Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2012, 10:03 AM   #1
Banned

Dan Havlik (PDN) : K-01 "toy for adults"

QuoteQuote:
Buttons, dials and switches on the K-01 are slightly oversize, making the camera feel like a toy for adults, which it ultimately is.
Object of Desire: Pentax K-01 Camera

I guess I will now cancel my pre-order of the K-01 body since Dan Havlik says it's a toy for adults. I guess I will now look into a Canon or Nikon with K-mount adapter for my many K-mount lenses to shoot 1080p video since that is the brands the pros at PDN use.

03-02-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Truthfully, most cameras sold are toys for adults. I guess the K-01's sin in the eyes of some is it doesn't pretend not to be.
03-02-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't think that was really a negative review. Being a toy for adults really fits how a lot of us feel about our cameras, and it's certainly not trying to be a pro camera. It's trying to deliver for the enthusiast market.
03-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fly fishing rods, golf clubs, sports cars, audio gear, video gear - pick your "stuff" - are all toys for adults. Depending upon the adult, the quality of play can be juvenile, amateurish or nearly professional.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-02-2012 at 12:16 PM.
03-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
I don't think that was really a negative review. Being a toy for adults really fits how a lot of us feel about our cameras, and it's certainly not trying to be a pro camera. It's trying to deliver for the enthusiast market.
You're right - it wasn't a negative review. The camera was put in their regular "Object of Desire" column, which isn't a negative. He said that the fact that the dials and buttons were large made it feel like a toy for adults. But another reviewer has a different opinion about those buttons and dials:

"Thanks largely to the size of the body, the dials and controls on the exterior feel well spaced apart and simply laid out. Dials are chunky and satisfyingly resistant to operate."

That is from AP Hands on.... Pentax K-01 news - Amateur Photographer - news, camera reviews, lens reviews, camera equipment guides, photography courses, competitions, photography forums
That review is pretty well-balanced with pros and cons laid out as they should be and no snarky comments.
03-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #6
Banned

Original Poster
Someone posted the " K-01 toy for adults" quote from Dan Havlik on another thread and I made a remark without reading the whole review and that was a stupid mistake on my part. After reading the whole review I think it was one of the better short K-01 reviews I have seen so far.