Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2012, 09:10 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Only time will tell....like it has with the X100 for Fuji...I hear production of it is still at 100% and the X-Pro is sold out before it even hits the street. They look great, and feel great, like fine cameras.....and they have viewfinders.......kind of hard to say those two factors don't matter in a mirrorless camera? Their marketing has mainly consisted of just putting a desirable product in the marketplace and then selling them like crazy......pretty innovative marketing I'd say!

Regards!

02-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
The K-01 is the world's first mirrorless camera that uses the full line of DSLR lenses and on top of that has IBIS with all 25 million K-mount lenses out there.
On the pro-side is that current users of those Nex camera's now know that with a real lens on it it isn't small anymore. No matter what Sony will tell you in their advertising.

No idea how many will sell, but for now it is not popular among K-mount users overhere.
02-26-2012, 10:09 AM   #33
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
BS, the K-01 specs way better than the K-5 in video specs and video is trending way past stills in 2012. I see many are still living in the past so if you want to stay there then so be it.
Some of us hillbillies haven't figured out what a digital camera is yet.
02-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A sight for four-eyes...

I think that a camera without a VF needs to be marketed to the eyeglass wearer crowd. I don't have a clue as to how to do that though.

The K-01 is obviously an entry level MILC. I doubt that it will sell well enough to merit a long production run. It is intriguing though because it has shown us some direction. Of course I am on the edge of my chair waiting to see the direction Pentax DSLR's will take.

02-26-2012, 11:01 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Response to Jogiba

"Why would a new user want a K-01 more than someone with many K-mount lenses that shoots in video mode more than still mode ? I"

1) THe style seems to resonate more with non dSLR users (see other thread "outside the bubble")
2) the lack of an EVF makes this an negative to dSLR user.
3) I believe Pentax will have an SLR with similar video capabilities thus making the K-01 for video moot,.
4) the user interface is designed for new users and P&S users.

Besides good old Rupert does not like it and had some negative comments on it in his squirrel forum over at flkr.

Nick
02-26-2012, 01:16 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by spartan Quote
"Why would a new user want a K-01 more than someone with many K-mount lenses that shoots in video mode more than still mode ? I"

1) THe style seems to resonate more with non dSLR users (see other thread "outside the bubble")
2) the lack of an EVF makes this an negative to dSLR user.
3) I believe Pentax will have an SLR with similar video capabilities thus making the K-01 for video moot,.
4) the user interface is designed for new users and P&S users.

Besides good old Rupert does not like it and had some negative comments on it in his squirrel forum over at flkr.

Nick
I wouldn't put too much weight on that part of your evaluation.....even the Squirrels don't give him a lot of credibility when it comes to photography. They do concede he has a big mouth.......And he feeds them well, otherwise they would have done away with him years ago.
02-26-2012, 01:59 PM   #37
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
I think that a camera without a VF needs to be marketed to the eyeglass wearer crowd. I don't have a clue as to how to do that though.

The K-01 is obviously an entry level MILC. I doubt that it will sell well enough to merit a long production run. It is intriguing though because it has shown us some direction. Of course I am on the edge of my chair waiting to see the direction Pentax DSLR's will take.
Pentax makes lenses for eyeglasses (my wifes glasses are Pentax ), could do a rebate deal, however will be Hoya division now though.
02-26-2012, 02:40 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Please quantify your supposition.

02-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #39
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
+1 on this. It has the stuff of the K-5 in it such as sensor etc. Plus it can make use of K-mount lenses. If it is entry level, Oly et al. better tremble.
02-26-2012, 03:32 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The K-01 is obviously an entry level MILC.
Well I do agree with you on that for a lot. But at a image quality that is very respectable (but I guess we do find that that 16mp sensor is to beconsiddered as basic today). It does not have the futures you can find in Olympus OM-D, but it wins in Images. It looks entry-level and not pro-camera.

There is no reason why it couldn't sell good, but it would sell better with a Nikon-tag.
02-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Can't quantify...

I can't quantify it, but I will offer this as to qualifying it.

First off, I am not an expert on any of this - it is just my opinion. The K-01 may be great with images and video, but Nikon, Sony, Olympus and others, have (or will have shortly) MILC's on the market with simple, useful features such as articulating lcd's. (Not sure about Nikon, but I am sure that they will soon if they don't have one already.) If I were going to devote myself to exclusive use of an lcd, I would think that it wouldn't be so limited as to be fixed.

I just think that there is the potential for improvements to the K-01 because consumers will want even more useful features. I don't see why the K-01 would not be subject to similar product development programs that we have seen for many years now that digital cameras have become mainstream - more and more features with subsequent models. Probably the best gauge for all this is Canon. They are late to get into the MILC market. What will their initial offering have? Will they test the water by putting one foot in at a time as Pentax has, or will they just dive in head first? I am betting that they are planning to leap frog over some of the other players with their introduction. Also, since Canon has been so late to join the MILC crowd, maybe R/P has seen a slight bit less urgency, thus they produced an introductory camera in lieu of one with more features.

Let me just add that I don't think that the K-01 won't sell. I just think that it might not have a long production run because the MILC market competition is probably going to get more intense. Just my thoughts.
02-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't quantify it, but I will offer this as to qualifying it.

