Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2012, 09:52 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's one good reason: You don't have one ! Obviously your inner self is saying I want one... so get it, life is short ;-)

02-29-2012, 05:48 AM   #32
Veteran Member

On the weekend I photographed a praying mantis on my car, holding the camera (a K20D) away from my face, and composing via live view. I was pleased with the end result, but the process would have been much simpler and quicker with a K-01.

In short, a mirrorless body will make some types of shooting easier, such as macros at odd angles like this.
02-29-2012, 08:13 AM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My issue in the past with using LV in the studio is that I find it slower to focus and the shutter delay more unpredictable. Catching the right expression requires timing.
02-29-2012, 09:29 AM   #34
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
My issue in the past with using LV in the studio is that I find it slower to focus and the shutter delay more unpredictable. Catching the right expression requires timing.
That wouldn't be an issue for me. I try to avoid having people in my pictures even incidentally. Only on very rare occasions do photograph them on purpose.

02-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
On the weekend I photographed a praying mantis on my car, holding the camera (a K20D) away from my face, and composing via live view. I was pleased with the end result, but the process would have been much simpler and quicker with a K-01.

In short, a mirrorless body will make some types of shooting easier, such as macros at odd angles like this.
I fail to see the advantage of shooting with K-01 over K20D in live view. If the K-01 had an articulating LCD screen that would be a definite advantage but since it doesn't, you still have to contend with the same angle of view whether you shoot with K-01 or K20D in live view.
02-29-2012, 12:59 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
I fail to see the advantage of shooting with K-01 over K20D in live view. If the K-01 had an articulating LCD screen that would be a definite advantage but since it doesn't, you still have to contend with the same angle of view whether you shoot with K-01 or K20D in live view.
Sure, the angle of view is the same, but the LCD on my K20D is viewable at a surprisingly oblique angles, and I'm sure that the LCD in the K-01 will be as good or better in this regard. My point is that I wouldn't have had to drop the mirror to shoot, and may have been able to take advantage of focus peaking as well.
02-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #37
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
That wouldn't be an issue for me. I try to avoid having people in my pictures even incidentally. Only on very rare occasions do photograph them on purpose.
There was a time when I actually felt that way. I wanted me a nice building or waterfall. Now, I'm more inclined to resonate with Cartier-Bresson than Adams. (Though I'd be thrilled to have a tenth of the talent of either of them)
02-29-2012, 10:07 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
I fail to see the advantage of shooting with K-01 over K20D in live view.
The refresh rate of the LV mode is supposedly improved, although what is not clear is by how much. Hopefully, Adam's upcoming review will clarify what differences exist here.

02-29-2012, 10:37 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Is Adam going to make a review? Sales start on 29th March in the US.

Will your review be available on the 30th?

Just kidding. Anyway detailed review soon will be cool.
03-01-2012, 07:53 AM   #40
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
Is Adam going to make a review? Sales start on 29th March in the US.

Will your review be available on the 30th?

Just kidding. Anyway detailed review soon will be cool.
Probably sooner than the 30th.

Adam's K-01 Shipped.
03-01-2012, 07:32 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Can anybody with experience using other mirrorless cameras without a viewfinder comment on how well the camera works in the following situations?

Using a MF lens, in particular a large lens like a 135mm f2.8. How do you go with holding the body and lens out in front of the face whilst focusing?

Panning shots? Is the LCD update quick enough to get a decent shot? Not talking super fast panning but moderately fast...

If the K-01 is good enough IQ wise I would consider it instead of a K-5 for my upgrade. I mainly shoot landscapes, so the lack of viewfinder is not a big concern in all cases, but I do use the camera for other stuff as well. If I can make do with the K-01 in the above situations I figure I might as well pick it up (pending some IQ and high ISO reviews compared to the K-5)
03-01-2012, 10:56 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Probably sooner than the 30th.

