Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Lots of people also said, still say, the GXR was an unattractive camera too. But I think looking like it hasn't been designed is actually a good design look in itself. Sort of like military equipment. I think it looks a lot better than the NEX either with small rangefinder or large SLR lenses. Here's mine with a big fat lens mounted via an adapter just like it would be on a NEX, but big difference don't you think?

The K-01 will surely look and handle better as well when it comes to larger lenses like this.

QuoteOriginally posted by thebigcat Quote
So I'm watching the engadget video and noticed something I hadnt considered before. Since this camera is mirrorless there is nothing protecting the sensor when you change lenses. I believe all sensors have a protective coating anyway and the mirror in a DSLR is not really meant to protect the sensor, but to some extent it does. I will be curious to see if this set up attracts more dust also. Thoughts?
The GXR has a focal plane shutter which you can set with a menu option to start in the closed position or opened. I keep mine in the closed position for exactly the reason to keep dust off the sensor when changing lenses. I assume the K-01 will be similar. You set it to open for cleaning purposes - or displaying at camera show I presume!

02-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
Lots of people also said, still say, the GXR was an unattractive camera too. But I think looking like it hasn't been designed is actually a good design look in itself. Sort of like military equipment. I think it looks a lot better than the NEX either with small rangefinder or large SLR lenses. Here's mine with a big fat lens mounted via an adapter just like it would be on a NEX, but big difference don't you think?

The K-01 will surely look and handle better as well when it comes to larger lenses like this.
That is quite nice looking in, as you say, a "Bring It On" or "Not Messing Around" sort of way. No pretty anodized polished aluminum, no derivative prism hump - just optics and grip. Industrial Strength.
02-09-2012, 09:56 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's the NEX with their latest big lens. People can rubbsh the K-01 design all they like but this does not look pleasing to my eyes at all:

EXTERMINATE! WHERE IS THE DOCTOR?! YOU WILL COMPLY! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!
02-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought of the Daleks when confronted with that lens... :P

02-09-2012, 11:39 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by simbon4o Quote
I don't think that K-01 is in the same class as NEX, just put an 18-55 on it too and you will see. As for the design ... put the pancake on K5 and put it side by side with nex, then the nex will look badly . In my opinion the K-01 is the ugliest pentax ever!

True to a point, as they size comparisons ends at that 18-55mm kit.
The rest of the NEX lenses 30/3.5; 50/1.8; 25/1.4 can't match the sizes and range of smallish lenses that DA limiteds+DA35+DA50/1.8+FA limiteds+FA provides.

QuoteOriginally posted by viking79 Quote
My point with the NEX, is that the previous images showed giant SLR lenses on the NEX, but you can put small range finder lenses on it that are much smaller and with the short flange distance the package is very small. That Samyang 35mm f/1.4 on the white NEX for example, you could use a Cosina Voigtlander 35mm f/1.4 instead, and be the same size as my red NEX in the photo.

The CV 35 f/1.4 is only 29mm long, and the NEX C3 only 33mm thick, which puts the NEX with CV at just 4mm longer than the body only of the K-01. The K-01 with limited is much larger in comparison.

I say this only because people show these huge lenses on the NEX to make it look large, and show small lenses on the K-01 in comparison, but in reality, if you get a small range finder lens for the NEX it will remain very small and not give up aperture. As ogl mentioned, a Ricoh GXR, or other M mountable camera would work too, but that is much less flexible. The NEX can adapt to almost any system, but I think using a NEX with SLR lenses is somewhat pointless as it makes for a big lens with nothing to support it.

Eric
And these are AF? Av? and rather cheap? (except for the Samyang).

I'd agree that many of the sample NEX photos are shown with the intent of making it look much bigger, but K-01 with smallish Pentax primes and even short zooms look better overall with a right form factor and more balanced. These are evident with the photos of K-01 with the DA ltds and FA ltds.
02-10-2012, 01:20 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Warming up to the K-01 ... slowly, very slowly

Bonjour,

I had a Nex5 towards the top of my "wish list" (and the list's budget constraints), but I'm beginning to warm up towards the K-01 ... It's good to see them both side by side ... for comparison, etc. Merci !

To me, the Nex looks ridiculous with the 18-55 lens, and I found its body to be almost too small for my biggish hands and certainly disproportional and awkward with respects this lens (and others, too). Maybe the K-01 will be better for (my) handling and as good for IQ, etc. I'm awaiting the future reviews on PF and by its users, plus the professional press, etc.

Just want to get a K-01 in my hands ... but, I'm still convince that the "designer" aspect associated with the K-01 is/was an error ... "FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION", not vice versa.

Allez, merci encore - J Frog

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 02-11-2012 at 04:24 AM.
02-10-2012, 02:55 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CRPhoto Quote
There is something weird looking about the Sony...not proportional. I don't like it. But the K-01 silver with the FA Limited....just pure beauty!!!
Agreed ... Black/silver and silver limited looks pretty darn good together. J

02-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #23
ogl
Banned

PAY ATTENTION - HOW DEEP MOUNT HOLE....
I think the idea of K-01 is new line of super small lenses with K-mount. Not to make the smallest body, but smallest lenses...
02-10-2012, 06:45 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote

The GXR has a focal plane shutter which you can set with a menu option to start in the closed position or opened. I keep mine in the closed position for exactly the reason to keep dust off the sensor when changing lenses. I assume the K-01 will be similar. You set it to open for cleaning purposes - or displaying at camera show I presume!
I had a GX100 before some cretin in Rome pilfered it. It was a beautiful-handling camera. Ricoh knows how to make cameras functionally beautiful for sure.
02-11-2012, 01:43 AM   #25
Veteran Member

This package looks good in white.

02-11-2012, 01:56 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for that, I've been mulling over yellow vs white and can't decide. I've been leaning towards the white and that's the first image I've seen of one without the kit 40mm. Just like the black one with the silver Limited, a non kit pancake lens just changes the whole look of the camera and it looks quite serious, doesn't it?

I'm not getting the sense of a K-r Stormtrooper white plastic feel about it with that white lens in that image. More like a pro Canon DSLR, maybe because I know the camera is solid construction. Hopefully soon pics will also start apearing of it with black or silver lenses as well.
02-11-2012, 02:56 AM   #27

Some of you just post worse Nex+lens combinations, then compare K-01 with some small Pentax limited silver that looks good (the lens).

K-01 better be a really good camera, as the "design" made quite an impression (some like it, more don't). If the performance will not be very good, i'm afraid will become sort of a joke for photo industry.

Don't like the looks (personal opinion) and i have mixed feelings about either i want it to be great or to fail. If will be great, it's good for Pentax, but does it possibly mean that will see less or no DSLR in the near future (2-3 years)? I still want an OVF on the camera
02-14-2012, 03:32 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some Youtube vids of the K-01, first TechRadar shows the Silver one:

And then a bunch of Japanese ones from the CP+ show, these first two show the Black one:

A quick one of the AF speed:

And they're using one of those new transparent LCD screens as the front glass of the camera showcase, this is so cool: