Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #16
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Time to ask the Singaporean group who road tested the K-01 for their thoughts on the matter. They were generally impressed with the camera in their report here nonetheless.

02-10-2012, 12:45 PM   #17
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well losing iso51200 wouldn't hurt most users I guess.

Sony Nex C3 also has such a sensor.
02-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #18
Veteran Member

No. $750 isn't "low-cost".
02-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #19
Banned

Very different scores for this 16mp sensor:

DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side

02-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
No. $750 isn't "low-cost".
for the projected performance it is but your right a 399 body is low cost (and much lower performance as well)
02-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
K-5 does video and the image quality seems fine to me.
Yes, but does the K-5 sensor allow extended Liveview periods? I haven't checked if it heats up.
02-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
K-5 does video and the image quality seems fine to me.
K-5 is using the Sony sensor.

02-10-2012, 02:26 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well losing iso51200 wouldn't hurt most users I guess.

Sony Nex C3 also has such a sensor.
Yes, but ISO 80 could be missed for sure.
02-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Has it even been determined that 80 and 51200 won't be present in the K-01? IIRC those settings have to be activated in the K-5 via a custom menu setting.

All we have seen so far is pre-release firmware.
02-10-2012, 02:55 PM   #25
Veteran Member

You know what seems crazy to me? The Fuji X100 has been drooled over ever since it was released.

It is a fixed lens camera that costs more than $1000.

As a fixed-lens camera, it is almost infinitely less versatile than just about any interchangeable lens camera, including all entry level dslrs, M4/3, and even the Q. Hell, it is even less versatile than a high end compact camera.

However, there has been pretty much no criticism of the X100 in this regard. The reviewers have almost exclusively written about what that camera does well, rather than what it does not do well.

I'm almost certain the K-01 will destroy the X100 in most shooting situations. It may not be as pretty, but it should be a much, much, much more functional photographic tool. For less money. With better glass and better accessories.

I wonder how the reviews of the K-01 would have looked if it had been equipped with a viewfinder, or if it had been designed like the OM-D.
02-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
You know what seems crazy to me? The Fuji X100 has been drooled over ever since it was released.

It is a fixed lens camera that costs more than $1000.

As a fixed-lens camera, it is almost infinitely less versatile than just about any interchangeable lens camera, including all entry level dslrs, M4/3, and even the Q. Hell, it is even less versatile than a high end compact camera.

However, there has been pretty much no criticism of the X100 in this regard. The reviewers have almost exclusively written about what that camera does well, rather than what it does not do well.

I'm almost certain the K-01 will destroy the X100 in most shooting situations. It may not be as pretty, but it should be a much, much, much more functional photographic tool. For less money. With better glass and better accessories.

I wonder how the reviews of the K-01 would have looked if it had been equipped with a viewfinder, or if it had been designed like the OM-D.
you forgot one important aspect about the X100. the X100 wasn't designed or made to compete against dslrs but more of a walkaround fixed lens camera that could work as an alternative rather than bringing a dslr or work as a second body alongside a dslr. the X100 pretty much cover the necessary focal length for most standard use (wide to normal). besides, it has the IQ to boot and the excellent hybrid viewfinder that no other camera manufacturer has to offer yet. it's not a perfect camera and not for your casual P&S shooter, but it surely deserves it's high marks.
02-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I think a number of your questions are irrelevant (focusing on CDAF doesn't suffer BF/FF issues from what i understand (try it in live view on the K 5 with a know problem lens)
Stain issues were resolved over a year ago. not to say it can't happen again but it's highly unlikely.
I can't think of a Pentax that didn't have sound construction. and though Aluminum isn't as solid as Mag alloy it's a pretty solid construction idea
given it's 12 bit versus 14 bit and iso limited at either end a little i think the performance will be close but not quite as good (though this depends n other things as well). IQ should still crush the kr though for instance and i don't hear a lot of entry level users bitching about kr performance

I think waiting for the tests is a wise caution though. and then comparing it to other cameras in it's market segment. I fully expect the xpro1 to test better (it bloody well better at more than twice the price) I expect the OMD to test worse though on sensor performance but kill it in many other areas - still a different market though
i think the real measurement is how it preforms using native lenses versus the Nex5n and Nex3 and the samsung NX. these are the real measures of how it's iq is (functionality is somewhat subjective since all these cameras suffer some crippling design to some degree) I think iq wise it will be hard for it not to outperform any m4/3

I think the performance model MILC will not be this one but it will be very good based on specs released regardless. I don't expect it to beat a k5 though (except on video where it is almost a given based on the specs)
I put those in the post as an example or reference to problems not that I expect or anyone should expect problems. I think that way too many people are putting out there "this is the greatest thing ever" and/or "Pentax dropped the ball on this one", I mean without actual reviews from reputable reviewers or publications how can anyone pass judgement on it when it hasn't been released yet.

BTW: This has already somewhat affected the upcoming release. Almost everyone who is interested in video got a hard-on (I did too) when the first bonehead rushed to get a video up on YouTube about "hey, I am the first one with a video review and here it is" - he mentioned "full manual video control", turns out this is not the case and it seems that the video capabilities are average at best and somewhat falls behind the competition quite a bit.
02-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey, Joe. You would gain more cred if you took your own advice and backed off on the speculation until the product is released.
02-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Hey, Joe. You would gain more cred if you took your own advice and backed off on the speculation until the product is released
Actually, I don't need more credit, I am posting from actual Pentax specifications and not hear say - now, the hear say can also back this up too ...
02-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

March can't come soon enough.