Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2012, 11:23 PM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by chrisjoy Quote
I agree with some of the others, you can get a Nex5n with a good stabilized kit zoom for less than just the K01 body. The 5n will focus faster, has brilliant focus peaking for MF, shoots 1080p with full manual control (undetermined if the K01 has that capability) and weighs half as much as the Pentax. For those looking for an entry level APS-c camera that can get top quality results, the Sony will be far more appealing. The touch screen focusing works really well too.

For the price of the Pentax with the kit zoom, you can get another lens for the 5n or the really amazing viewfinder. I would bet more than 99% of potential buyers cannot tell the difference in a couple points on DXOmark and for those that can the difference can be made up in post processing. For this camera to bring in people not on this board it should be priced lower than the Nex, T3i, D5100 and so on.

I've tried this camera out (non production copy and firmware).
AF is certainly on par with NEX (roughly about GF1 speed), so I don't understand how you come to the conclusion that its slow to AF.
Newer firmware may even improve things.
No one has as fast AF on legacy lenses in fact.

Its already stated on the official specs that K-01 has peaking. Its also remarked by may users (esp. in RF forums) that the Ricoh implementation of focusing peaking is better, though less fancy (and colorful).

Nex5n with stabilized zoom? Not many out there, slow and big. IMO, these small cameras are not the right form factor to use big zooms.
A K-mount Tamron 17-50/2.8 (not too big, f2.8, good performance zoom) works on the K-01 with SR at a size not much different from NEX with kit zoom.
f2.8 zoom with OS for NEX? A few more years..... maybe

Small/Smallish Primes with good/exceptional quality? - no contest.

The K-01 offers quite a bit over the NEX, though the NEX does offer some nice features too (eg. touch screen; higher res screen).
The right marketing needs to be there to market it to the masses of course.