Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hegedus Quote
I also use my camera mostly for shooting images of my children, and they are always in action...almost, except when sleeping
But, maybe K-01 could keep with them, it seems that it locks focus pretty quickly, that is what I need. Tracking is a SF for me and my K10D
Ok, one theoretical question: Does contrast AF depends on the quality of the sensor and its dynamic range? I think it should. Also, if you pair it with good lens that lets a lot of good light to detect fine contrast, maybe K-01 could surprise with its AF capabilities.
My understanding is that the majority of Pentax's film lenses (FA and older) are not great for CDAF. And being that the FA 77 is actually a slow focusing lens, the performance shown in the video is pretty remarkable.

02-15-2012, 01:25 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Couldn't watch the video, but that is a problem I had with the NEX 5N that I borrowed (possibly user error to some extent.). If the AF can't keep up with my daughter, then I can't use it. I am considering selling off the majority of my manual kit, because I'm not fast enough without setting the hyperfocal or zone focus/prefocus.
Indeed. I'd guess that the camera AF + time to shoot cycle (i.e. time between shutter button depress and shot taken) need be less than 1/125sec to be useful with any moving object.
02-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The AF is definitely "good enough". Probably not the best choice for sports, but for general use, it should work just as well as any P&S would.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Does the k-01 have AF-C too?

02-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hegedus Quote
I was wondering how fast and accurate can K-01 autofocus, and found two videos on Youtube:
Thanks, useful info.

It is hard to judge. The AF seems to be active continously in the videos, so it is hard to see how long a single focus operation takes. The operation seems to take longer than the time which the green square is visible. I think I can see changes to the focus while no square is visible.
02-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
Hard to say if that's fast enough to capture a walking person with any degree of sharpness. The authors of these video only focused on fixed targets.
At 0:22 in the first video it focusses on the peoples' heads in the distance right at the bottom edge of the screen, while he's aiming at the ceiling. Will that do?

I've not actually experienced a camera before that can focus right on the extreme edge of frame. That's probaby too much for me and I'd likely just use spot focus all the time like I usually do.
02-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Having handled the pre-release version on v0.33 firmware, AF is certainly fast enough for most purposes.
GF1 like AF speed for those who are familiar, which is really adequate having used one myself.
And this is on screw drive lenses, which is saying a lot. No one else gives this sort of AF speed for their legacy lenses.

02-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
At 0:22 in the first video it focusses on the peoples' heads in the distance right at the bottom edge of the screen, while he's aiming at the ceiling. Will that do?

I've not actually experienced a camera before that can focus right on the extreme edge of frame. That's probaby too much for me and I'd likely just use spot focus all the time like I usually do.
I imagine being able to select points or use something less than the 81 AF points mode would fix that.
02-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The AF is definitely "good enough". ...for general use, it should work just as well as any P&S would.
Which is not good enough to be an alternative to an entry DSLR, the reason for which many people buy. is because their P&S can't take a photo fast enough (i.e. focus, lock and capture). I just hope the K-01 is way better than any P&S would !
02-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #25
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
I just hope the K-01 is way better than any P&S would !
Well this is where the new PRIME M processor would jump in. I hope it does!
02-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
It is faster than K5 in LV mode (CDAF), but certainly not as fast as K5 when focused through the viewfinder.

Can't remember how fast/slow K10's AF is, it's been way too long since last time I had it...

Note, the K-01 we tested are a prototype with firmware v.033, not the final product yet.
I put a DA40 on my K10 - this is noticeably faster than mine
02-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #27
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Does the k-01 have AF-C too?
Yup

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Now that is cool. I am interested to see if the AF speed in AF-C is better than my humble K-7 in PDAF mode.
02-17-2012, 01:38 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
That second video with the 77mm limited.. I dunno if the 77mm limited is fast at focusing or not, but gosh that K-01 seems to focus quicker than my k-x......
Using LV almost anything out there will focus faster than K-x
02-17-2012, 05:40 AM   #30

Heck, my iPhone 4 is much faster at focusing than my late, not lamented Nikon D60, which I manual focused a lot of the time when I could bring myself to use the thing, and it can focus anywhere on the screen I tell it to - depending on the app I'm using, of course; the basic "Camera" app" can't do this. Watching these two videos was a joy and have made me even more excited about my decision to put one of these babies on pre-order.