Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2012, 07:13 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How to market the K-01

The K01 is certainly controversial. I will not pass judgment on the design as I am notoriously not a good indicator for mainstream taste. However, One thing I do like about the K-01 is the fact that pentax did NOT introduce another lens system. However, due to Kmount compatibility it is a thick body. Some key messages need to be conveyed in selling this camera

1) The APSc sensor is bigger and better
2) Bigger sensors mean bigger lenses with longer focal lenghts
3) Compare cameras with the lenses on it. No one buys a camera without lenses.
4) the K-01 is about the same size as the Sony NEX, SS, etc with a lens attached. The lens dominates.
5) There are XS lenses that will make this system as small as possible (please introduce a XS 18-55 zoom to eliminate any depth difference).
6) discount a DA 21 +K01 package. the new 40mm is nice but the FL is a bit too long.
7) there more lenses available with this ILC than any other ILC on the market. Flaunt it.
8) The K-01 is listed under ILC at B&H photo. The vast array of lenses will be listed in the dSLR section at B&H so someone may not get the message that the K-01 has a vast array of lenses. Can a link be provided? relist the lenses?

I had an interesting exchange with a Canon fanboy on the K-01

Digital cameras, point & shoot

02-25-2012, 08:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

That assumes that Pentax USA will actually do any marketing.
02-25-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
That assumes that Pentax USA will actually do any marketing.
I hope Pentax doesn't waste a dime on marketing, it's now 2012 and if you have K-mount lenses and don't know about the K-01 then you must be in a coma. There are enough Pentax K-mount 35mm SLR/DSLR users on the planet to make the K-01 a great seller since we are in the internet age. Facebook has almost a Billion users today compared to 0 in early 2004.

PENTAX | Facebook
https://twitter.com/#!/PentaxForums

Ricoh has a large sign in Times Square and I bet you will see the K-01 on it this spring.

Last edited by jogiba; 02-25-2012 at 10:00 AM.
02-25-2012, 10:19 AM   #4
JFN
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why should they market it on specs? From what I've seen so far the USP's are:

1. It's designed by some fancy industry designer
2. Comes in different colors
3. It's great for video, even has a "groundbreaking" dedicated "short cut" button for video mode

Sounds like Apple methods to me... (Apple _never_ market on specs...).

02-25-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
market on specs...

THen you can buy the V1 or Q if specs dont matter and simplicty does.
02-25-2012, 10:55 AM   #6
JFN
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by spartan Quote
THen you can buy the V1 or Q if specs dont matter and simplicty does.
It's never about the product, everything is about the positioning and how you market it, and market on specs would make sense would it be a high end body aimed at gearheads, but from what they've communicated so far I don't get the feeling that K-01 is aimed for that target group, instead it seems to be aimed towards a more trend sensitive target group, and they don't buy on specs..
02-25-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by JFN Quote
It's never about the product, everything is about the positioning and how you market it, and market on specs would make sense would it be a high end body aimed at gearheads, but from what they've communicated so far I don't get the feeling that K-01 is aimed for that target group, instead it seems to be aimed towards a more trend sensitive target group, and they don't buy on specs..
BS, the K-01 specs way better than the K-5 in video specs and video is trending way past stills in 2012. I see many are still living in the past so if you want to stay there then so be it.

02-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

My idea was to do all the advertising in Braille and Market to every Home for the Blind on earth. If they can't see how ugly it is, and surely need no viewfinder, it is bound to be a big hit?

More seriously, despite my personal feelings, I hope the K-01 finds some success, I am often reminded in my old age just how out of touch I am with the "Modern World", and may just get another lesson with the K-01. Any gamblers out there?

Best Regards!
02-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #9
JFN
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
BS, the K-01 specs way better than the K-5 in video specs and video is trending way past stills in 2012. I see many are still living in the past so if you want to stay there then so be it.

I don't talk about me, I talk about how marketing actually works. And even if it specs better etc. doesnt matter, has nothing to do with marketing/positioning etc.
02-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by spartan Quote
How to market the K-01
I'd suggest ads with beautiful and scantily-clad women.
02-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Taken with a K-01. And the video . . .
02-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JFN Quote
Agreed, but there may be more than one target group. In any case, I would like to see Pentax take a page out of Apple's marketing playbook with something along the lines of the "Think Different" campaign. Of course, it didn't hurt when Apple brought out the revolutionary iPod. I don't think that the K-01 is revolutionary, but it is unique.

Rob
02-25-2012, 05:32 PM   #13
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Gentlemen.....we are talking about Marketing? If there is any appreciable Marketing from Pentax it will signal a new direction, without doubt. My local hardware store does more Marketing in my small town that Pentax did in America last year. In my local tiny Metroplex of 4 Million +people, there is not a Pentax camera to be seen anywhere for sale that I am aware of....and even less Marketing...if that is possible. Maybe you guys know something I don't?
Regards!
02-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
That only raises other issues
02-25-2012, 05:45 PM   #15
JFN
Veteran Member

On the product page, the first thing you read is this:

"When is a camera more than a photographer’s tool? The answer is when it’s an object designed by Marc Newson, one of the most acclaimed and influential contemporary designers. The PENTAX K-01 marks the intersection where high technology and high design meet."

And a picture of a yellow K-01 ...

Then next thing you get is this:

"Marc Newson Design
Gorgeous contemporary styling by world renowned designer Marc Newson features bold lines and colors, rounded corners, and soft, rubberized accents for a “timeless, trusty, and touchable” appeal."

It's pretty obvious that this camera is aimed at a certain target group....