First off, I am not an expert on any of this - it is just my opinion. The K-01 may be great with images and video, but Nikon, Sony, Olympus and others, have (or will have shortly) MILC's on the market with simple, useful features such as articulating lcd's. (Not sure about Nikon, but I am sure that they will soon if they don't have one already.) If I were going to devote myself to exclusive use of an lcd, I would think that it wouldn't be so limited as to be fixed.

I just think that there is the potential for improvements to the K-01 because consumers will want even more useful features. I don't see why the K-01 would not be subject to similar product development programs that we have seen for many years now that digital cameras have become mainstream - more and more features with subsequent models. Probably the best gauge for all this is Canon. They are late to get into the MILC market. What will their initial offering have? Will they test the water by putting one foot in at a time as Pentax has, or will they just dive in head first? I am betting that they are planning to leap frog over some of the other players with their introduction. Also, since Canon has been so late to join the MILC crowd, maybe R/P has seen a slight bit less urgency, thus they produced an introductory camera in lieu of one with more features.

Let me just add that I don't think that the K-01 won't sell. I just think that it might not have a long production run because the MILC market competition is probably going to get more intense. Just my thoughts.
Hoya actually lost money in FY2011 (ended 03/31/2011) and likely turned off all the spending possible at Pentax. Interestingly the Mark Newson contract was let spring 2011, so spending on product development wasn't completely stopped. Then of course negotiations with Ricoh began - who knows when - probably mid-summer.
  • I'd bet the K-01 was originally hoped for as a holiday product, but delayed by coporate actions.
  • I'd bet they're well down the upgrade path already and I imagine a bendy screen or articulating screen or even a touchscreen is next.
  • I bet they never do an OVF with this format.
  • I bet except for the WG series, compacts go away entirely within a year or two (see the Nokia 808 41Mp telephone thread started today).
  • I bet they develop the XS lens line and market a MILC in SLR format with VF option (EVF/OVF) as well as MILC in the K-01 format with a Q type optional VF, with certain functions disabled as was the K-r.
  • I bet Ricoh surprises us many times iover the coming year.
IMHO this camera is a learning exercise that will spawn many developemtns.
02-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #43
Veteran Member

+1 100%

Hoya actually lost money in FY2011 (ended 03/31/2011) and likely turned off all the spending possible at Pentax. Interestingly the Mark Newson contract was let spring 2011, so spending on product development wasn't completely stopped. Then of course negotiations with Ricoh began - who knows when - probably mid-summer.
  • I'd bet the K-01 was originally hoped for as a holiday product, but delayed by coporate actions.
  • I'd bet they're well down the upgrade path already and I imagine a bendy screen or articulating screen or even a touchscreen is next.
  • I bet they never do an OVF with this format.
  • I bet except for the WG series, compacts go away entirely within a year or two (see the Nokia 808 41Mp telephone thread started today).
  • I bet they develop the XS lens line and market a MILC in SLR format with VF option (EVF/OVF) as well as MILC in the K-01 format with a Q type optional VF, with certain functions disabled as was the K-r.
  • I bet Ricoh surprises us many times iover the coming year.
IMHO this camera is a learning exercise that will spawn many developemtns.
I agree 100%. Possible exception might be eliminating all the P & S's except for the WG series. It is my belief that Ricoh fancies themselves as innovators. They might use the Ricoh P & S line as proving ground for more funkiness. They might be smart to do that and let the Pentax people run the more serious stuff.

P.S. Losing money in the digital camera business comes and goes. I believe that Sony is bleeding right now.

Last edited by lammie200; 02-27-2012 at 11:51 AM.
02-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree 100%. Possible exception might be eliminating all the P & S's except for the WG series. It is my belief that Ricoh fancies themselves as innovators. They might use the Ricoh P & S line as proving ground for more funkiness. They might be smart to do that and let the Pentax people run the more serious stuff.

P.S. Losing money in the digital camera business comes and goes. I believe that Sony is bleeding right now.
Sony is bleeding in many areas not sure it's actually the camera business that is the problem. Gaming has been losing money, the movie studioa investment was a horrible move for them and cost them multi millions in loses, they have lost their stranglehold on quality Televisions (at one point you didn't even think about it if you wanted the best TV you bought Sony - hell there picture tube won an emmy). Then the flat panel revolution happened and they lost the leading edge big time and are actually using panels fro a joint venture with Samsung
Their biggest issue is the lose of dynamic visionary leadership. When Akio Morita stepped down it was a big hit for them, then when Norio Ogha (Morita's hand chosen successor) went they really lost direction.
Akio Morita was truly visionary and took chances that made the company what it was. since 2000 they have a management by consensus very conservative style. they lost a ton of their best engineers due to this more than a decade ago. At one point if a project was deemed to be the big push the division was given very free reign in development and given high level support. The closest to this now is the camera division BTW
02-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've gotten a bit pissy and moan-y the last ten days given all the nagativity about the K-01, but I haven't canceled my pre-order yet. For whatever reason I'm intrigued by the camera.

It also prompts me to make some real decisions about he 12 flim SLR's I ahve on shelves that I can't shoot with any more (vision issues). About all I can use is an LX with FB-1 FC-1 (Living Room Window) VF.

I am bound and determined to make the K-01 work with my lenses.