Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Next K-02 feature?

It seems like there is a lot of disappointment that the K-01 doesn't have a VF, nor provisions for one. However, I could see R/P giving up on a VF for the entire line of K-01 based cameras as they eventually roll-out replacements.

If R/P is correct about the target market for these things, I think that an articulating LCD would be the thing that would put this line on par with the competition. Anyone have any thoughts?

02-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #2
Banned

The K-5 has a VF but it's black in video mode so the K-01 is perfect for shooting in video mode. The killer feature of the K-02 should be a FF sensor.

Last edited by jogiba; 02-22-2012 at 06:46 AM.
02-21-2012, 06:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax should've put an articulating touch LCD screen on the current K-01 so it'd be a lot easier to use for either video or still photography.
02-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would say add a touch screen or bendy screen to the next model, and then step it up to EVF/full-frame in about 5 years or so when the AF technology in mirrorless cameras improves.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-21-2012, 06:48 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Pentax should've put an articulating touch LCD screen on the current K-01 so it'd be a lot easier to use for either video or still photography.
For $750 US?

Not that I disagree with the idea, but once you get to $849 why not just get a K-5?
02-21-2012, 07:10 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
add... bendy screen to the next model
It seems like it might be a must-have on the successor, but I don't think Pentax has had one before on anything. Ricoh neither, maybe?

I am trying to picture myself being a little less educated and in the market for something like the K-01. I am over the lack of VF and I recognize that it shoots hella video. Without an articulating screen though, I am sht out of luck if I try and peek over someone's head to get a shot. Makes me rethink about the K-01 and its versatility, so I move on to something else.

PS: Everytime I see my father-in-law he is bending the screen to his Canon G11 every which way. Can't wait to see him break it off someday.
02-21-2012, 07:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
For $750 US?

Not that I disagree with the idea, but once you get to $849 why not just get a K-5?
Touch screen won't cost much more than a regular screen. Pentax can put a touch screen in their p&s camera 6 years ago, I'm sure they can put it in the new camera easily.

And btw, the market price for K-01 camera won't be $750usd, probably will be quite a bit lower, at least it's the case here in Singapore.

02-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #8
nah

If the Sony Nex 5N can have touch screen and articulating screen for $599 body only, so can the K-01.
02-21-2012, 09:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I think that the K-02 needs a camera to actually be a successor to LOL! One camera at a time, folks, the first one's not even released yet!
02-22-2012, 06:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Lots of good comments here.

This is Pentax's entry into K-mount mirrorless. I couldn't imagine that they would be thinking about successors as much as "family". I would think they are working on a range. EVF will be catered for, as will hinged displays. As will FF. It might seem that I'm getting beyond myself to say this, but I'd bet pretty big on it.

My biggest concern is Sony. They are absolutely on the ascendancy... and I'm not talking about E-mount for at least two years.
02-22-2012, 06:48 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"The next K-02 feature"???

Where's the current?

Only joking...my guess is as good as yours I suppose but an accessoire (EVF) viewfinder that slides into the hotshoe and mates with electronic contacts on the body doesn't sound like a bad idea, nor does a flip&twist LCD screen.
02-22-2012, 06:54 AM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by nah Quote
If the Sony Nex 5N can have touch screen and articulating screen for $599 body only, so can the K-01.
If the K-01 can have in body SR with full support for the 25 million K-mount lenses out there for $749 so can the Sony Nex 5N.

Last edited by jogiba; 02-22-2012 at 07:01 AM.
02-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Touche!
02-22-2012, 08:24 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Ridiculous photos above of an NEX with two rather HUGE lenses attached. Those lenses would be large on any camera. I can put my 5n with the kits lens side by side my K-7 with kit lens and get a better idea of how compact the 5n is. My 5n with my FA50/1.4 or FA35/2 is even more compact.

or on a typical sized DSLR...

Back on subject...

Jason

Last edited by Jasvox; 02-22-2012 at 08:30 AM.
02-23-2012, 08:49 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
If the K-01 can have in body SR with full support for the 25 million K-mount lenses out there for $749 so can the Sony Nex 5N.
Despite what the hard-headed Pentaxians want to believe, this is true. "25 million K-mount lenses out there" in reality only come down to a handful of actually useful and worth-to-be used lenses. As oppose to Sony's Nex-line, on which you can use any existing lens from any existing manufacturer with the appropriate adapter.

If Ricoh wanted to do something bold, they should've made a camera body with modular lens mount. So you could use any existing lens on the market with the appropriate AF-CAPABLE module. Imagine being able to use Nikon or Canon lenses with AF. Which also includes some gems in Canon FD-mount. And Leica and... The sky is the limit! Now, this is bold and ballsy!!! This is innovative!! This is game changing!!!

But instead they've vomited-out a lego-toy. (((

Last edited by alexeyga; 02-23-2012 at 09:05 AM.