Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-01 supports UHS-1

In going over the Japan Pentax websites specs for the K-01 (via Google Translate) I saw this statement:
"Speed ​​Class UHS-1 also supports SDXC card standard and the latest"
?????????????????????????????????

I don't recall seeing that noted anywhere else yet. As I recall the processor in the K-5 can't take advantage of the write to speed that the UHS-1 class cards are capable of, or did I misremember that? Not sure this means there is any difference but it might.

02-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
As I recall the processor in the K-5 can't take advantage of the write to speed that the UHS-1 class cards are capable of, or did I misremember that? Not sure this means there is any difference but it might.
The Processing Engine (a fancier term/name for the internal software/algorithm that controls the actual sensor and other internal functions) has been redone for the K01, so this is possible.

Last edited by joe.penn; 02-08-2012 at 05:15 PM.
02-08-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
SDXC is on the offical spec sheet PDF.
02-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #4
Banned

Good, I guess I will use my Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-1 card in it when I get it.

02-08-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
SDXC is on the offical spec sheet PDF.
I know but the Pentax Japan website has this information up on the specs. It's another instance of...it could be.....until we have user input after testing.
02-09-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
Banned

Photos: Gallery
I'm curious how fast it will be.
02-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The K-01 UHS-1 compliance is noted on the spec sheet on the Pentax Imaging USA website under media storage.

UHS-1 support is important. Both SDHC and SDXC cards can be UHS-1 compliant which has a potential performance up to 104MB/sec. The SD Card Association has this roadmap for UHS. There is already UHS-II in the pipeline that will have a bus speed capacity up to 312MB/s.

This is all essential for better video quality. SDXC is using exFat file format which allows for cards larger than 32GB and file sizes bigger than 4GB which is needed to increase the length of continuous video clips. Here is the capacity page at the SD Card Association. The K-5 is not UHS compliant but it can use both SDHC and SDXC cards.

One question if you use an SDXC card in a K-5 is the card formatted as exFAT? If so is there a performance difference using an exFAT formatted SDXC card over a FAT32 formatted SDHC card in the K-5?

I think the faster bus speeds of UHS should help with better power consumption too.

02-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #8
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Let's hope that teh whole system is up to thoes speeds. Since it only takes one bottleneck to slow everything down. It is a pitty that it doesn't future a USB 3.0 port so we could just connect the camera to our pc for transferring files.
02-13-2012, 05:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I haven't looked at the FAT on a K - 5 to know how its setup. I hope that Pentax has tweaked the K-01 to get it ready for the SD standards updates already known to be coming but the USB 2 connector is not encouraging.
02-13-2012, 08:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
The Processing Engine (a fancier term/name for the internal software/algorithm that controls the actual sensor and other internal functions) has been redone for the K01, so this is possible.
Its a bit more then redone, they use a complete new processor for it.

About the card specs SDXC does not mean UHS automaticly.

SDXC is about the size of the card and is a seperate rating to UHS which is about speed.

USB3 is supported in the upcoming chip so we will need to do without it for now.