Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-09-2012, 01:25 PM   #1

Does my old glass justify purchasing the K-01?

I was really excited when the rumors were floating around about the K-01, but now that we have the official scoop, I'm falling out of love with it. I don't own a DSLR yet (still using my MX), and have recently given up on film. Im a Pentaxian, and always have been. I would love to stick with their product line. Ive decided that I don't need a DSLR and would be happy in the high end mirrorless market.

I do love my lenses though, but after seeing how much they are going for on eBay these days, maybe its time for me to start thinking about new lenses, even if it means using another company. I still, sort of, want the K-01. Do you feel these lenses would be a step backwards for me on a new body? Should I just sell them all, cut my losses and start from scratch?

here are my lenses:

2) SMC Pentax-M 1.4 50mm
SMC Pentax-M 2.8 28mm
Takumar Asahi 2.5 135mm
Vivitar Series 1 - 2.8-4.0 70-120mm

02-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would hang onto the first two lenses and sell the other two (the 135mm is excellent, but unfortunately it lacks multi-coating).

I think users like you are exactly those who Pentax is trying to target with the the K-01. I would go for it!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

No. Send your lenses to me and I will dispose of them properly. I promise.

Seriously, +1 Adam
02-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I would say definitely go for it. Someone reported that prodigital in Canada is already pricing the K01 for $499 - wow.

When i went from the K10 to the K20, it felt like all my lenses were upgraded as well. Save exp. when i went from the K20 to K5 - whee, free upgrade to lenses.

The K5 sensor, which is identical or similar to that in the K01 produces these great image files that are a lot more fun to process with than the K10 or K20. You can pull detail out of a black area if you must. I will probably get the K01 as a backup camera to my K5 - looks like fun.

02-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I would say definitely go for it. Someone reported that prodigital in Canada is already pricing the K01 for $499 - wow.
I see the Q for $499 but not the K-01. And a K-5 body for $979. I've pre-ordered a K-01 instead of a K-5, but I'm getting cold feet and for $230 a VF would be nice.

That Vivitar 70-210 if its the Series 1 is an awfully nice manual zoom lens.
02-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I see the Q for $499 but not the K-01. And a K-5 body for $979. I've pre-ordered a K-01 instead of a K-5, but I'm getting cold feet and for $230 a VF would be nice.

That Vivitar 70-210 if its the Series 1 is an awfully nice manual zoom lens.
Sorry, I must have read the post wrong or something. The lowest i could find the K01 for is $749 at BHPhoto. Didn't do much searching. At $749, I'm not sure which way i would go. but then i'm not in a rush of any kind.

Phil
02-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Sorry, I must have read the post wrong or something. The lowest i could find the K01 for is $749 at BHPhoto. Didn't do much searching. At $749, I'm not sure which way i would go. but then i'm not in a rush of any kind.

Phil
Well the way things are going on Amazon you might see the K-01 for $499 by June. I keep saying Ricoh has a plan, but sheesh. Where are they? Fuji and Olympus are everywhere.

I'm a special case. I have another eye surgery coming up in 2 weeks and it will mean I can use VF 100% or 0% - no more maybe in good light with a 2x adapter and split-image. All or none. I'm going to try the "LCD K-5" with focus peaking, enjoy video and use my glass; try LX and FB1/FC1 - and if that doesn't work then there'll be a nice sale of K series lenses and bodies on the Forum in March.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-09-2012 at 02:35 PM.
02-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Personally I feel that the K-01 is the best digital camera Pentax released for manual focus with K-mount. If I weren't hard pressed with the money, I would have chosen this very camera for my manual lenses. Maybe you don't realise that manual focusing on a DSLR, especially with f/1.4 lenses and such, is almost impossible with the tiny viewfinder and stock focusing screen.
02-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For 499 I am pretty sure we'd all get a k-01.

QuoteOriginally posted by AntonV Quote
2) SMC Pentax-M 1.4 50mm
SMC Pentax-M 2.8 28mm
Takumar Asahi 2.5 135mm
I don't know that I'd stay with Pentax just for these lenses. They are fine, but they can be sold easily and aren't lenses worth keeping a system for. If you wanted to you could also put these lenses on most other mirror-less offerings(NX, NEX(excellent manual focusing abilities), m4/3, Fuji). If you had more lenses then I'd say yes, stay with Pentax, but these lenses are all going to be a much different field of view than you're used to. The 28 will become your normal lens. Now you just might want to stay with Pentax because you end up loving the K-01. It has an amazing sensor, video capabilities and the worlds thinnest pancake lens.
02-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
Personally I feel that the K-01 is the best digital camera Pentax released for manual focus with K-mount. If I weren't hard pressed with the money, I would have chosen this very camera for my manual lenses. Maybe you don't realise that manual focusing on a DSLR, especially with f/1.4 lenses and such, is almost impossible with the tiny viewfinder and stock focusing screen.
Absolutely I do, through hard experience. That's why I still have film bodies and why I pre-ordered the K-01. I think this (line) of pentax cameras will be a God-send for me. And I like the design.
02-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #11
D0n
Banned

You will find your M lenses ideal for shooting video, and stills in natural light also your flash will not work with the m lenses.... it will fire, but only full power.
02-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Well the way things are going on Amazon you might see the K-01 for $499 by June. I keep saying Ricoh has a plan, but sheesh. Where are they? Fuji and Olympus are everywhere.

I'm a special case. I have another eye surgery coming up in 2 weeks and it will mean I can use VF 100% or 0% - no more maybe in good light with a 2x adapter and split-image. All or none. I'm going to try the "LCD K-5" with focus peaking, enjoy video and use my glass; try LX and FB1/FC1 - and if that doesn't work then there'll be a nice sale of K series lenses and bodies on the Forum in March.
Good luck with the eye surgery.
02-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Good luck with the eye surgery.
Thank you! I am fortunate to live in a city where the University hospital is the leading research facility in NA for my particular disease.

Having lenses replaced due to cataracts, which are a side effect of the recent glaucoma events and implants. I have so many after-market parts in my eyes now that my children call me borg-eyes (or say I have borg-vision). [EDIT: corrected by my son]

To paraphrase myself: Be of good cheer. Your surgeon has a plan and you will be happy.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-09-2012 at 04:57 PM.
02-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote
You will find your M lenses ideal for shooting video, and stills in natural light also your flash will not work with the m lenses.... it will fire, but only full power.

Is there a flash strength setting on the other Pentax bodies??
02-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by AntonV Quote
2) SMC Pentax-M 1.4 50mm
SMC Pentax-M 2.8 28mm
Takumar Asahi 2.5 135mm
No offense, but that's not really that much glass, and you could find similar-performing lenses for any system at any camera store. Decide based on the features of the camera. Most mirrorless cameras will take basically any SLR glass you want, but the K-01 is a rare exception due to the use of the longer-register K-mount. Of course, the tradeoff is that it works better if you stay within the K-mount.