Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #1

Add on EVF?

Can anyone speculate on the possibility of an add on EVF for the K-01? I'm old school and need to be able to hold my camera up to my eye and look through a viewfinder to compose. I just can't hold a camera at arms length and take a photograph. A picture yes, but not a photograph.
Mark

02-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's not part of the design so I would say... NO?
02-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

it would have to be a 3rd party one that would plug into the HDMI port and lock on to the hotshot. it wouldn't be pretty.

wait for the inevitable GXR-K mount. hopefully it'll introduce a newer EVF with it too.
02-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
Inactive Account

There is no accessory viewfinder port for the K-01 so that pretty much rules out an external viewfinder. Of course there is a hotshoe should you want to add an optical one such as below.

Also there is an HDMI port which mean the display can be sent out to a seperate video EVF but these tend to be big and expensive mainly as they require battery packs to work, they are targeted primarily at the video market.

Finally there is what is called a loupe which goes over the LCD and effectively makes an enlarged EVF.

02-14-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax told us that there were no plans of making an EVF for the K-01.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-14-2012, 06:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Why not get the Kr or K5?
02-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Why not get the Kr or K5?
Because the design of DSLRs, as they stand, make their use painful and difficult for me. I have damaged eyesight due to multiple sclerosis. There are many reasons why a person would prefer this camera design over that of a conventional DSLR.

Anyway -- as I noted in another thread I am going to go first with a product called the Flipbac, which acts as both a screen shade and an angled mirror for the viewfinder. If this is not enough, I am going to go with a screen loupe, possibly the one made by Hoodman.

02-17-2012, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #8
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by MASOD Quote
Can anyone speculate on the possibility of an add on EVF for the K-01? I'm old school and need to be able to hold my camera up to my eye and look through a viewfinder to compose. I just can't hold a camera at arms length and take a photograph. A picture yes, but not a photograph.
Mark
Show me a photo of someone holding a camera at arms length. I shoot handheld videos with my K-7 and 300mm (450mm eqiv) lens and hold it just inches in front of my face. I have the LCDVF I purchased for my K-7 but have not installed it yet because I don't have problems just using LV.

BTW what is the difference between a picture and a photograph ?
02-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Picture is an image taken by a camera.
Photograph is an image taken by a camera.
02-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #10
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MASOD Quote
Can anyone speculate on the possibility of an add on EVF for the K-01?
I haven't seen many or needed to research them. But there's a company that makes and advertises on this forum's homepage. ... Here's the thing. Its prices are from a bit under the price-point of the whole K-01 camera to well over its price. ....ssooo...
02-17-2012, 09:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ibkc Quote
Because the design of DSLRs, as they stand, make their use painful and difficult for me. I have damaged eyesight due to multiple sclerosis. There are many reasons why a person would prefer this camera design over that of a conventional DSLR.

Anyway -- as I noted in another thread I am going to go first with a product called the Flipbac, which acts as both a screen shade and an angled mirror for the viewfinder. If this is not enough, I am going to go with a screen loupe, possibly the one made by Hoodman.
Are evf better to see than ovf?
I know its true with low light situation but in almost all other situations I prefer an ovf at least.
02-17-2012, 09:17 PM - 1 Like   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ibkc Quote
Anyway -- as I noted in another thread I am going to go first with a product called the Flipbac, which acts as both a screen shade and an angled mirror for the viewfinder. If this is not enough, I am going to go with a screen loupe, possibly the one made by Hoodman
I have a Flipbac on my K7 for waist shots and screen protection- I dont think it will do too much to shade the screen as there is no side on protection and you will need to mount upside down, so it will only aid in shots above your head.
If I got a K-01 I would get something like this:
02-18-2012, 06:31 AM   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RickyFromVegas Quote
Picture is an image taken by a camera.
Photograph is an image taken by a camera.
02-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #14

Original Poster
In my mind, a picture is something that captures a moment in time, whereas a photograph is an image created for it's own sake.
02-18-2012, 04:15 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Why do people think the K-01 has to used at arm's length???
I've used the K-01 recently and like others who have used it, we just have it a few inches from our face. I wear glasses and there's no more squinting into a small viewfinder and I see 100% what the sensor records. Problems seeing the LCD from too much glare from bright sunlight? Wear a cap with a brim. What's the big deal?