Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2012, 12:41 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I've gotten a bit pissy and moan-y the last ten days given all the nagativity about the K-01, but I haven't canceled my pre-order yet. For whatever reason I'm intrigued by the camera.

It also prompts me to make some real decisions about he 12 flim SLR's I ahve on shelves that I can't shoot with any more (vision issues). About all I can use is an LX with FB-1 FC-1 (Living Room Window) VF.

I am bound and determined to make the K-01 work with my lenses.

I imagine if at some point it isn't meeting your needs completely Pentax will have launched a more enthusiast MILC as well (Though forme anyway reality is Any camera with AV/TV and M modes meets my needs for use (TAV is nice but not a deal breaker - hell after years of carrying 2-3 bodies for film so i could move between iso and b/w any digital camera is a joy ))

02-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Right on...

I've gotten a bit pissy and moan-y the last ten days given all the nagativity about the K-01, but I haven't canceled my pre-order yet. For whatever reason I'm intrigued by the camera.

It also prompts me to make some real decisions about he 12 flim SLR's I ahve on shelves that I can't shoot with any more (vision issues). About all I can use is an LX with FB-1 FC-1 (Living Room Window) VF.

I am bound and determined to make the K-01 work with my lenses.
Right on. You may just be on the cutting edge of Pentax (D)SLR owners that will evenually be embracing their MILC technology. Nothing wrong with that if it works for you.
02-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #48
Veteran Member

This would be my marketing strategy for the K-01, and this is coming from a guy who really has no reason to buy one. . .

First, establish the market that you're targeting. The P&S upgrader is probably the largest market.

Think like a P&S upgrader --

1. Wants better IQ -- stress that the K-01 uses the same sensor as the IQ class-leading flagship of the Pentax DSLR line, the K-5

2. Wants to be able to shoot in lower light with better quality -- show an indoor scene shot at ISO 10000 and compare it to one shot at ISO 400/800 from a P&S. Stress ISO 25600 vs 6400, the numbers look like a lot bigger difference than the 2 stops reality.

3. Wants Automatic functions. An initial photo with the K-01 and all the lenses in the current K mount system was a good start (I don't recall if they included all the F and FA series lenses, but they should), but to be effective at all, a contrast has to be drawn with the competition. Show this pic side-by-side with NEX, OLY, Panny, and NX MILC systems with all their system lenses that will allow fully auto shooting with their bodies (AF being stressed). The pic of the K-01 and lenses alone means nothing by itself to a P&S shooter unfamiliar with camera systems.

Then show a pic with the K-01 and every K mount lens you can get your hands on (get outrageous and include all of the MF super teles) and label it as all the lenses that will be stabilized on the K-01 without needing any adapter. I think the visual impact would be impressive. Minimal text is needed, just explain the concept.

4. Wants future upgrade path whether it's really realistic or not. Show a pic with the K-01 with all the current K mount system lenses, flashes, etc., then a pic of a K-5 with the same lenses, then contrast this with separate shots of NEX, OLY, Panny, and NX with all their respective system lenses, and pics with their current DSLR body from each of the mfgs and all the MILC system lenses that will migrate with the shooter to a current DSLR system, which of course would be pics of the lonely DSLR bodies by themselves, if indeed there are any DSLR bodies to be shown. Keep the text minimal, just enough to explain what you're contrasting.

Pentax has a big advantage for the P&S upgrader -- a full line of AF lenses -- all stabilized and not needing adapters that limit functionality. The previous upgrade path was to a DSLR, but now you're offering an intermediate step in camera sophistication -- considerably better IQ (with a 13x bigger sensor that can almost shoot in the dark --ISO 12800-25600!) with the same interface and shooting style as they're used to. People do not want to be limited when they're choosing a product, even if they never really take advantage of the choices that are available. Stress the relative limitations of the competition in fully automatic lens selection. Tout the future upgrade path to a DSLR because that's the perception that the public has anyway. Play on the suggestion that if someone's looking to step up from a P&S now, that they will eventually want to make the ultimate upgrade to a DSLR, and the advantages that a common lens system will yield at that time. Illustrate the competitions inability to offer anything close to this.

Pentax has a unique concept. It can be sold, but needs to be explained in a quick and easily understood way -- pictures of the contrasts that illustrate the concept is the best way, IMO. A few photographs would go a long way. . .

Scott
02-27-2012, 02:58 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
This would be my marketing strategy for the K-01, and this is coming from a guy who really has no reason to buy one. . .

First, establish the market that you're targeting. The P&S upgrader is probably the largest market.

Think like a P&S upgrader --

1. Wants better IQ -- stress that the K-01 uses the same sensor as the IQ class-leading flagship of the Pentax DSLR line, the K-5

2. Wants to be able to shoot in lower light with better quality -- show an indoor scene shot at ISO 10000 and compare it to one shot at ISO 400/800 from a P&S. Stress ISO 25600 vs 6400, the numbers look like a lot bigger difference than the 2 stops reality.

