Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Congrats and have fun. I'm hoping to hear insight on how improved the display lag is from the K5.

02-29-2012, 09:56 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
So it looks like my K-01 has shipped...hopefully I'll have it early next week and our in-depth review (which I will be doing personally this time) will follow shortly thereafter.
Looking forward to your comments on the improvements made to LiveView compared to the implementation in the last DSLRs.
02-29-2012, 10:30 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just want to second the request for some comments on viewing the LCD under various daylight conditions. Lack of a VF is a big concern for me, but if the LCD is good enough I might jump.
Would also like to know how the feature set and battery life compare to the K-5.
03-01-2012, 05:13 AM   #19
Veteran Member

This is awesome news. I cant waot for the review as the k01 maybe my next camera depending on the functionality of it as the k5 is out of my price range and the kr isnt that impressive anymore and still there is no replacement annouced.

03-01-2012, 05:29 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
So it looks like my K-01 has shipped...hopefully I'll have it early next week and our in-depth review (which I will be doing personally this time) will follow shortly thereafter.

I plan on doing some unique things in this review, such as mounting not only manual lenses on the K-01, but also trying out big lenses like the 300mm F2.8 or 250-600mm F5.6 to see how well the screen and AF hold up!
...and to see how your biceps holds up shooting with the 250-600mm without a viewfinder

I look forward to your review, and I think Pentax has done something clever with this camera. But if you test longer and longer lenses, you will have to use a tripod earlier that for a DSLR when you can't shoot with arms pressed to the body and camera pressed to the face. There is no way around that, and there are limits to what SR can do.
03-01-2012, 05:59 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
...and to see how your biceps holds up shooting with the 250-600mm without a viewfinder

I look forward to your review, and I think Pentax has done something clever with this camera. But if you test longer and longer lenses, you will have to use a tripod earlier that for a DSLR when you can't shoot with arms pressed to the body and camera pressed to the face. There is no way around that, and there are limits to what SR can do.
Monopod?

I'm quite prepared to use a monopod with this camera if need be; I already use one regularly with my Pentacon six TL when I have the 4/50 Flektogon or the 2.8/180 Sonnar mounted. I am just too weak to hold the thing steady otherwise and you do what you gotta do.
03-01-2012, 06:36 AM   #22

Great news!

If you can add some extra tests with external flash, I would appreciate it.
03-01-2012, 06:54 AM   #23
Forum Member

K-01 shipped

That is great news indeed. I must be down the list a bit since I ordered 2/24, but maybe this means before 3/29...all good!

To second several others in the thread, I am very interested in high-ISO performance, how the 40mm lens measures up to 40mmLTD (deal of the century if it's nearly as good), if the HDR mode is usable hand-held, and if peak focusing can make an ornery-focusing 500mm Rokinon mirror lens usable for me. The lens seems sharp--I just can't focus it. This last will be a bonus! But i don't mind putting it on a tripod. If the ISO range is like the K-5, it looks like I might have four stops extra to play with over my K20D, which might make the long teles easier to hand-hold...

03-01-2012, 08:29 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by asahi Quote
That is great news indeed. I must be down the list a bit since I ordered 2/24, but maybe this means before 3/29...all good!
Well the first yellow K-01 to arrive at my store is mine. I just hope they first ship yellow and not the others.

Well how fast is it in making pictures and storing RAW files when in Hi-speed mode? Can you controll the camera when data is stored or is it like K-5 in liveview a dead rabbit in your hands? Compared (if possible) image quality next to K-5 with similar pictures (same lens). And please don't make pictures of a brick wall.
03-01-2012, 08:34 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Classic Camera Grip - Pentax SLR instruction manual

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote

Douglas: You CAN and SHOULD shoot with arms pressed to the body. Find an old SLR instruction manual showing how to hold a camera. Using and SLR, hold the camera with the left palm under the base and the right hand around the grip, right index finger on the release button, just as you would a small SLR like an MESuper. Holding your elbows against your sides, raise the camera until the memo holder is six or eight inches from your chin - it will be slightly below eye level. Looking slightly down to the LCD will be the biggest adjustment. I beleive that will work out just fine. Do not allow yourself to be tempted to use the thumb and fingers - that won't work as well.

You will shoot with the K-01 this way, not thumbs adnd fingers as everyone holds a compact camera. There is enough area on the base of the K-01 for this to work.

Using longer lenses, you will simply extend your left hand onto the focusing ring of the lens. The base of the K-01 might actually rest on the very beginning of your inner wrist with a lens longer than 200MM. I tried it with the K200/2.5 - it works. I have practiced this with an MESuper and an LX with the FB-1/FC-1 sports viewfinder. I can maintain a stable shooting platform for 5 to 7 minutes before my arms tire.

Try this!!! it works!!!
03-01-2012, 08:38 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

B&H Backorder notice

I ordered 02/06 from B&H through the PentaxForums link. I received a backorder notice yesterday from B&H with no specified ship date. B&H promises to send me another email weekly until the merch. is in stock.
03-01-2012, 09:37 AM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Douglas: You CAN and SHOULD shoot with arms pressed to the body. Find an old SLR instruction manual showing how to hold a camera. Using and SLR, hold the camera with the left palm under the base and the right hand around the grip, right index finger on the release button, just as you would a small SLR like an MESuper. Holding your elbows against your sides, raise the camera until the memo holder is six or eight inches from your chin - it will be slightly below eye level. Looking slightly down to the LCD will be the biggest adjustment. I beleive that will work out just fine. Do not allow yourself to be tempted to use the thumb and fingers - that won't work as well.

You will shoot with the K-01 this way, not thumbs adnd fingers as everyone holds a compact camera. There is enough area on the base of the K-01 for this to work.

Using longer lenses, you will simply extend your left hand onto the focusing ring of the lens. The base of the K-01 might actually rest on the very beginning of your inner wrist with a lens longer than 200MM. I tried it with the K200/2.5 - it works. I have practiced this with an MESuper and an LX with the FB-1/FC-1 sports viewfinder. I can maintain a stable shooting platform for 5 to 7 minutes before my arms tire.

Try this!!! it works!!!

This should work... as long as 6-8 inches away works with everyone's eyesight. That's kind of why I like the idea of at least a tiltable LCD, allowing me to shoot from the waist while looking down at the screen tilted up at me. Still, if the K-01 works with the traditional holding position and the LCD works well in bright sunlight, fantastic.
03-02-2012, 06:10 AM   #28
Veteran Member

The camera is in our local stores already Some guys already got theirs. I'm getting mine tomorrow morning...

Last edited by frank; 03-02-2012 at 07:49 AM.
03-02-2012, 06:25 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I ordered 02/06 from B&H through the PentaxForums link. I received a backorder notice yesterday from B&H with no specified ship date. B&H promises to send me another email weekly until the merch. is in stock.
I got one of those notices as well. And my niece, to whom I passed down my old *ist DL, is going to give the kit lens that came with that camera back to me, so that's one more lens for me (I'm currently without a K-mount zoom.) She lost the cap and hood for the lens so I can just pray it's not all scratched up and unusable; I recall that it was quite a decent kit lens and a heck of a lot better than what shipped with that Nikon D60 I got later on.

In any case, I'm really started to get excited for this!
03-02-2012, 06:39 AM   #30
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
The camera is in our local stores already I'm getting mine tomorrow morning...
Inform us, please, about buffer in JPEG and in RAW