Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-08-2012, 10:16 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

XS + K-0X - Did any of us expect that?

I for one am pretty surprised (and excited) about the potential for this new and different style of camera system.

XS lenses with elements recessed into the camera body - utilizing all that extra space by removing the mirror, and granting a consistent looking kit - regardless of the pancake out front?! Blows my mind how awesome that sounds! (caveat: not sure if it actually is that awesome, or if my excitement secondary to its novelty skews my opinion). I appreciate the fact that you could use any other k-mount on the body - but that doesn't make pentax any money (well, the little they will make off of the body?). XS lenses = money maker. How many of those tiny little XS lenses could I fit into a smallish camera bag?

It was said on another page, and I am not sure if anyone predicted it. Sony mirrorless = thin body, massive lenses. X-01 +XS = wide body, tiny lenses. To me, the choice is obvious.

Last edited by spade111; 02-08-2012 at 10:35 PM. Reason: input from other user
02-08-2012, 10:23 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's an X-01? You mean the K-01?

And yes, I absolutely agree. Big body + small lenses > small body + big lenses. It means there will be something to hold on to when the lens isn't long!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Sorry, I meant X-01 as a system introduction with the K-01 being the first iteration. I guess that should have read K-0X... Oops!
02-08-2012, 10:30 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I don't really get why they went with the K-0x designation, because the numbering might get confusing eventually. Hopefully they're consistent going froward, though.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-08-2012, 10:40 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Best Picture Ever.

Note: May not actually be a very fair comparison

Last edited by spade111; 02-08-2012 at 10:40 PM. Reason: note
02-09-2012, 05:48 AM   #6
Forum Member

my big sensor pocketable option so far has been an olympus epl1 with panasonic 20mm f/1.7, any comparison against that? it should be pretty close
02-09-2012, 06:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I don't really get why they went with the K-0x designation, because the numbering might get confusing eventually. Hopefully they're consistent going froward, though.
+1. I think the K1 designation (with or without the 0) should have been reserved for a DSLR. Call this one something else, and the psychology might change for many.

02-09-2012, 06:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by spade111 Quote
Best Picture Ever.

Note: May not actually be a very fair comparison
Yes, put the DA18-55 on the K01 to be fair. I suspect that there would be less difference in size and a qualitative difference to the look.

However, the NEX system only has a pancake 16mm to my knowledge, so that compact "long normal" is definitely a Pentax advantage.
02-09-2012, 06:13 AM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
K-01,K-02,K-03,K-04,K-05,K-06,K-07 and so on to K-99.
02-09-2012, 06:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Falconeye discussed the possibility for recessed lenses the day the K-01 was first discussed.
02-09-2012, 06:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Falconeye discussed the possibility for recessed lenses the day the K-01 was first discussed.
Too far down that road and, consistent with Adam's first post of the specs, the lenses won't work on older bodies. We might end up with the same situation as with using DA lenses on film bodies--some work, some don't, Pentax makes no representations of compatibility.
02-09-2012, 07:25 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Audiobomber: I guess that name suits him! Kudos to his insight! (far sight?)
02-09-2012, 07:31 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Too far down that road and, consistent with Adam's first post of the specs, the lenses won't work on older bodies. We might end up with the same situation as with using DA lenses on film bodies--some work, some don't, Pentax makes no representations of compatibility.
True. From what I've heard so far, there will be some dedicated MILC lenses (e.g. the new mystery K-01 lens), which will not mount on a DSLR because the recessed portion interferes with the mirror. The point of this is to avoid the use of retrofocus design for wide angles and to reduce the distance that the lens protrudes from the body. There's no need for a full line of lenses like this, because the K-01 can mount K-lenses. But recessed design will facilitate pancake wide angle lenses and reduced length zooms. This is the best of both worlds IMO, because it leverages the advantages of both K-mount and MILC.
02-09-2012, 07:52 AM   #14
Veteran Member

True. From what I've heard so far, there will be some dedicated MILC lenses (e.g. the new mystery K-01 lens), which will not mount on a DSLR because the recessed portion interferes with the mirror. The point of this is to avoid the use of retrofocus design for wide angles and to reduce the distance that the lens protrudes from the body. There's no need for a full line of lenses like this, because the K-01 can mount K-lenses. But recessed design will facilitate pancake wide angle lenses and reduced length zooms. This is the best of both worlds IMO, because it leverages the advantages of both K-mount and MILC.
Exactly. I imagine there will be 3-4 lenses in this category. a 15 , 21 and 28 (or thereabouts) and probably a near pancake zoom for the rest their is the wide range of other k mount lenses
02-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

+1
40XS; ??XS; DA35/2.4 and DA50/1.8
will form the new 'cheap' /small prime setup for K-01

at the pricier end are the DA ltds.
UWA- DA15;
Macro - DA35macro
Portrait - DA70

Very nice focal lengths that are utilized 80-90% of the time.
Pentax MILC is more ready than any other APS-C MILC competitor.