Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #16
Veteran Member

I haven't seen any one mention that the K-01 supports UHS-1.

From the specs sheet:

QuoteQuote:
Storage Media

Internal memory: n/a
Removable memory: SD, SDHC, SDXC (UHS Speed Class 1 supported)
What ever cards you do get for the K-01 make sure they are UHS-1 cards. They should be the fastest.

02-10-2012, 11:14 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
I haven't seen any one mention that the K-01 supports UHS-1.

From the specs sheet:
What ever cards you do get for the K-01 make sure they are UHS-1 cards. They should be the fastest.
Fastest, sure. Those are the 45mB/s cards mentioned above but twice the cost as 30mB/s in the Sandisk line.
if 20mB/s gets you all you can use today, the 45 is for folks trying to future proof their $40 or $80.
02-11-2012, 04:28 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
The AVCHD/H.264 format that the K-01 uses is very space efficient but requires significant processing power to compress before storing on the SD card. Pentax likely had to upgrade their image processing engine to handle AVCHD, which I suspect led to Prime M. IIRC I can get 60 minutes on a 16Gb card.

On the flipside, it's also processor-intensive to edit. New editors like Final Cut Pro X can handle the files natively, but you'll also need a swift computer that can handle decoding the stream and overlaying color correction and effects on the fly.

One more note - the AVCHD spec calls for a rats nest of folder on the SD card. On the GH2, mine are stored in the Private/AVCHD/BDMV/Stream folder. File organization is nothing like handing JPGs or .PEFs or .DNGs, so read the manual before you go moving stuff around.

Hope this helps!
Ooooh, I'm not an apple boy. Any suggestions for windows? I do have a fast computer at home with a six-core processor and a videocard to support a lot (DisplayPort on it). Storage space is also no problem since I have a lot of it. I guess that for shooting video it does come handy to just make a new folder in our camera before starting to separate all of it from the rest.

For K-5 you need 32 GB to take an hour of movie (I think you get like 55 minutes on it or so). So making FullHD longer clips would be great. I did some volleyball registration and with K-5 I had to go back to 720p and one star quality to get the maximum time on it (ending at 22 minutes or so) to registrate just a set (for educational use).

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
Well there is no reason for when you use the camera for video. I do have some of these cards. When shooting RAW in Hi-speed mode you would take advantage of the fast cards and preventing of having files cluttered in the processing system. I do wonder how fast this PRIME M is when handling hi-speed 6 fps shooting. When everything is in order it should be able to keep shooting jpg full resolution at 2 * (or even 3 *) quality without hasitation. For RAW I gues it maxes out at 3 fps or so (smaller files because 12-bit RAW). But only if everything is up to speed and the processor has more capacity for handling files then maximum card speed writing. The new cards are even faster at a max of 90 MB/s writing.
02-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Ooooh, I'm not an apple boy. Any suggestions for windows? I do have a fast computer at home with a six-core processor and a videocard to support a lot (DisplayPort on it). Storage space is also no problem since I have a lot of it. I guess that for shooting video it does come handy to just make a new folder in our camera before starting to separate all of it from the rest.

For K-5 you need 32 GB to take an hour of movie (I think you get like 55 minutes on it or so). So making FullHD longer clips would be great. I did some volleyball registration and with K-5 I had to go back to 720p and one star quality to get the maximum time on it (ending at 22 minutes or so) to registrate just a set (for educational use).
h.264 is much more conmen then motion jpeg so software support isn't a problem at all and you can often use the video card to accelerate this codec.

02-11-2012, 04:07 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
h.264 is much more conmen then motion jpeg so software support isn't a problem at all and you can often use the video card to accelerate this codec.
Is it easy to combine them with movieshots from K-5? Or would you see the difference?
02-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry, can't help you with Window, although it sounds like you'll be ok. IIRC, Adobe Premiere is x-platform and can handle AVCHD natively. When you import your files, either do it directly into Premiere and let it manage the video files. If you'd rather have a hand in managing the video files, when you copy them from the card, copy the entire folder structure, not just the MTS files.

One thing not in the AVCHD spec is any record of exposure settings - Aperture, Shutter speed, White Balance, etc.... Kind of stinks.
02-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Is it easy to combine them with movieshots from K-5? Or would you see the difference?
If the quality of both is good i doubt you will see it.
When it comes down to it the most problematic thing would be to get the colours all the same for example, the codec would be the least of your problems.
02-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #23
Veteran Member

One thing not in the AVCHD spec is any record of exposure settings - Aperture, Shutter speed, White Balance, etc.... Kind of stinks.
Does motionjpeg actually capture those?

02-21-2014, 07:38 PM   #24
Pentaxian

The AVCHD/H.264 format that the K-01 uses is very space efficient but requires significant processing power to compress before storing on the SD card. Pentax likely had to upgrade their image processing engine to handle AVCHD, which I suspect led to Prime M. IIRC I can get 60 minutes on a 16Gb card.

There's a new learning curve for video, but it's fun!

Hope this helps!
Well, John is right about almost everything - and he has a great grasp of what it takes to handle AVCHD properly. However, those last three words are the mark of a man on the slippery edge of sanity.
02-23-2014, 11:12 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
I am not a video wizard but simple arithmetic says full HD at 30fps is 1920*1080*30=60MB/sec (as in byte not bit).
The K-01 records at 21 M-bits / sec - 60MB/sec would be the data rate for raw uncompressed video, before being fed to the h.264 CoDec.

If you've got an older computer or software that can't handle AVCHD natively, you can still edit the files but you'll need to transcode it into a more edit-friendly format like Apple ProRES or Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC).
Avoid AIC - support for it was dropped sometime back.
ProRes is a better choice, Mpeg2 in a pinch, Mjpeg at high data rate if you can, or Canopus HQX in Superfine if you're an Edius user.
Not sure if there is a ProRes or HQX equivalent for the Premiere editors.
HQX and ProRes are functionally equal for quality, with ProRes being adapted by more NLE applications - Premiere and Edius can both open ProRes, but Apple won't implement HQX in FCP.

A Pentium 4 will play and edit HD if it's in Mjpeg or Mpeg2.
To edit h.264 with no playback lagging, you need really need an i5 or better, with separate graphics, not the integrated Intel version, if the computer is more then a year or so old.
The last 12 months, you can use an i3, one of the Intel NUC all in one mini PC's, there's plenty of processing power available in new systems, with the top end ones now being built to handle Raw, Red, and 4K