Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-19-2012, 08:24 PM   #16

I am definitely interested in this camera. I don't shoot studio and have no intention of being a professional, but I love to capture images. I have a K100D with multiple lenses that I used to use all the time, but since I bought a Sony TX-5, it has largely remained out of use except for family events. Juggling 2 kids and an dSLR makes it hard to take with me all the time!

When I go back and compare the IQ, I really miss what the Pentax gave me, so, I started looking for a smaller and lighter camera with good IQ and video capabilities and had just decided on getting the Panasonic GX1 when the K-01 was announced. I still need to feel it in the hand to see whether I would get it, but from what I have seen, it meets my main criteria of excellent IQ, good video capabilities, and faster AF (at least compared to my K100D!)

02-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by minolta2pentax Quote
Please somebody provide a compelling argument why I should demote my K-x and draft a K-01.

ps I shoot mainly in studio environment using fast primes and focus on portraiture, headshots. I consistently get quality 20x30 prints.

Thanks
What a strange and loaded question. Is somebody pressuring you to sell your K-x and buy a K-01?

Given the type of shooting you describe, I'd suggest there may be a more compelling argument to upgrade !
02-19-2012, 09:21 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Sparks I use only manual focus lenses.. rokinon 85mm 1.4 ($349), and the horusbennu 50mm 1.8 ($66). they work pretty good for me. Reading forums of different brands, a lot of people are not satisfied with AF. Also there is so many complaints about front-focusing and back-focusing. with auto focus I put the focus where I want it

QuoteOriginally posted by sparkston Quote
Hi. I'm in the same boat. I'm sick of my KX's inability to correctly focus fast lenses in low/artificial light- the AF just isn't precise enough for large apertures, and I'm hoping that the CDAF on the K01 may be the solution. The other option would be to get a K5, and I am waiting to hear whether the K01's CDAF is significantly better than that of the K5 in Live View.

Sparkston
02-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks, that is what I am feeling. I think Pentax nailed it with the Kx. I really enjoy shooting next to Canon and Nikon fans, and they see at my shot and start asking me about my glass and camera . There seems to be a flood of new DSLRs with emphasis on better video. Does this mean they really have hit a wall on producing better optics for stills?

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
From the description of your sort of usage, there isn't a compelling argument for you to 'upgrade' to the K-01. There isn't any argument for you to upgrade to Kr or K5 either particularly (although each of these would probably be equally good or ever so ever so slightly better).... Carry on producing those big detailed prints and enjoy it!

A lot of people have whined that the K-01 has failed to meet their needs as an upgrade cam. The K-01 was designed for non-technical people upgrading from P&S, and apparently also photographers who enjoy street shooting, and video. Not as an upgrade for existing DSLR users, unless they want better video. To these people: not every camera Pentax brings out has you and your upgrade needs in mind!

02-19-2012, 09:33 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
These are good points for me to consider. I have gotten so used to listening for the beep and watching for the indicator to focus . I only have totally manual prime lenses though

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
There are a number of reasons why the K-01 may work well in the studio:
  • 81 focus points with on-screen indicator vs 11 on K-x with no on-screen indicator
  • Face detection AF
  • You can maintain eye contact and rapport with your subject since you don't have to bring a camera up to your eye.
  • Focus peaking so you get visual confirmation when the subject's eyes are in focus
  • HDMI port for hooking up an external monitor for subject and clients to review images on
  • CDAF is more accurate than PDAF (IME)
02-19-2012, 09:40 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Original Poster
No .. Just checking. With all of this MP/video war going on making sure i am not missing out on anything. i am interested in a 2nd body so I can keep them on separate presets, but when I do invest in one I do want to upgrade. I know what my Kx can do.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kennod Quote
What a strange and loaded question. Is somebody pressuring you to sell your K-x and buy a K-01?

Given the type of shooting you describe, I'd suggest there may be a more compelling argument to upgrade !
02-20-2012, 07:29 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by minolta2pentax Quote
...I use only manual focus lenses...
Since that's the case, you might want to wait and see what other new cameras Pentax will offer in the next year or so. Using an LCD to focus manual lenses is fine if you have the time to do so, but if you're shooting a moving subject, it's much harder to maintain critical focus than when your eye is pressed up to a viewfinder. What looks fine at elbow or arm's length may not be truly sharp. It's similar to looking at a painting from varying distances. What may appear realistic when seen from across the room could be a series of blobs when viewed up close.

02-20-2012, 09:19 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I actually find it easier to manual focus with the LCD screen then the viewfinder with the K5.
The K-01 adds focus peeking so it should even get easier.
02-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Agreed, Stefan!
02-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
I actually find it easier to manual focus with the LCD screen then the viewfinder with the K5.
The K-01 adds focus peeking so it should even get easier.
But are you following action? I agree that a big LCD is helpful when you have time to tweak the focus. Situations like shooting macro, landscapes, or still lifes. But when your subject is active, you need to have your eye up to a viewfinder in order to decently follow focus with manual lenses.
02-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #26
Veteran Member

You don't need an upgrade to the K-01, the K5 is a better upgrade. You're already using manually focused lenses and tweaking focus through a viewfinder, the K5's is brighter and more precise, an LCD would only pick up distracting reflections when you're trying to tweak your focus.
02-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #27
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
You don't need an upgrade to the K-01, the K5 is a better upgrade. You're already using manually focused lenses and tweaking focus through a viewfinder, the K5's is brighter and more precise, an LCD would only pick up distracting reflections when you're trying to tweak your focus.
If she is shooting people from the same distance in the studio how hard is it to get focus right ? What am I missing here ? Are people running around the studio while getting their picture taken ?
02-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
If she is shooting people from the same distance in the studio how hard is it to get focus right ? What am I missing here ? Are people running around the studio while getting their picture taken ?

QuoteQuote:
I shoot mainly in studio environment
She didn't say exclusively but mainly so she does take her camera outside. Now until she tells what her exact routine is and what her primary focus is, we all can discus this till doomsday and we still won't come to a solution
02-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Like I've said in previous posts, I'll keep an open mind about the K-01 and read the reviews. I suspect image quality will be great and so will video. But, given that I own a K-5, a K200D and a micro four-thirds kit, I'm not sure what the K-01 would bring to the table for me. It may be that I'll have to actually pick one up and play with it before the neurons make the connection and the light goes on inside my head. But, as of right now, I personally would lean toward using the money on more glass.
02-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
Like I've said in previous posts, I'll keep an open mind about the K-01 and read the reviews. I suspect image quality will be great and so will video. But, given that I own a K-5, a K200D and a micro four-thirds kit, I'm not sure what the K-01 would bring to the table for me. It may be that I'll have to actually pick one up and play with it before the neurons make the connection and the light goes on inside my head. But, as of right now, I personally would lean toward using the money on more glass.
If you have a K5 without issues you don't need a K-01 unless you need to collect a newer model it's plain and simple as that. Now if you have a Kx or r and wanted the newest upgrade and you absolutely don't need the viewfinder then sure this would be the less expensive route vs the K5 or it's successor hanging out somewhere in the background.

In my eyes this is an "urban use camera" it doesn't say or suggest it's rugged as a K5 so if you out and you normally get your gear jostled...this may not be the wises choice for you.

This is how i see it and just an opinion i'm not putting it down as i may collect one or two myself

As for durability and reliability; time will have to pass before we pass judgement, it was not only a few months we're all praising the K5 followed by lengthy discussions on issues a,b and c till this very day...lol

Last edited by Clicker; 02-21-2012 at 02:26 PM.