Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-09-2012, 04:51 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I would say definitely go for it. Someone reported that prodigital in Canada is already pricing the K01 for $499 - wow.

that's the Q not the K-01 lol

02-10-2012, 01:44 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I would hang onto the first two lenses and sell the other two
I really love my Vivitar Series 1 70-210 and would definitely keep it. Not so sure about using it on the K-01 though. Weighing over 800 grams, it will be a bit tiresome to use without a viewfinder, since you have to keep stretching your arms out.
03-13-2012, 05:41 PM   #18
Banned

It would be interesting to compare the lens' in the photograph to current models. For now just a general comparison...

These lens were made to work with tighter tollerances and the larger size of the film format. So the fixed lens' are most likely of better quality than (eerrr) most on the market today. Although also noting that since these lens' were on the market; with all of the advances in lens design... That the existing lens are indeed lighter.

My answer; if you would call it that... Keep the lens' and buy the K-01 body with the pancake lens; then try your existing lens' on it.

Edited and added...

But also if anyone knows of a two touch zoom they don't need (seperate rings for focus and zoom); please let me know

Last edited by Medium FormatPro; 03-13-2012 at 05:44 PM. Reason: addition to content
03-13-2012, 07:02 PM   #19
rjm
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AntonV Quote
Ive decided that I don't need a DSLR and would be happy in the high end mirrorless market.
What? I mean how on earth do you come to a decision like that without having extensively used both.

Besides its not "mirrorless" vs. dSLR. There are plenty of mirrorless cameras with EVF, which the K-01 doesnt have, while the K-01 is not especially smaller than a dSLR.

It's 2012, you are sitting on an MX and four fairly unremarkable vintage lenses. Clearly you are conservative and cost-concious. You contemplate your next step...

Running out now and buying a K-01 at full MSRP would seem the absolute worst option.

There are so many others:

1. Keep going. You have a nice, full-frame camera and an optimal lens selection. Excellent image quality, retro chic.

2. Buy a K200 or K10D. All the fun and convenience of digital, your lenses all still work, costs you $200 or less. Lenses are less ideal on the new crop, but you can "upgrade" in time.

3. Sell all those lenses and buy a Nikon V1. EVF, 28mm prime lens, and with the tele-zoom you have the same focal lengths as you are used to with the MX. Nikon 1 is a bit of a bargain right now and is small and convenient.

4. Sell your lenses and get a K-m/x/r. Same size as the K-01, cheaper. Get the double zoom kit, and the DA35/2.4. The camera actually has a viewfinder, and those three lenses should have you covered over the same range of focal lengths you are used to. Lose some image quality vis the old Pentax Ms, but full convenience of metering and autofocus.

03-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-01 will be a good choice. Even better if you use it with a LCD Loupe (ebay ones cost probably around $55)
I've been using a LCD loupe with a K5 in LV and the hit rate for MF is in around 95% for static objects.
The slow shutter response with K5 LV does not lend itself to shooting moving stuff.
With the K-01, Focus Peaking and/or Magnified view for manual focus, its much better than the K5 for MF lenses.
Imagine a viewfinder that is 100% coverage and 3" in size. That's what the K-01 offers over the K5 for MF.
03-14-2012, 01:27 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
K-01 will be a good choice. Even better if you use it with a LCD Loupe (ebay ones cost probably around $55)
I've been using a LCD loupe with a K5 in LV and the hit rate for MF is in around 95% for static objects.
The slow shutter response with K5 LV does not lend itself to shooting moving stuff.
With the K-01, Focus Peaking and/or Magnified view for manual focus, its much better than the K5 for MF lenses.
Imagine a viewfinder that is 100% coverage and 3" in size. That's what the K-01 offers over the K5 for MF.
Then auto-magnify the image for fine focusing touch up.
03-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #22
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
that's the Q not the K-01 lol
US $549.99 for the Q with 8.5mm :

NEW Pentax Q 12.4MP Black Digital SLR Camera w/8.5mm Standard Lens | eBay

03-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #23
Forum Member

+1 and Adam's response.. if you have pet chemical era glass go K-01
03-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #24
Veteran Member

The NEX 5n has an even better manual focus feature set, and it's smaller and cheaper. You also have the option of using all kinds of manual glass.
03-15-2012, 07:28 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
The NEX 5n has an even better manual focus feature set, and it's smaller and cheaper. You also have the option of using all kinds of manual glass.
If I don't want smaller and I only own Pentax legacy lenses, is the Nex5N cheaper including an adapter that will also allow me to use my A, F, FA and DA lenses with all their features including screw-drive autofocus? I'm not being snarky - I'm actuallly asking for information.
03-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #26
Forum Member

IMHO all things considered, the K-01 is the best body choice if you are into prime manual lens. My K dSLR's are very iffy, thru the VF due to screen choices Pentax made. I have bought a modified Canon screen, which does help but still iffy.

I don't use zooms or any lens over 200mm.

FOCUS PEAKING rules.

--- Ducking the incoming flak ---
03-15-2012, 02:40 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WWWench Quote
IMHO all things considered, the K-01 is the best body choice if you are into prime manual lens. My K dSLR's are very iffy, thru the VF due to screen choices Pentax made. I have bought a modified Canon screen, which does help but still iffy.

FOCUS PEAKING rules.

I think it is high time to start some kind of K-01 Manual Focus Image Post thread or Social Group or Album or some such
  1. How-To-Hold-It demonstration articles and images
  2. How-To settings articles (Green Button mapping of DOF preview metering, M Mode settings, etc.)
  3. Images - Images - Images.
What say you. Although I'm not quite finished learning the camera, shall we few end this discussion the hard way?
03-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If I don't want smaller and I only own Pentax legacy lenses, is the Nex5N cheaper including an adapter that will also allow me to use my A, F, FA and DA lenses with all their features including screw-drive autofocus? I'm not being snarky - I'm actuallly asking for information.
No, you can get an adapter to control aperture for da lenses, but I think we already discussed elsewhere that the k-01 is better for your situation. For someone who wants to use manual glass from many different systems though, I think the Sony is without peer.
03-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #29
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
No, you can get an adapter to control aperture for da lenses, but I think we already discussed elsewhere that the k-01 is better for your situation. For someone who wants to use manual glass from many different systems though, I think the Sony is without peer.
I use my K-mount lenses with my GH2 and have MFT lenses like the Voigtländer Nokton 25mm f/0.95 that are not available in E mount so the GH2 beats the Sony Nex IMHO.
03-16-2012, 01:14 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by WWWench Quote

FOCUS PEAKING rules.

You’re right, Wench. I couldn’t agree more.

Manual lenses are much easier to focus on the K-01 than they are on the dSLRs. I installed a KatzEye focusing screen on my K10D but it can't match the ease with which perfect focus can be achieved on the new camera. I have a 50/1.4 manual lens mounted on my K-01 at the moment. Thanks to being able to magnify the screen image and focus peaking, I’m getting perfect accuracy every time, even wide open. Add the K-01’s top-of-the-range image quality and Pentax deserves to have a winner here.

This is the digital camera that Pentax manual lenses have been waiting for.