Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery
xs zoomlens for K-01

I'm not shore if it belongs here or in the lenssection, but I think there is a need for a small zoomlens that is only to be used on K-01. So a lens that uses the space inside the camera, where dslr's have their mirror. Which would place this thread in the mirrorless K-01 section.

I was looking around to what to compare this camera with and came upon the Canon powershot G1x that futures a large sensor, but has a lens that is part of the body. That camera is also a step-up for people who come from P&S or want a back-up or handy small camera to carry along their dslr's.

Compare the sizes:
Compare camera dimensions side by side
The Canon does have some futures that we don't find on K-01 like articulated screen. But mainly it is a small package with the lens folded down when not in use.

For K-01 there is for a zoom only the current 18-55mm kitlens wich is big. Also it is not as what is usual for upgraders from P&S a 4x or 5x zoomlens, but only 3x zoom.

So I think that there should be a nice small zoomlens be made. That uses the space inside the camera and when possible retracts somewhat when not in use for putting this pack in your bag. I would say that 4x zoom would be nice.

DA 17-75mm/f2.8-f4.5 xs when wide angle is important or DA 20-90mm/f2.8-f4.5 xs when it is more a wide/normal to short tele lens. Or something alike would make a great lens!

Any ideas on this? Should it future powerzoom (can K-01 run that?)? Or some sort of DC motor to be silent for movie-mode?

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 02-10-2012 at 06:23 PM.
02-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
Inactive Account

+1 for powerzoom which would suit video use- also retracts on power down.

Interesting if they can do something like the Panasonic 14-42 Pancake zoom?

I feel it would have to be a 3x zoom to be small enough on APS-C.
02-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #3
Banned

Original Poster
Well I would like some very different things at the same time.

I would like
  • up to 5x zoom
  • good image quality
  • a fast lens
  • as small as possible when in use (therefor xs)
  • as small as possible when stored (so retracted)
  • not to expensive

Not everything is possible, so there is a need for an engineer to design something in the middle that meets a lot of desires. :ugh:
02-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #4
Inactive Account

So XS version of the DA 17-70 f4 ? or maybe an APSC version of the FA 28-80 I use mine for the few occasions I shoot video on my K7.

02-11-2012, 12:02 AM   #5
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think XS zooms could be only short lenses. No above 3x.
02-11-2012, 04:33 AM   #6
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I think XS zooms could be only short lenses. No above 3x.
Well making it 4x zooms would be a trade off into some parts like how small it is or how fast it is. I guess. I rather have a 4x zoom that starts at f3.2 then a 3x zoom to get f2.8 or so.

On the XS-side. So where is an optimum to use the maximum space inside the camera? So would a zoom starting at 16/17/18mm go deeper into the camera then a zoom starting at 20mm or 24mm? Since using most of that space as possible would make that lens shorter (when you look at the front what is sticking out of the camera).
02-11-2012, 08:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm was not planning on buying any XS lenses for my new K-01, BUT, if a great 3-4X Zoom came out that took full advantage of the K-01 body design. One that protruded no more than 1.5" from the body. One that had a 2.8 max aperture. Then I could get excited.

It would allow me a great walk-around point-and-shoot setup that produced fabulous images. Something worth investing in a new lest for.

My current plan is to use my old manual focus glass and the Peak/Peek Focus function to get back to enjoying full manual photography again. My A50 1.4 and my A35-105 are going to look great on this camera.

02-11-2012, 08:40 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by joelovotti Quote
I'm was not planning on buying any XS lenses for my new K-01, BUT, if a great 3-4X Zoom came out that took full advantage of the K-01 body design. One that protruded no more than 1.5" from the body. One that had a 2.8 max aperture. Then I could get excited.

It would allow me a great walk-around point-and-shoot setup that produced fabulous images. Something worth investing in a new lest for.

My current plan is to use my old manual focus glass and the Peak/Peek Focus function to get back to enjoying full manual photography again. My A50 1.4 and my A35-105 are going to look great on this camera.
K35/3.5 on mine. Its the colors.
03-04-2012, 08:35 AM   #9
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joelovotti Quote

'+1 on that.
03-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #10

I could get excited about that. I managed to get back my old 18-55 F3.5-5.6 SMC DA AL that came with the *ist DL that I passed along to my niece to use with my K-01, but it's not like this is a fantastic lens, just a utility lens to have until I can get something better. Otherwise my only lenses for this camera will be the DA 40mm XS that ships with it, a 50mm Rokinen prime that is made for film cameras, and a 50mm Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar with an adapter.
03-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I definitely agree that they should make a XS specific small zoom lens for the K-01. The key is that it has to be small and take advantage of the space inside. I think for some people moving over from a P&S, if they can't get a small zoom lens, that would be a deal breaker. I think the 40xs is a great idea for a lens, but you also have to have a zoom for many people. Priorities:

1) small
2) inexpensive
3) IQ
4) big zoom range
5) large aperature

If someone is overly concerned with 3, 4, or 5, they can get an existing K-mount lens.
03-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Don't know about the XS zoom, but I think if one is logical about the G1x and K-01, the K-01 beats the G1x at everything at a cheaper price.
03-06-2012, 02:47 AM   #13
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Don't know about the XS zoom, but I think if one is logical about the G1x and K-01, the K-01 beats the G1x at everything at a cheaper price.
Absolutely true. I guess the XS Zoom would be for people who don't ever use a fixed focal lengt and only would buy K-01 when that smal zoom is there. Also I would like to have it for holiday trips.