aimed at P&S upgraders.
02-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jezza323 Quote
I think an electronically compatible mount with a shorter register distance would be ideal. A simple mount adapter (with AF screw drive transfer) would then allow the use of current K mounts on the "new" mount whilst retaining all AF, AE, SR focal length info etc.
I don't think that a new mount is in the interest of Pentax or in the interest of the customer. As it is now, Pentax does not have to develop anything new and the customer straight away has a choice of plenty of lenses instead of having to wait for new lenses being released one-by-one. It takes away a massive financial burden from Pentax with regards to development. Also with the current solution they don't have to share the production capacity between more different lines of lenses.

If they would have gone the new mount route, the would have been required to develop at least a few lenses for the new mount resulting in development costs and sharing of production capacity. If they don't, they are basically forced to provide an adapter in the box resulting in extra costs for the customer. A good quality 'passive' adapter costs around US$120 (if the price of a Novoflex MD to NX adapter is anything to go by); assuming mass production by Pentax might halve that but still adds costs but adding contacts and a screw drive mechanism will take away that advantage.

So I think that they took the correct decision by sticking to the K-mount for an APSc based camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by jezza323 Quote
Since they are going to release a bunch of new DA-XS lenses anyway, they should have just done them with a shorter register IMO
Somehow I doubt that. There is nothing on the lens roadmap that indicates it. Maybe after 2013?
02-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Somehow I doubt that. There is nothing on the lens roadmap that indicates it. Maybe after 2013?
You make a good point, 2 lenses is hardly a bunch When I think of a mirrorless camera I want, I think of a NEX with a small (pentax small) prime on it. Unfortunately NEX system only has 1 prime that fits that bill so far. And same goes for other systems (micro 4/3 has unusually large lenses for the sensor size IMO)

02-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #20
Veteran Member

That was what they tried first - the Q - and its been a bit of a flop (no offense) based on its sales figures.
02-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #21
Banned

If they came out with a MFT mount I would be ok with that since I have some MFT lenses but I am satisfied with the K-01.
02-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #22
Veteran Member

In my opinion, it depends on Pentax's intention. If it is to appease current Pentax users (a real small community based on the overall camera market), then it is fine. If Pentax wanted to extend its reach beyond its current users and attract new customers, I think it is a bad idea, unless they introduce more CURRENT and exciting lenses, quickly. Most users want autofocus and to have the option of not buying lenses second-hand.

02-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #23
Pentaxian

A BIG sensor in a SMALL body?!? That would just mean some more clumsy lenses, generally and system-wise speaking.

You can't have cake and eat it too.

I intend/hope to spend may more years with my K200D and my K-5, And I am glad that the clever lens designers at Pentax will not have to divert too much from a lens line, inclluding mount, that has proven its viability for more than 30 years.

PS.: I still fancy the yellow K-01 a lot, but my next purchase will be a lens --- with K-mount!

Last edited by Stone G.; 02-08-2012 at 11:46 AM.
02-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #24
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
That was what they tried first - the Q - and its been a bit of a flop (no offense) based on its sales figures.
If Pentax came out with a 22.5-810mm (FF eqiv) zoom like on the Nikon P-500 Superzoom camera that has the same size sensor and sells for $319.99 w/4GB SDHC card & case at Costco for the same price for lens alone it would be a hot seller. The Q also needs to be much lower in price than the K-01.
02-08-2012, 11:42 AM   #25
Pentaxian

The beautiful thing is that Pentax gave us mirrorless systems with...and without...K mount. We can simply buy whichever we prefer.
02-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
The beautiful thing is that Pentax gave us mirrorless systems with...and without...K mount. We can simply buy whichever we prefer.
We can buy a camera with a tiny sensor and not weathersealed, or a camera with no view finder and is also not weather-sealed.

No thanks.
02-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
We can buy a camera with a tiny sensor and not weathersealed, or a camera with no view finder and is also not weather-sealed.

No thanks.
Patience Padawan. Ricoh has a plan and you will be happy.
02-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
If Pentax came out with a 22.5-810mm (FF eqiv) zoom like on the Nikon P-500 Superzoom camera that has the same size sensor and sells for $319.99 w/4GB SDHC card & case at Costco for the same price for lens alone it would be a hot seller. The Q also needs to be much lower in price than the K-01.
it is dropping in price (499 at prodigital2000 and 549-569 at a local B&M indicates the cost has dropped to me) and they apparently have new zoom coming
the superzoom though is a different market again to the Q but some superzoom users may well be tempted over to the Q if Pentax can get it in chain stores for them to see (these buyers really don't visit camera stores or even buy online as much. they like to see the camera and make impulse decisions based on my past retail experience - generally these sales are very quick in comparison to an SLR sale
02-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #29
D0n
Banned

I have tiny cameras with tiny sensors that ARE weather sealed.. called Go-Pros... what is the point?
Still got other video cams and other d-lsrs.
they ALL get used a lot.
they all got thier place.
02-08-2012, 11:59 AM - 2 Likes   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote

No thanks.
Or you can buy a camera with a viewfinder that is weather-sealed. It's called the K-5.