Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #31
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by JFN Quote
I like Adam's vision of an EVF more:
The K-01 will only work with HDMI EVFs.

02-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #32
Inactive Account

Problem is an HDMI EVF always needs built in power that not only adds size but weight.
02-22-2012, 09:49 PM   #33
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JFN Quote
I like Adam's vision of an EVF more:

Is that really the kind of camera the detractors of the K-01 would like? My God that is a mess, little buttons scattered everywhere, it's everything that I hate in digital camera designs. The K-01 will be the first "real" digital camera I buy and it is mostly because it is the first reasonably priced/specced camera that looks like I would want to use it. Give me a simple layout any day, leave the complexity on the computer!
02-23-2012, 06:42 AM   #34
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
Problem is an HDMI EVF always needs built in power that not only adds size but weight.
Use a LCDVF .

02-23-2012, 03:55 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by isaacc7 Quote
Give me a simple layout any day, leave the complexity on the computer!
You must be new here.
The camera with the most buttons and knobs obviously wins.

Many photographers would consider something like this the peak of modern camera body design:
Name:  d4-2BACK.jpg
Views: 1063
Size:  79.9 KB
02-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #36
JFN
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is that really the kind of camera the detractors of the K-01 would like? My God that is a mess, little buttons scattered everywhere, it's everything that I hate in digital camera designs. The K-01 will be the first "real" digital camera I buy and it is mostly because it is the first reasonably priced/specced camera that looks like I would want to use it. Give me a simple layout any day, leave the complexity on the computer!
Here's the back of the K-01:
http://www.pdnonline.com/pdn/static/content_images/Pentax_K-01_back(1).jpg

BUT, I was only referring to Adam's vision about the EVF, if Ricoh can give us anything like that as an option, I might be in the market for a K-01...
02-23-2012, 04:53 PM - 1 Like   #37
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
You must be new here.

Many photographers would consider something like this the peak of modern camera body design:
Attachment 118900

Yeah, I used to sell those. Never saw an affordable digital camera that I would want to use until the k-01. I'm used to view cameras, TLRs, Pinhole cameras and my m6. Great shooters all of them. Monstrosities like canon and nIkon digitals tuned me off to real digital photography for a long time.

02-23-2012, 05:56 PM   #38

Yeah, I used to sell those. Never saw an affordable digital camera that I would want to use until the k-01. I'm used to view cameras, TLRs, Pinhole cameras and my m6. Great shooters all of them. Monstrosities like canon and nIkon digitals tuned me off to real digital photography for a long time.
Welcome, fellow non-serious picture-taker (typed with tongue placed firmly in cheek). I'm with you on this.
02-23-2012, 08:59 PM   #39
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ibkc Quote
Welcome, fellow non-serious picture-taker (typed with tongue placed firmly in cheek). I'm with you on this.
God, is there anything worse than a "serious" photographer? LOL. I like my cameras to be minimal so they get out of the way. Pinhole cameras take this to an extreme... I know that digital will always have more adjustments to it, but I have never understood why they had to make the camera so freaking busy. The K-01 is breath of fresh air design-wise. I'm looking forward to it
02-23-2012, 10:11 PM   #40

God, is there anything worse than a "serious" photographer? LOL. I like my cameras to be minimal so they get out of the way. Pinhole cameras take this to an extreme... I know that digital will always have more adjustments to it, but I have never understood why they had to make the camera so freaking busy. The K-01 is breath of fresh air design-wise. I'm looking forward to it
Yeah, that Nikon pictured above looks like something out of an 80's sci-fi flick, and it doesn't look like a camera: more like some kind of military scope or something. I can imagine Sigourney Weaver wearing it on her head in one of the "Alien" movies.

And I'm not saying I'm too stupid to learn to use such a camera. I do have some physical limitations that make it bit more difficult, but I understand how they work and how to use them. My point is, I'm more interested in getting the shot than in fiddling with buttons and digging through menus. And if I can get much the same results using a 40-year-old medium-format film SLR system with nice, simple controls - a camera which isn't going to go obsolete in a couple of years, but will continue to produce high-quality images as long as I keep it maintained - why drop thousands on a system that irritates the crap out of me while I'm shooting, and then will usually require me to sit down and slog through post-processing to make it look like I shot it on film to begin with?

I look forward to the K-01 in hopes that it will allow me to shoot high-quality digital with a minimum of fuss, while still giving me the option to control how I want my shots to look. You know - kind of like a film camera! Maybe I am hoping too much, but as I noted, I had a great experience with the one Pentax dSLR I owned, so I have high hopes.

Anyway - I am not anti-digital. I worked in the design industry in the 90's up to about 2003, and I fully embraced digital. I am, I guess, anti-"feature creep" and I am especially against the idea that an object like a camera has to look like the camera pictured about for it to be a "serious" tool for "serious" photographers, especially when the people making the claim haven't even used the camera they are railing against. This is a really special kind of arrogance.. We've even got a guy dismissing the great Rollei TLRs of the mid-20th century, cameras that were used by many of the greatest photographers who have ever lived. Pretty darned special, indeed.
02-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #41
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is no accessory viewfinder port for the K-01 so that pretty much rules out an external viewfinder. Of course there is a hotshoe should you want to add an optical one such as below.
My thoughts too. Accessory finders have been a mainstay with rangefinder cameras for many years and are preferred by many users over the combination displays (multiple framelines) in many cameras. They also look very cool.

Steve
02-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #42
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have a Flipbac on my K7 for waist shots and screen protection- I dont think it will do too much to shade the screen as there is no side on protection and you will need to mount upside down, so it will only aid in shots above your head.
If I got a K-01 I would get something like this:
This is also an excellent option that I have considered for low-angle work with my K10D.

Steve
02-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #43
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

...The issue is the fixed field of view of the O-VF1 and other optical viewfinders...
Yes, that is the big issue. Voigtlander bundles the finders with some of their M-mount lenses as a matched pair. Variable finders have been made in the past and are available on eBay and such.

BTW...I was shocked by the price of the O-VF1. The Olympus VF-1 is under $100 USD and the VF-3 EVF is under $180 USD.

Steve
02-26-2012, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #44
Banned

You must be new here.

Attachment 118900
Is the D4 $749 and does it have IBIS with the 25 million K-mount lenses out there ?

Get your cookies pressing buttons on this one:

Last edited by jogiba; 02-26-2012 at 08:02 AM.
02-26-2012, 09:03 AM   #45
Veteran Member

If you add a decent EVF, will it not cost so much as a K5... seems a bit pointless then for me