Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #31

Original Poster
gonna stop by adorama & b&h tomorrow with my old glass and an sd card. think they'll bust my chops if I want to test my lenses on their floor model?

03-20-2012, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AntonV Quote
gonna stop by adorama & b&h tomorrow with my old glass and an sd card. think they'll bust my chops if I want to test my lenses on their floor model?
I would ask on the B&H forum here or contact them beforehand. Sometimes they have nice people at the counter, sometimes not so nice.

However, testing the Focus Peaking with the DA 40mm XS is pretty fun by itself.
03-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #33
Banned

Photos: Albums
I've been doing business with B&H for many years now and would give the company an overall score of 9.6 out of 10. The only things I would change are rather minor ones; such as... A place for travelers (such as myself) to place their gadget bags on a very short term basis; so they don't seem like a security risk almost looking as though they might try to run out the door with a bag full of goodies.

But not just for this posting, but in general... Even for someone purchasing a two hundred dollar point & shoot; should be given the proper (as catered as practically possible) customer/client service as possible. IF they don't (any store in general) give that courtesy to you, then walk -take the business elsewhere.
03-20-2012, 08:11 PM - 1 Like   #34
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I think it is high time to start some kind of K-01 Manual Focus Image Post thread or Social Group or Album or some such
  1. How-To-Hold-It demonstration articles and images
  2. How-To settings articles (Green Button mapping of DOF preview metering, M Mode settings, etc.)
  3. Images - Images - Images.
What say you. Although I'm not quite finished learning the camera, shall we few end this discussion the hard way?
++ 1 I vote for a 'sticky' on using legacy glass because K-01 is different from the K'# dSLR and the existing Adam post would be a fine start. I even find switching AF lens to MF is more accurate, faster and fun.

K-01 and FA31 using Focus Peaking - Ned's Photo Journal

Last edited by WWWench; 03-21-2012 at 10:39 AM. Reason: add
03-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #35

Original Poster
just got back from Adorama. They had no problems letting me play around with the K-01 and my old lenses that I brought in. The screen on this camera is fantastic. I think it will do just fine without a VF. Even with my 200mm lens, I was able to keep it fairly steady and take focused pictures. I couldn't figure out how to use focus peaking, so I'll be gong back soon. Too bad the floor model didn't have the XS lens on it.....really wanted to see it in the flesh.

I'll definitely be buying this camera.
03-22-2012, 10:34 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
just got back from Adorama. They had no problems letting me play around with the K-01 and my old lenses that I brought in. The screen on this camera is fantastic. I think it will do just fine without a VF. Even with my 200mm lens, I was able to keep it fairly steady and take focused pictures. I couldn't figure out how to use focus peaking, so I'll be gong back soon. Too bad the floor model didn't have the XS lens on it.....really wanted to see it in the flesh.

I've done pretty well so far messing with my 200mm. It is all about TORSO steadiness since you don't use the forehead as a rest. I made the strap shorter and brace the cam against my neck (pull outward) and stand with my left foot pointing at the subject. I need practice but this has potential. Focus Peaking is awesome - bright white outlines = in focus..
03-22-2012, 10:36 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Sexy. And I completely agree - I'm not that big and strong (well maybe), and I found the K-01 to handle perfectly fine in my hands and feel balanced. I am slightly miffed at the DP Review preview of the K-01 where they say it is barely balanced with the 40mm XS and would be terrible with any other lens. It felt really good in my hands.

To get Focus peaking, go into Menu - and it is probably the 4th or 5th tab to my memory. It's labeled Focus Peaking ,IIRC.

03-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #38
Veteran Member

I see the Q for $499 but not the K-01. And a K-5 body for $979. I've pre-ordered a K-01 instead of a K-5, but I'm getting cold feet and for $230 a VF would be nice.

That Vivitar 70-210 if its the Series 1 is an awfully nice manual zoom lens.
For that price difference it's an absolute no-brainer. The K5 is a simply stunning camera and Pentax will have to pull something special out of the hat for many people to upgrade their K5's. I bought a second one to replace my backup (K7) after just a few month's with the first.

EDIT. Oops I see you have already bought the K-01 ! Enjoy your new camera - I hope it proves to be awesome for you.
03-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Now you just have to decide on the colour - 3 choices await you
03-22-2012, 11:23 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
For that price difference it's an absolute no-brainer. The K5 is a simply stunning camera and Pentax will have to pull something special out of the hat for many people to upgrade their K5's. I bought a second one to replace my backup (K7) after just a few month's with the first.

EDIT. Oops I see you have already bought the K-01 ! Enjoy your new camera - I hope it proves to be awesome for you.
It is a perfect camera for me but I am a special case, trying to stretch my enjoyment of the hobby beyond the visual impairment level that would stop many people. Focus Peaking is wonderful.

Now if they put this feature (or better) in a K-5 body (or better) with the current sensor (or better) with a bright, 100% optical viewfinder close to my LX (or better) - well then I'll have a great dSLR and a great backup/walking around camera.
03-22-2012, 04:26 PM   #41
Veteran Member

It is a perfect camera for me but I am a special case, trying to stretch my enjoyment of the hobby beyond the visual impairment level that would stop many people. Focus Peaking is wonderful.

Now if they put this feature (or better) in a K-5 body (or better) with the current sensor (or better) with a bright, 100% optical viewfinder close to my LX (or better) - well then I'll have a great dSLR and a great backup/walking around camera.
I have no doubt that the K5 replacement will be very impressive by including great features from the K01 and the K5 both. I probably won't buy it having the K5 and will wait for another year. But i'll enjoy Pentax making progress with the camera.