Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2012, 08:13 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
pentax K-01 convince me

Please somebody provide a compelling argument why I should demote my K-x and draft a K-01.

ps I shoot mainly in studio environment using fast primes and focus on portraiture, headshots. I consistently get quality 20x30 prints.

Thanks

02-19-2012, 08:15 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What are the reasons why you feel you need to upgrade your K-x?
02-19-2012, 08:49 AM   #3
Forum Member

Advantages of K-01 over K-X (according to released specs only):
Much better video options and control.
Slightly more mp.
Slightly smaller.
Better aid for manual focus - focus peaking.
Slightly more options in general.
Possible smaller lenses (XS) in the future.
So if any of this speaks to you and is more important then lack of viewfinder you can go for it. Frankly the only major plus i see is in the video department.
02-19-2012, 08:53 AM   #4

The reason he asks is that this is in fact the main question .- who are potential buyers of K-01? People who want to upgrade their P&S camera? People who want to enter dslr world, but are not sure if this is right decision? What benefits has new K-01 that older K-x, K-r and other brands don't offer?
I really like new concept of mirorrless camera, it sonds great not to have big mirror slapping all the time, and to have all the lenses adjusted in terms of focus. It is a step forward in the technology, and I will always support it. But people don't think this way today, they are only interested to get good value for their money.
Unfortunately, K-01 looks to me like it has been made for pentaxians who love their system, have some lenses in the bag and support the brand very strongly.

02-19-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hegedus Quote
The reason he asks is that this is in fact the main question .- who are potential buyers of K-01? People who want to upgrade their P&S camera? People who want to enter dslr world, but are not sure if this is right decision? What benefits has new K-01 that older K-x, K-r and other brands don't offer?
But he's not using a P&S...he's already in the DSLR world and is getting quality 20X30 prints. There are benefits to the K-01, like better video, but if he's not interested in video, it's not a benefit. It may even be a knock against the K-01. Folks might ask what car to buy and we could say, "The Porsche 911 is an AWESOME car!"...and be entirely correct. That is, until the person says, "Can I use it to carry hay out to my cattle in the pasture?" Suddenly, the correct answer changes, based upon needs.
02-19-2012, 09:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by minolta2pentax Quote
Please somebody provide a compelling argument why I should demote my K-x and draft a K-01.

ps I shoot mainly in studio environment using fast primes and focus on portraiture, headshots. I consistently get quality 20x30 prints.

Thanks
From the description of your sort of usage, there isn't a compelling argument for you to 'upgrade' to the K-01. There isn't any argument for you to upgrade to Kr or K5 either particularly (although each of these would probably be equally good or ever so ever so slightly better).... Carry on producing those big detailed prints and enjoy it!

A lot of people have whined that the K-01 has failed to meet their needs as an upgrade cam. The K-01 was designed for non-technical people upgrading from P&S, and apparently also photographers who enjoy street shooting, and video. Not as an upgrade for existing DSLR users, unless they want better video. To these people: not every camera Pentax brings out has you and your upgrade needs in mind!
02-19-2012, 09:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

You like using Live View so much that your K-x's VF is pretty much pointless. q.e.d.

02-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #8

same boat

Hi. I'm in the same boat. I'm sick of my KX's inability to correctly focus fast lenses in low/artificial light- the AF just isn't precise enough for large apertures, and I'm hoping that the CDAF on the K01 may be the solution. The other option would be to get a K5, and I am waiting to hear whether the K01's CDAF is significantly better than that of the K5 in Live View.

Sparkston
02-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

This decision is really up to you, but for K-x users the K-01 upgrades (TBD if we don't know for sure yet):

The sensor --> Native ISO100, better resolution, better ISO performance, better dynamic range
The build quality? (TBD)
The autofocus speed? (TBD)
Improved low light focus (TBD)
Video quality, audio port
HDMI for attaching it to an external screen in the studio
Contrast Autofocus tends not to have front or back focus problems like phase AF does correct?
Visible focus points
More image modes
Many more focus points
Better screen on the back
Slightly smaller
Compatible with XS lenses (TBD what this will mean)

Basically, the two things the K-x has going for it is that it's still a solid all around camera and it has a viewfinder, although it's not a very good one. The K-01 should be better in almost every other way.

Is that a reason for you to upgrade? Again that's up to you.
02-19-2012, 12:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

But you will need to adopt a different shooting style with the K-01 since you need to work off the screen off course.
Not sure if that's apealing or not?

I would rather wait for the new DSLR to be announced
02-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #11
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Unfortunately, K-01 looks to me like it has been made for pentaxians who love their system, have some lenses in the bag and support the brand very strongly.
Wow, I guess that is not the camera for people here on the Pentax Forum.
02-19-2012, 01:49 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

Thanks
There are a number of reasons why the K-01 may work well in the studio:
  • 81 focus points with on-screen indicator vs 11 on K-x with no on-screen indicator
  • Face detection AF
  • You can maintain eye contact and rapport with your subject since you don't have to bring a camera up to your eye.
  • Focus peaking so you get visual confirmation when the subject's eyes are in focus
  • HDMI port for hooking up an external monitor for subject and clients to review images on
  • CDAF is more accurate than PDAF (IME)
02-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Wow, I guess that is not the camera for people here on the Pentax Forum.

I didn't mean it that way...what I tried to say is that I really wish good sale numbers for K-01, and that I would be very sad if it's buyers will only be existing pentaxians. This camera deserves more, but I am not sure if it will be so widely accepted like, for instance, K-x when it first hit the market.
One other thing that we have to wait for is Pentax marketing. Let us see some advertisements, maybe they will show whom Pentax see as future K-01 users.
02-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #14
Banned

Photos: Gallery
It is Yellow!

The output will win from K-x.

That is al you need, since the upgradepath is a cheapo.
02-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
There are a number of reasons why the K-01 may work well in the studio:
  • 81 focus points with on-screen indicator vs 11 on K-x with no on-screen indicator
  • Face detection AF
  • You can maintain eye contact and rapport with your subject since you don't have to bring a camera up to your eye.
  • Focus peaking so you get visual confirmation when the subject's eyes are in focus
  • HDMI port for hooking up an external monitor for subject and clients to review images on
  • CDAF is more accurate than PDAF (IME)
Studio shooters of all people should lose less without having a viewfinder. Many large and medium format shooters have been shooting by looking at some sort of screen for years. You also really don't need tracking AF in a studio, and there's not a ton of situations where you're going to be out in the bright sun.

I thought of another benefit, the K-01 will allow you to shoot in different aspect ratios, which I believe is a first for K-mount digital cameras. This will give you more flexibility for prints.