Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2012, 06:00 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
The K-01 beats the heck out of the K-5 in video mode and at $749 instead of $1,199. It's now 2012 and video is bigger than stills on planet earth. If your in love with a zillion buttons and dials on very large DSLRs then get this one :
I had a good laugh, thanks. One improvement though, change that shake reduction logo to Spock's famous sign. It'd go nicely with the 'call Spock" button.

03-05-2012, 06:00 AM   #47
Veteran Member

I wonder if Pentax will release a bunch of mirrorless lenses that take greater advantage of the spare space inside the K-01 (and descendants), perhaps even at the expense of direct backwards compatibility with K-mount SLRs. The release of the K-02 might be accompanied by (say) XS series primes in the familiar 15/21/35/70 ranges. Having these lenses available would go some way towards quieting the criticisms of the K-0x bodies' size. The refrain will be "look at the total package". Heck, if you wanted an advertising slogan for the K-0x series, you could do worse....

BTW, I was careful to say "direct backwards compatibility" in my opening sentence. Instead of having an adapter for K-mount glass on mirrorless, Pentax might go the other way and release adapters for XS series glass on SLRs.
03-05-2012, 08:41 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
So go buy something else. Pentax did the correct thing of coming out with the first mirrorless that takes the full line of DSLR lenses and with IBIS to boot. The Sony Nex-5N looks stupid with anything more than the slow 16mm pancake lens on it.

This is really and excellent comparison regarding Pentax line of thought on the K-01.
"Right sized" rather than "Small for the sake of it".
There is no rule that says MILC's should only be small.
I think that impression comes from m4/3 as they went that route and were the pioneers of such cameras.
As the sensor got bigger, Pentax offers an alternative view to this.
MILC should be sized smaller as well as sized right, while retaining many of the advantages of MILCs (LV; peaking; video; faster shutter reaction than on DSLRs, cheaper)

IMO, once that other new XS lens with recessed rear element is released, we will be very sure what the K-01 (and Pentax MILC) is capable of.

Having handled it a couple of times, I'd like to see the following improvements :
1. EVF or hybrid viewfinder
2. Touch screen (very useful for a myriad of stuff like AF point select and zoom in point select)
3. Higher res LCD or EVF
4. Even faster AF (doable via increasing CDAF sampling rate as in the GX1; EP3; OM-D)
03-06-2012, 02:44 AM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Having handled it a couple of times, I'd like to see the following improvements :
1. EVF or hybrid viewfinder
2. Touch screen (very useful for a myriad of stuff like AF point select and zoom in point select)
3. Higher res LCD or EVF
4. Even faster AF (doable via increasing CDAF sampling rate as in the GX1; EP3; OM-D)
#3 Well I would like that Pentax switches to a 4 inch 16:9 wide screen with QHD resolution (960x540x3 dots) articulated and touch. That would be great.

#4 Is that just software/processing speed or is that also hardware? Could even K-01 be smarter at it whit current hardware?

03-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Big screen

I was reading my newspaper and there was an article about Playstation Vita. That has a big screen and guess what: I think it can even fit on that nice K-02. Just loose some of the buttons. Or make them at least working differently.

De screen is 5 inch wide (I was thinking about 4 inch and that was big) but when you go overboard, why not all the way.

Fill the back of the K-02 almost all the way.
03-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by namtot Quote
there is no reason they would have to make something similar in price and uglyness to that sony adapter. olympus and panasonic make $150 adapters that let you use any m43 lens on any m43 body with full electronic lens control, the adapters look normal too, hardly noticable. pentax could have easily gone that route and opened up this camera to a lot more people who arent already invested in k-mount lenses.
Debated and settled vociferously over the last month. Pentax could not have easily gone that route. They're not a member of the m4/3 Group and have not accumulated engineering to support the effort. Why make another HoHumMeToo throwback camera? K-01 is PENTAX. It is what it is. If you need m4/3 by all means go get something.
03-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Debated and settled vociferously over the last month. Pentax could not have easily gone that route. They're not a member of the m4/3 Group and have not accumulated engineering to support the effort. Why make another HoHumMeToo throwback camera? K-01 is PENTAX. It is what it is. If you need m4/3 by all means go get something.
I think he meant there could have been a slimmer body with a mount adapter that allowed use of other adapter. I agree with you though registration distance for Kmount would make it unweildly to say the least and likely closer to the Sony adapter than the 4/3 to m4/3 is. not to mention 4/3 had a very tiny user base and very few lenses to start (and those lenses were needed at the beginning to have something available besides a couple of kit lenses)
Pentax OTOH has a much larger user base so coming up with a nice clean solution like the K-01 made a lot of sense IMO. love it or hate it the camera does keep compatability with no issues (and no added cost or need to have multiple lenses for the new mount available), unless the first couple of bodies shipped with the adapter it would have likely been a massive failure, and shipping with the adapter would mean a higher price
03-08-2012, 06:33 AM   #53
Inactive Account

Pentax could use the empty space between cmos and optics to move the cmos:
a) the k-02 could offer AF with any lens, like M42 or M/A. (just like the Contax AX)
b) we could use every lens ever produced, even Canon FD, M39, Nikon F....
c) if it also tilts, we could have an internal tilt-adapter. If we attach an additional external tilt-adapter, it's like Scheimplfug told us to tilt..
d) to prevent damage due to ID-10T users, Pentax could place the hot mirror just like Sigma in front of the shutter and make it replaceable and optionally IR-sensitive.

03-08-2012, 05:18 PM   #54
Inactive Account

that is the best idea yet! a sensor that can adjust forwards and backwards would take full advantage of the mirrorless system.
03-09-2012, 01:15 AM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by namtot Quote
that is the best idea yet! a sensor that can adjust forwards and backwards would take full advantage of the mirrorless system.
Yeah, I had the same idea. It would make in-body autofocus possible for any manual glass. But some forum-members, who are more technically knowledgeable then I, (which is easy) have explained that such a camerabody would be the size of a 645D. Because of the size of the required mechanism. The whole piece of the chassis, supporting the SR system, needs to be able to move back and forth.
03-09-2012, 01:57 AM   #56
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
.... such a camerabody would be the size of a 645D..
Yes, if you want full-AF for every ffd from Leica M to Pentacon Six; maybe even larger than the 645d.
But it fits well into a K-01, if we stay within a ffd from 40 to 48mm and use it as assisted-AF (manual prefocusing; e.g. if you are outdoors and most of the objects are approx. 12-20m away you prefocus ~15m and let the camera do the precise focusing.)
Without SR even Leica M would be possible - but I think most useres prefer SR.