Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
Not more absurd than releasing a Fisher Price-looking camera with the most advanced APS-C sized sensor on the market to date and hope that it will sell like pancakes!

I'd have to agree with monochrome, Pentax doesn't really know what to make of it. External design aimed at the kinder garden, amount of available external controls aimed at these who want to use their brain as little as possible and features-wise as capable as K5. It kinda doesn't really mix well together.
I think you took one line out of my reply and applied it out of context to support your position. I should have been clearer. Pentax isn't TELLING us what they think the camera is, at least in the USA. If they'd just tell us (market) what they were thinking we could all settle down. Unfortunately we all want it to be what we want it to be, and it isn't what most of us seem to want.

As I stated in the bulk of my post, I like the camera and I'm certain I'll like the results.

02-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Off topic?

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Sorry to the OP for dragging this so far off-topic.
I started this post kind of tongue-in-cheek thinking that it would get blasted by "They haven't even released the K-01 yet" crowd. The other side of me wanted to see what people thought of the eventual K-01 based product line. Once again I applaud R/P for developing something that is native K-mount. I am not sure what else they could have done to assure us that they are commited to the K-mount. That is big. I hope that everyone that has pre-ordered a K-01 is satisfied once it arrives.
02-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #33

son of k 01

The K - 01 is hopefully just a foot in the door to keep Pentax owners loyal. A K - 02 needs to have more category killing features. A sensor as advanced as the new Sigma DSLR would virtually extinguish the need to have a full frame sensor. 46 MP is getting close to the maximum that 35mm film could handle with optimum combinations. A visual viewfinder I regard as near essential when the sun is behind you, as it usually is. High speed capability would be nice- one of the Nikons goes 1,000 FPS for slow motion movies. Another near essential is availability of adaptors to mount non Pentax lenses as the NEX line have. Many of us have some legacy lenses that have a camera body available just for the lens. I have Minolta bodies just to go with a 58mm f/1.2 lens and there are some lenses that Pentax do not have in their lineup that I use frequently (fisheyes) that I have separate cameras to use with. I suspect that a camera that could use multiple manufacturers lenses in a stand out system could justify a very high price as photographers would be able to sell off their secondary systems. Do note, Pentax still have some unique features that make it more able to create a category killer- image stabilization, weather sealing, temperature range and GPS tracking to stabilize astro images . If all the great features of the current round of new cameras were to be incorporated with the Pentax technology, a category killer is there for the taking.
02-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fisheye freak Quote
The K - 01 is hopefully just a foot in the door to keep Pentax owners loyal.
Putting out an ugly stripped down camera isn't an especially good first attempt at keeping customers loyal.

02-25-2012, 09:26 AM - 3 Likes   #35
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Putting out an ugly stripped down camera isn't an especially good first attempt at keeping customers loyal.
The K-01 beats the heck out of the K-5 in video mode and at $749 instead of $1,199. It's now 2012 and video is bigger than stills on planet earth. If your in love with a zillion buttons and dials on very large DSLRs then get this one :
03-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #36
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Pentax should've put an articulating touch LCD screen on the current K-01 so it'd be a lot easier to use for either video or still photography.
Yep and I would like it to be a wide (16:9) 4 inch touch screen.

With QHD resolution 960x540 (3 dots) = 1.5 miljon dots.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphic_display_resolutions#qHD
03-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #37
Banned

I spent the last 2 1/2 years shooting videos with my K-7 so the K-01 should not be any harder to use without flip out LCD. Sure the K-01 would be better if it had the same LCD/EVF setup like the Nex-7 but it would cost $450 more , the same as the Nex-7 ( $1,199.99).
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Digital Camera (Black, Body Only) NEX7/B B&H
Pentax K-01 Digital Camera (Black) 15222 B&H Photo Video

03-03-2012, 10:34 PM   #38
Inactive Account

i currently shoot video with a gh2, but am looking for something that will do stills better, so im shopping for a second body. i was thinking the k01 could do both and it seemed very enticing at first, but ive decided its really not at all what im looking for and pentax kind of blew it on this one, if they could have done it right i would have paid more. the things i hate about it are:

1. flange distance - what on earth were they thinking?! you take out the mirror box and leave all that space, effectively erasing the benefits of mirrorless. STUPID MOVE! it would be nice to use a nikon mount tokina 11-16 on this thing, im just highly disappointed by this.
2. no view finder or articulating lcd - come on... im sorry but thats stupid.

what a waist of an amazing sensor this is, it doesnt make sense, just like the Q camera thing. im not brand loyal whatsoever, so nikon or sony gets my money for now because it makes more sense for me.
03-04-2012, 08:26 AM   #39
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Flange distance - what on earth were they thinking?!
Would you prefer Pentax made you use a huge $400 K-mount adapter to use K-mount DSLR lenses like the NEX-5N to use Sony A-mount DSLR lenses ? Try using Nikon DSLR lenses on the Nikon mirrorless cameras. Does the Sony Nex-5N have IBIS when using that $400 adapter ?
03-04-2012, 08:32 AM   #40
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by namtot Quote
1. flange distance - what on earth were they thinking?! you take out the mirror box and leave all that space, effectively erasing the benefits of mirrorless. STUPID MOVE! it would be nice to use a nikon mount tokina 11-16 on this thing, im just highly disappointed by this.
2. no view finder or articulating lcd - come on... im sorry but thats stupid.
Well I'm glad they made the choice to stay with K-mount. For big lenses there is no problem (since they are big and on Nex they don't handle good) and for pancakes it's nice. Pentax does need to make a nice 3-5x zoomlens that makes all of the advantage of having no mirror and going into the cameramount making it smal(lish).

I would have liked the articulating screen, but an expensive viewfinder would spoil the fun of having a cheaper camera.
03-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #41
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Would you prefer Pentax made you use a huge $400 K-mount adapter to use K-mount DSLR lenses like the NEX-5N to use Sony A-mount DSLR lenses ? Try using Nikon DSLR lenses on the Nikon mirrorless cameras. Does the Sony Nex-5N have IBIS when using that $400 adapter ?
there is no reason they would have to make something similar in price and uglyness to that sony adapter. olympus and panasonic make $150 adapters that let you use any m43 lens on any m43 body with full electronic lens control, the adapters look normal too, hardly noticable. pentax could have easily gone that route and opened up this camera to a lot more people who arent already invested in k-mount lenses.
03-04-2012, 06:06 PM   #42
Banned

there is no reason they would have to make something similar in price and uglyness to that sony adapter. olympus and panasonic make $150 adapters that let you use any m43 lens on any m43 body with full electronic lens control, the adapters look normal too, hardly noticable. pentax could have easily gone that route and opened up this camera to a lot more people who arent already invested in k-mount lenses.
So go buy something else. Pentax did the correct thing of coming out with the first mirrorless that takes the full line of DSLR lenses and with IBIS to boot. The Sony Nex-5N looks stupid with anything more than the slow 16mm pancake lens on it.

03-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #43
Inactive Account

i will buy something else, and it wont be an nex camera. im just sharing my opinion, people do that on internet forums, you dont have to be so bitter.
03-05-2012, 05:37 AM   #44
Banned

i will buy something else, and it wont be an nex camera. im just sharing my opinion, people do that on internet forums, you dont have to be so bitter.
Let us know what you get so we could tell you why it sux.
03-05-2012, 05:58 AM   #45
Veteran Member

K-02 should come with an OVF. (Imagine white smiley with red nose here.)