Adam's K-01 Shipped.
Yes I saw this later. After my post. Thanks
03-25-2012, 08:43 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
But are you following action? I agree that a big LCD is helpful when you have time to tweak the focus. Situations like shooting macro, landscapes, or still lifes. But when your subject is active, you need to have your eye up to a viewfinder in order to decently follow focus with manual lenses.
Sorry only now see your comment.
Following isn't that much of a problem but the camera is easier in the hands for doing that when you've it to your eye though.
But that isn't the biggest deal breaker is the shutter lag that's too big in liveview for doing this.
I've heard the shutter lag is less with the K-01 so that would be far more usefull, you might not be able to follow focus but trap focus should be no problem at all hopefully.

Even besides all this i like my camera to have an OVF though, i feel much more connected to the camera this way but that's something else though but the K-01 might be a great backup camera, certainly for the money.

Last edited by Anvh; 03-25-2012 at 08:50 AM.
03-25-2012, 03:47 PM   #44
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jezza323 Quote
Can anybody with experience using other mirrorless cameras without a viewfinder comment on how well the camera works in the following situations?

Using a MF lens, in particular a large lens like a 135mm f2.8. How do you go with holding the body and lens out in front of the face whilst focusing?

Panning shots? Is the LCD update quick enough to get a decent shot? Not talking super fast panning but moderately fast...

If the K-01 is good enough IQ wise I would consider it instead of a K-5 for my upgrade. I mainly shoot landscapes, so the lack of viewfinder is not a big concern in all cases, but I do use the camera for other stuff as well. If I can make do with the K-01 in the above situations I figure I might as well pick it up (pending some IQ and high ISO reviews compared to the K-5)

I've used various lens' on my K-01; from the smallest currently vailable Pentax (newer version pancake) 40mm to a Pentax 60-250mm f4.0. Here are some of the specs on the Pentax zoom...

Pentax Zoom Telephoto 60-250mm f/4 ED DA* SDM Autofocus 21750

As for more on that zoom... I hold that particular lens by either the zoom ring or the tripod collar on the lens. If the timing allows it; I'll set it on a tripod still using the lens tripod collar. Also noting I have used manual focus Zeiss lens on the K-01, but cannot find a way of how to accurately describe in wording how I hold it. I also prefer touse the Pentax zoom in manual focus (focus peak) whenever possible.

As for panning... I've already panned cars and planes using the 40mm (not suggested for planes) and also at tthe max zoom setting on the 250 zoom; getting a near full frame image each time. It seems to work well, but one may occasionally need to switch to spot mode as opposed to average mode, and also enable the locking settings under one of the internal Pentax menus. Either that; or simply switch to manual as the depth of field outdoors would most likely cover it.

BTW not covered in your post; also not panning, but having an object generally moving towards or away from the camera... I've done horseback riding so far; and all of the lens keep up perfectly, even at the max fps and on video.

Now here is where it gets interesting... The K-5 versus the K-01. From what I've read so far it would be a preference based upon weather one can do without the viewfinder, and also IF one would want the focus peak option. BTW currently the K-5 does not offer the focus peak option. Also noting... There are indeed some external (hotshoe) option for mounting a "type of" viewfinder, but not through the lens pentaprism or evf; it's basically the back of the camera screen. Also... some may prefer a three sided shade or even a type of hood for some rare instances.

My personal perspective... I'm a career professional photographer. I bought the camera already knowing of almost all of it's strengths and weaknesses. I've found it to be the most capable non slr camera I've ever owned - outside of a Leica.

I also do more than a fair share of landscaping andl also architecture. And btw there are at least two perspective control lens' available. Here is where there may be an issue with a (traditional - non shiftable) Pentax lens - the newer Pentax 40mm f2.8 pancake. That if someone would use this lens for landscaping and in certain other instances, that... The front filter is incredibly small - just 27mm.

So IF one uses filters a lot this may very well be an issue. One might need at least one step up filter ring; and... Technically I'm not sure of the answer on this one, but there may very well be vignetting issues with too many filters. I'll look into this one further in the near future.

As for more comparison and contrast between the K5 and the K-01; was there any other information that you were looking for??