Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2012, 10:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-01, low cost entry to GREAT quality

Everyone seems to be beating up the K-01 for not having an EVF or for not having weather sealing or for having a chimney. :-) But look at it this way:

You can now buy the BEST rated APS-C sensor (according to DXO Mark) for $750 instead of $1200 if you bought the K-5. Even if they restrict the sensor to ISO100 instead of ISO80, you're still looking at 13.7 EV of dynamic range. Yes, ergonomics and speed are important. But for sheer value of cost/image quality, the K-01 is a great value.

02-10-2012, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

I believe both the a55 and NEX5n have the same sensor and cost less. just saying.
02-10-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Is that the same sensor? On DXO Mark's website, the measured dynamic range measurements are very different for those two cameras. I actually owned a NEX-5 but I sold it. I got sick of the lousy E-mount lens selection. I ended up buying a real cheap used NEX-3 on ebay because I wanted to use my K-mount glass on a tilt adapter for the NEX.
02-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
Is that the same sensor? On DXO Mark's website, the measured dynamic range measurements are very different for those two cameras. I actually owned a NEX-5 but I sold it. I got sick of the lousy E-mount lens selection. I ended up buying a real cheap used NEX-3 on ebay because I wanted to use my K-mount glass on a tilt adapter for the NEX.
Sony NEX-5N has that sensor, not the older NEX-5. And A55 has a pellicle mirror which takes away half a stop of light.

02-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The NEX-5n is also a good camera, and a great deal for that sensor. It has an optional EVF, but doesn't have in camera shake reduction and can't run K-mount lenses with autofocus like the K-01 can. It's a matter of buying what works best for you.
02-10-2012, 11:23 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-01 supposedly has only 12bit raw (instead of K-5's 14bit), ISO is limited to 100-25600, and they may have needed to make adjustments to prevent overheating. All suffice to say, while the K-01 output will likely comparable, the jury is still out.

Oh, and I guess it has a new Prime M processing engine, but I'd expect that only improves JPG output (but I may be mistaken).

Anyway, your main assertion is still correct...it's a great value option for likely fantastic quality!
02-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
The K-01 supposedly has only 12bit raw (instead of K-5's 14bit), ISO is limited to 100-25600, and they may have needed to make adjustments to prevent overheating. All suffice to say, while the K-01 output will likely comparable, the jury is still out.
I wonder if they had to tweak the sensor like they did with the Samsung sensor in Pentax K20D, which was modified for better video for the K-7, possibly making still image noise a bit worse.

02-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

yep the Sony's have the sensor (it is their sensor after all) but Past history is the Pentax will outperform the sony as sony typically has the worst performance of the pentax/nikon/sony models with the same sensor. on the SLT it's almost guaranteed due to the pellicle mirror
02-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Oh, and I guess it has a new Prime M processing engine, but I'd expect that only improves JPG output (but I may be mistaken).

Anyway, your main assertion is still correct...it's a great value option for likely fantastic quality!
since no prime M info is out, i'll speculate it's better video support and support that helps the CDAF system
02-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmm, I forgot about the rumored 12 bit RAW. I guess it won't make a big difference to their target demographic as much. But still a shame because I believe it's the 14 bit RAW that gives the great shadow detail of the K-5.
02-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #11
Veteran Member

K-01, low cost entry to GREAT quality
You have tested one already?
It is quality?
The construction is sound?
The housing is secured pretty tight and within normal tolerances?
We don't have another stain issue?
AF is working great (or at least as it is suppose too)?
No freeze-ups?
Buttons are not falling off?
The majority of them do not need fine tuning for accurate AF?
The IQ is as good or better than the K5 (same sensor but different processing routines so IQ will differ)?

I am sure that Pentax appreciates the excitement, but before anyone jumps to conclusions I think everyone needs to wait for at least someone (of a legitimate reputation) to get one and do a somewhat thorough review - everyone posting "how great it is" is doing nothing but driving the expectations of this thing through the roof - it will absolutely suck for Pentax if there is a single problem/issue with this thing as it will be amplified 50-fold because of the false preconceived superiority some people are pushing.
02-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmm, I forgot about the rumored 12 bit RAW. I guess it won't make a big difference to their target demographic as much. But still a shame because I believe it's the 14 bit RAW that gives the great shadow detail of the K-5.
Yeah, it's really a mixed bag, as you could also argue that the K-01 will have less motion blur due to the lack of mirror slap. Time (and test reports) will tell.
02-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Yes, it is true that we camera forum geeks have already pretty clear ideas about which new camera is better than another one and by how much. And all this with no proper tests, no or few sample pictures and no or little personal experience with them.
02-10-2012, 12:22 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
It is quality?
The construction is sound?
The housing is secured pretty tight and within normal tolerances?
We don't have another stain issue?
AF is working great (or at least as it is suppose too)?
No freeze-ups?
Buttons are not falling off?
The majority of them do not need fine tuning for accurate AF?
The IQ is as good or better than the K5 (same sensor but different processing routines so IQ will differ)?

I am sure that Pentax appreciates the excitement, but before anyone jumps to conclusions I think everyone needs to wait for at least someone (of a legitimate reputation) to get one and do a somewhat thorough review - everyone posting "how great it is" is doing nothing but driving the expectations of this thing through the roof - it will absolutely suck for Pentax if there is a single problem/issue with this thing as it will be amplified 50-fold because of the false preconceived superiority some people are pushing.
I think a number of your questions are irrelevant (focusing on CDAF doesn't suffer BF/FF issues from what i understand (try it in live view on the K 5 with a know problem lens)
Stain issues were resolved over a year ago. not to say it can't happen again but it's highly unlikely.
I can't think of a Pentax that didn't have sound construction. and though Aluminum isn't as solid as Mag alloy it's a pretty solid construction idea
given it's 12 bit versus 14 bit and iso limited at either end a little i think the performance will be close but not quite as good (though this depends n other things as well). IQ should still crush the kr though for instance and i don't hear a lot of entry level users bitching about kr performance

I think waiting for the tests is a wise caution though. and then comparing it to other cameras in it's market segment. I fully expect the xpro1 to test better (it bloody well better at more than twice the price) I expect the OMD to test worse though on sensor performance but kill it in many other areas - still a different market though
i think the real measurement is how it preforms using native lenses versus the Nex5n and Nex3 and the samsung NX. these are the real measures of how it's iq is (functionality is somewhat subjective since all these cameras suffer some crippling design to some degree) I think iq wise it will be hard for it not to outperform any m4/3

I think the performance model MILC will not be this one but it will be very good based on specs released regardless. I don't expect it to beat a k5 though (except on video where it is almost a given based on the specs)
02-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
I wonder if they had to tweak the sensor like they did with the Samsung sensor in Pentax K20D, which was modified for better video for the K-7, possibly making still image noise a bit worse.
K-5 does video and the image quality seems fine to me.