Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oz pentaxians - K-01 now selling at vanbar

Vanbar now has the official black K-01 body only kit selling at $848.99.

http://www.vanbar.com.au/catalogue/product.php?id=77564

Interestingly, the yellow k-01 body only kit is selling at a much inflated price.

http://www.vanbar.com.au/catalogue/product.php?id=77570

02-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I read that if you buy from B&H in the US they don't charge tax unless it's over $1000- so in that case, you'd be able to score it cheaper over here! Interesting price on the yellow body...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Interestingly, the yellow k-01 body only kit is selling at a much inflated price.

Pentax K01 Body Yellow (Aus Warranty)
That's USD $1350.00, just for the body.

The usual 200% Australian 'sole distributor' and retail markup, I see. Even "much inflated" is an understatement.
02-13-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I read that if you buy from B&H in the US they don't charge tax unless it's over $1000- so in that case, you'd be able to score it cheaper over here! Interesting price on the yellow body...
Yes. That is certainly true for ozzies buying stuff overseas.

As for Pentax bodies and lenses, is there such a thing as "International warranty" such that the local Pentax distributor will honour if there is an issue with the camera that need fixing? If we can get "international warranty" covered especially for bodies, then it makes a lot of sense to buy direct from US.

Comments anyone?

02-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Vanbar are a bit strange sometimes with their pricing.

Especially if they are charging more for the body-only yellow K-01 than they are for the two yellow K-01 kits which also include lenses. That just doesn't make sense.

I'd wait a bit to see what the price for the K-01 looks like once it shows up elsewhere. DCW have, for example, been quite aggressive in their Pentax pricing recently.
02-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #6
Inactive Account

If we can get "international warranty" covered especially for bodies, then it makes a lot of sense to buy direct from US.
When it first came on the market, I bought a DA40mm from Adorama and didn't check if warranty was offered. It wasn't needed. I saved over $200.00 on that deal even after paying $60.00 postage. It was in my hands 3 days after the order was placed. If Vanbar or C.R Kennedy drop the price of the K-01 by 40% and guarantee 3 day delivery I'll order one now.
02-13-2012, 09:11 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Yes. That is certainly true for ozzies buying stuff overseas.

As for Pentax bodies and lenses, is there such a thing as "International warranty" such that the local Pentax distributor will honour if there is an issue with the camera that need fixing? If we can get "international warranty" covered especially for bodies, then it makes a lot of sense to buy direct from US.

Comments anyone?
Old rant follows...

Back when the K10d came out, I bought one in Perth (Australia) right away, rather than waiting a few months for the manufacturing bumps to be ironed out. The flash unit died while I was in Japan - it also weirdly prevented the shutter button from firing now and then. Local Japanese stores wouldn't recognize the warranty and when I phoned CRK they told me to bring it in for a service, conveniently ignoring the fact I was overseas. When I did get back to Oz, I spent a month or so arguing with them before they finally replaced the camera - they initially reckoned it wasn't a "major fault" so would be sent off for repair with a 6-8 week wait. Then the CRK guy asked my why I was so p*ssed with them when cameras fail all the time. Having to buy another camera with my holiday money and not getting any support when I called them from Japan sprang to mind. A warranty should be international if it means anything - if I can't get a Pentax fixed or replaced in Japan, then where?

I now disregard warranty entirely - it's not a factor when I buy anything. I also now WAIT and won't buy a newly released product.
If I have to always return to Oz for service, then that's meaningless and it's quicker and cheaper to chuck the camera in the bin and buy a new one. Its also cheaper to order two cameras from Adorama and keep one as a spare in case the first dies than it is to buy a single camera in Perth. Having a whole spare camera is worth more than a so called "warranty" that you will have to spend months arguing over. I might point out, the only reason I got a new camera is because I'm 190cm tall and started to get smoke coming out the ears. Good luck to anyone else wanting to get a replacement from CRK if you're a bit friendly looking.

An alternative is to buy on your credit card, if they provide additional warranty cover - but check the fine print.

Last edited by calsan; 02-13-2012 at 09:18 PM.
02-13-2012, 09:23 PM   #8
Forum Member

Um...

Why is that body all black?
02-13-2012, 09:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Typical, the exchange rate is AU$1.00 = US$1.07 at the moment.. was up to 1.10 a few months ago.. and yet we still pay more. But it's never been any different here. My guitars cost 40% more here too. Some things are double. I'm sure the distributor factors the cost of running a repair service into the price and everyone is paying for a repair they may never need as a result.
02-13-2012, 10:00 PM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Australia? Where's that? Must be on another planet, so everything *must* be more expensive there...
02-13-2012, 10:17 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I did have a repair done on my 50-135 and only got it back last week from CRK. The Zoom ring was becoming sloppy and they replaced an O-Ring. It was gone for 5 weeks. I thought it sounded like a WR thing but was not enlightened by the distributor. Considering I paid AU$1500 for that lens and could have got it for around a grand from B&H with an international warranty I'm probably way behind at this point.

One of my K-5's needed a new focus mode selector (rear) and was gone for two weeks. It feels almost as hard to move as the dodgy one did prior to repair so I have no proof that they really changed the module. They said they did.

Both repairs were covered by warranty but I have been told by a CRK person that they will definitely honor a genuine Pentax International Warranty. I think B&H offers them on the "USA" branded stock - I'll probably buy from them in future.

Last edited by bossa; 02-13-2012 at 10:51 PM.
02-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Bossa. This is interesting.

Any ozzies on this forum actually bought a camera body from BHP or Adorama and successfully requested an "International Warranty", and afterwards gotten CRK to fix something on the camera and getting confirmations that they honour the warranty? I just want to know if someone has already tested this strategy.
02-13-2012, 11:20 PM   #13
Forum Member

how to get international warranty from BH?
02-13-2012, 11:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure that anything labelled "USA" has a genuine Pentax International Warranty. Something labelled otherwise is a grey market import and won't be recognized.
02-13-2012, 11:42 PM   #15
Pentaxian

What would be a dream come true is if Ricoh were to buy out the distributors and set up a genuine Ricoh and Pentax sales and service network in Oz, similar to what Canon and Nikon users currently enjoy.