Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Should the K-01 have been a new lens mount?
No, I'm glad it they chose K-mount 10588.98%
Yes, New mount = smaller camera 1311.02%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-08-2012, 09:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Should the K-01 have been a new lens mount?

Criticism of the K-01 has revolved around a number of things - the design, the size, and the lack of an EVF (built-in or optional). This survey is about one of these issues - size. Perhaps the biggest decision that Pentax made with this camera was to use the K-mount. That had a direct impact on the size, the design, and the availability of lenses for this camera.

02-08-2012, 09:07 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I don't think so. For size advantage they already have a new lens mount - the Q.

The intentional converter-free support of legacy glass combined with improvements in video help it stand out from the crowd.
02-08-2012, 09:07 AM   #3

They may not need a new mount, it looks like they're going to have some K-01 only lenses, with the rear element extending into the mirror box:
http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20120208_510376.html

Not a Japanese speaker, but Google translate does call it a 'K-01'
02-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Criticism of the K-01 has revolved around a number of things - the design, the size, and the lack of an EVF (built-in or optional). This survey is about one of these issues - size. Perhaps the biggest decision that Pentax made with this camera was to use the K-mount. That had a direct impact on the size, the design, and the availability of lenses for this camera.

With new line of lenses - XS type - NO.

02-08-2012, 09:16 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
With new line of lenses - XS type - NO.
K-0* could be smaller when it matters - whenever an XS lens is mounted - than its competitors' APSc MILCs with their lenses mounted.
02-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I really like the K-01. I'd buy it if I were more interested in video or if I didn't have the K-5 already.
Some may say they miss the EVF but>
1/ Today 80% of EVIL cameras sold do not have one. EVF-less mirrorless are simply more popular.
2/ K-5 has the OVF, K-5 successor will have the OVF. Who wants a viewfinder, will choode the better optivcal one, EVF is not worth considering in K-mount world.
02-08-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I think I am the first to vote Yes!

I think an electronically compatible mount with a shorter register distance would be ideal. A simple mount adapter (with AF screw drive transfer) would then allow the use of current K mounts on the "new" mount whilst retaining all AF, AE, SR focal length info etc.

Since they are going to release a bunch of new DA-XS lenses anyway, they should have just done them with a shorter register IMO

02-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
K-0* could be smaller when it matters - whenever an XS lens is mounted - than its competitors' APSc MILCs with their lenses mounted.
I agree with this, and I suspect the protruding rear components of future XS lenses will allow the K-01 to be far more balanced when mounted than larger lenses might be on other systems
02-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Only thing I don't like about the K-01 is that it doesn't have a viewfinder.

Reasons to keep k-mount:
-I can get it in the future. Or it's derivative.
-People will buy k-mount lenses. Giving Sigma and Tamron more reasons to produce k-mount.
-K-01 will drive smaller k-mount primes in the XS format (so far the XS format looks compatible with our DSLRs).
-Alternative mount format will split K-01 users from non-K-01 users.
02-08-2012, 09:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Given all the anti K-01 comments i'm surprised at the poll being overwhelmingly in favour of the K mount so far. (i voted for the K-mount too - they have the Q for tiny camera systems)

Jezza that simple adapter would cost $400 and would probably be poor AF (like the Sony and Olympus ones are - and hardly anyone buys them) It would relegate the Pentax to a Me Too product rather than differentiating itself and offering something no-one else has
02-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
There is too much emphasis on camera size. More attention needs to be paid to System Size, especially with kit zooms since they are the most popular lenses sold.

When viewed as a System - Sony NEX + kit zoom system kind of looks silly and not likely to be significantly larger than a K-01 + kit zoom system. So ultimately, APS-C based mirrorless Systems will always be pretty big, bigger than smaller sensor alternatives, unless manufacturers can design satisfactory collapsing zooms like the new Panasonic 14-42x

That said, the Sony bodies look deliciously thin, something that consumers are attracted too and may make purchase decisions on before being bait-and-switched to the kit zoom. And the one criticism one can make of the K-01 design is that it could have been designed to minimize/reduce the size difference instead of accentuating them with a blocky design. I like it, but the blocky shape is akin to a "big-boned" person putting on a shirt with horizontal stripes.

No matter, it will slide happily into my bag with a DA Limited.
02-08-2012, 09:50 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I voted for the K mount.

I have plenty of lenses to last me a while and I wouldn't like to be in a situation where I'd have to gather a whole new lineup of lenses.

Bad for LBA!

Whether I will or not ever get a K-01 remains to be seen.

JP
02-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I'm glad they kept the K-mount and I have no problem with the introduction of a K-mount XS series of lenses to keep things small. But, personally, if I eventually do buy a K-01, I wouldnt bother with the XS lenses... opting instead to use my Limited primes and DA-L 35 f/2.4 on it.
02-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jezza323 Quote
I think I am the first to vote Yes!

I think an electronically compatible mount with a shorter register distance would be ideal. A simple mount adapter (with AF screw drive transfer) would then allow the use of current K mounts on the "new" mount whilst retaining all AF, AE, SR focal length info etc.

Since they are going to release a bunch of new DA-XS lenses anyway, they should have just done them with a shorter register IMO
Mount adapters are a nightmare for compatibility, power supply, warranty, durability, WR, etc. They cannot handle all functions outlines above and are usually horrendously expensive ($400).

A shorter register distance just kills the DA 40XS. Register distance is the k-mount. You cannot have it both ways. The K-01 is and forever more going to have the current k-mount register distance.
02-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bikecoboss Quote
They may not need a new mount, it looks like they're going to have some K-01 only lenses, with the rear element extending into the mirror box:
http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20120208_510376.html
I actually find that a pretty clever solution. Keep the mount and compatibility with old lenses, but make the whole system smaller by this technique with the new lenses.