3. Wants Automatic functions. An initial photo with the K-01 and all the lenses in the current K mount system was a good start (I don't recall if they included all the F and FA series lenses, but they should), but to be effective at all, a contrast has to be drawn with the competition. Show this pic side-by-side with NEX, OLY, Panny, and NX MILC systems with all their system lenses that will allow fully auto shooting with their bodies (AF being stressed). The pic of the K-01 and lenses alone means nothing by itself to a P&S shooter unfamiliar with camera systems.

Then show a pic with the K-01 and every K mount lens you can get your hands on (get outrageous and include all of the MF super teles) and label it as all the lenses that will be stabilized on the K-01 without needing any adapter. I think the visual impact would be impressive. Minimal text is needed, just explain the concept.

4. Wants future upgrade path whether it's really realistic or not. Show a pic with the K-01 with all the current K mount system lenses, flashes, etc., then a pic of a K-5 with the same lenses, then contrast this with separate shots of NEX, OLY, Panny, and NX with all their respective system lenses, and pics with their current DSLR body from each of the mfgs and all the MILC system lenses that will migrate with the shooter to a current DSLR system, which of course would be pics of the lonely DSLR bodies by themselves, if indeed there are any DSLR bodies to be shown. Keep the text minimal, just enough to explain what you're contrasting.

Pentax has a big advantage for the P&S upgrader -- a full line of AF lenses -- all stabilized and not needing adapters that limit functionality. The previous upgrade path was to a DSLR, but now you're offering an intermediate step in camera sophistication -- considerably better IQ (with a 13x bigger sensor that can almost shoot in the dark --ISO 12800-25600!) with the same interface and shooting style as they're used to. People do not want to be limited when they're choosing a product, even if they never really take advantage of the choices that are available. Stress the relative limitations of the competition in fully automatic lens selection. Tout the future upgrade path to a DSLR because that's the perception that the public has anyway. Play on the suggestion that if someone's looking to step up from a P&S now, that they will eventually want to make the ultimate upgrade to a DSLR, and the advantages that a common lens system will yield at that time. Illustrate the competitions inability to offer anything close to this.

Pentax has a unique concept. It can be sold, but needs to be explained in a quick and easily understood way -- pictures of the contrasts that illustrate the concept is the best way, IMO. A few photographs would go a long way. . .

Scott

those ads work well for me, I'd add some basic lifestyle ads with people shooting them (party's, family events, baby's first words/steps etc shooting video and stills with ease (in low light for that matter) assuming you can easily flip to video by pressing the red button it would be easy to show how easy it is to capture that moment as a still and video

Ease of use and capturing the one off memory is the big sell , the huge assortment of lenses and family of old lenses is the sizzle IMO. P&S up-graders don't think like the rest of us they want to capture those special moments - Kodak was damn successful at this for eon's until they lost their way in the digital age

02-27-2012, 03:11 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Snip

Ease of use and capturing the one off memory is the big sell , the huge assortment of lenses and family of old lenses is the sizzle IMO. P&S up-graders don't think like the rest of us they want to capture those special moments - Kodak was damn successful at this for eon's until they lost their way in the digital age
From "Just hold a Pentax" to "Its a Pentax Moment."
02-27-2012, 03:23 PM   #51
Veteran Member

From "Just hold a Pentax" to "Its a Pentax Moment."
It is the biggest stumbling Block I see for Pentax at the Moment. This christmas' ad campaigns will be the real measure of how well things are changing. A couple of years back Oly did some very interesting TV campaigns for M4/3 and I''m certain it had impact (the this commercial was shot on one series)
It was a strong enough AD series that Canon countered with a rebel one that virtually knocked it off
that's the kind of Ad Pentax needs. When oly did that series they had less share than Pentax does now and they were selling a very limited system with few lenses and a couple of bodies
You could make some powerhouse statements around the K-01 combined with the upgrade path idea. Like Scott said a K-01 with all the system lenses then a K5 with the same lenses, followed up by a generic name blocked out Nex system or J/V1 system with all the lenses and then the name blacked out DSLR with no lenses (this could be a 15 second spot 2 ads after the lifestyle ad in rotation on network TV Prime time. Get some K-01 K5 bodies in use on NCIS or CSI hell they don't even hold the cameras correctly and are doing macro closeups with the onboard flash half the time anyway
02-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #52
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well I guess people are more trackt by having a present then most pictures showing lenses that you don't what function they have. Those lenses make it more confusing.

Marketsuggestion from my side:

- Two presents with the camera; a spare battery and a 16 GB SDHC card.