Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2012, 02:49 PM   #1

K-5 or K-01

I shoot a fair amount of video, usually with external audio. But also do photography as a semi-pro. I currently have a K-7. So would the K-01 or the K-5 be the way to go for an upgrade?

02-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As a semi-pro photog, would you be interested in a camera that has no VF? That would be basically the only question to answer until we see how well the k-5 sensor does in the K-01.

As far as video goes, my understanding is that the k-5 is pretty subpar at it, but it can be done as long as you have the proper equipment alongside. A case-in-point would be a recent MV posted on this forum that was shot only with the k-5.
02-08-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
Banned

The K-01 is $749 at B&H and the K-5 is $1,199.95 so even if they were equal in video mode the K-01 would be a much better deal but it looks like the K-01 also has better video specs (1080p30,25,24 720p60 H.264 vs 1080p25 720p30 M-JPEG ) so the K-01 is a no brainer for video with K-mount lenses.
02-08-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

K-01 is by far the best Pentax camera for video.

02-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wait for the K-5's successor- it will have the same video capabilities and processor as the K-01.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by adam Quote
wait for the k-5's successor- it will have the same video capabilities and processor as the k-01.
k-5n ?
02-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

No idea what they'll call it, K-3 would work too!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #8
Pentaxian

How much do you want to spend and what are you wanting to upgrade? If it's your video, the K-01 would probably work. If you're wanting to upgrade your video AND your stills, waiting for the K5 successor might be your best bet.
02-08-2012, 05:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

As a K7 user I skipped the K5 as not being necessary when I only really shoot stills with a dslr. The K7 video is ok when you have nothing else, but I have a dedicated HD camcorder (with EVF).
I've warmed up to the K-01 after initially finding the design very odd. Today I'm not so sure it's ugly at all really, just different. I'm more worried about the rubber doors and grip than no VF. If it's a urethane type rubber, it will break down and become gluey in time (as all rubberised finish products do, especially here in the tropics) - so this would definitely deter me from owning one (besides the fact I don't really like the feel of rubber, I don't understand it's purpose certainly it won't prevent the ham fisted from dropping the camera!)
The successor to the K5 would probably be the better choice, but I'm afraid it will be at a price I can't justify spending. Also, as it's likely to be towards the end of the year it's a much longer wait than March.

The K-01 certainly is an interesting release, it's one which I'll keep an eye on. Hopefully there will be some sample videos for us to look at soon.
So, my take is to wait and see. But I can understand that the K-01 is tempting
02-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eadnams Quote
I shoot a fair amount of video, usually with external audio. But also do photography as a semi-pro. I currently have a K-7. So would the K-01 or the K-5 be the way to go for an upgrade?
What kind of video do you shoot? Can you be more specific about your needs?
02-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Rule One: Get The Shot.

Of all of Ratlady's Little rules of Photography, that is *pre-eminent.*

Sine. Qua. Non.

If you don't get the shot, there's no sense being picky about specs or anything.

What will help you do that.

(The answer isn't the same for everyone, despite what you might hear on DPReview etc. )

Rule Two is of course, something like, 'Get What You Can, Use What You Got.' (In my own little internal language, that's more like the notion, 'Know and dance with what you brought,' or the single word, 'Interface.' ) Cameras are tools. Like any tool, you don't work best with what someone else tells you you should.... You work best with what you feel.

Informed opinion:

K-5 hands down if you want to do pro still photography.

If that won't serve for your video, (and it might) maybe an 01 will. (and you wouldn't have to ask if you knew what you needed.)

If in doubt, there is a K-5 successor coming, one presumes. And that 01 isn't the last word, either, it's aiming for the middle of the market.

(Observation: if you like your K-7 for stills and might like an 01 for video, you could have both for the going price of a K-5. (Or maybe a K-5 instead of both. That might be worth factoring in. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 02-08-2012 at 06:54 PM.
02-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #12
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by eadnams Quote
K-01 is different camera. No need to compare with K-5.
02-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #13

Original Poster
I think the "Both" answer is my favourite (Or wait for the K5's replacement).

The "The K-01 doesn't have a viewfinder" argument makes little sense to me. While I like a real Viewfinder, I don't feel like its remotely required to take good photos, or to be a professional.
02-12-2012, 12:01 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry I missed the party. When is K5's replacement coming again? This year? Early 2013 perhaps?
02-12-2012, 09:47 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Wait for the K-5's successor- it will have the same video capabilities and processor as the K-01.
I thought the K-5 successor was also supposed to get the A77's 24MP sensor?
And it's really weird that they didn't release it this month at CP+. The A77 has been out for a while and neither Nikon nor Pentax have done the usual APS-C bodies with it yet