Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2012, 05:24 AM   #16
Banned

Photos: Gallery
I see still Hoya on the battery. How is it with the bottomplate of the camera or other things like the box. Any sign of Ricoh?

03-03-2012, 06:14 AM   #17

About focus peaking, Ricoh have 2 mode and Sony NEX have 3 colors to choose from, does the K-01 only have one mode or color ?

Thanx you.
03-03-2012, 06:22 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Don From The Radio Quote
The 40mm XS works and fits on regular bodies? I thought it extended into the body and wouldn't work on film and regular DSLRs?
It worked fine on MZ-S. I took one roll of film today, now need to send for processing, this is gonna take a few days ...

But I did compare the lens w/ the DA40 Limited, I don't see any difference on the glass (from the back and front) except the aperture blades, the new 40XS has round shape aperture hole when set to F4 or F5.6, while you can clearly see the edges w/ the original DA40 Limited there.
03-03-2012, 06:32 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Check buffer, please. in DNG and JPEG. Or what are the buffer's figures in manual?
I did test on the buffer. When set to JPG and HI speed continuous shooting, at the begining the camera could take about 9 to 10 photos in very fast speed (what's the FPS for this camera? Sorry I forgot already), then kept going at around 2fps until over 107 (I was counting!), then stopped. I tested again later on, it took another 9 to 10 shots in fast speed, then stop at around 50 plus shots at 2fps. I tested again a few min later, it did the same at the begining, but stopped at around 40 plus shots. I don't know how and why this was happening. When set to RAW, the HI continuous setting is disabled, the camera can only set to LOW continuous shooting, and it'd take around or slightly over 1s to take one shot all the way until I didn't want to continue anymore.

So I guess if you want high speed fps shooting, you'd have to go w/ JPG setting.

03-03-2012, 06:32 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Nice write up, I too like the strap, very cool I want one.

But may I say, Your Silver MZ-S has given me half a chubby!!!!!!
Yeah, the silver MZ-S is a beauty indeed
03-03-2012, 06:34 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I see still Hoya on the battery. How is it with the bottomplate of the camera or other things like the box. Any sign of Ricoh?
I think they just reused the battery from K7/K5, that's why Hoya is still on it. But on the camera bottom it says:PENTAX RICOH IMAGING CO. LTD
03-03-2012, 06:35 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leopold Quote
About focus peaking, Ricoh have 2 mode and Sony NEX have 3 colors to choose from, does the K-01 only have one mode or color ?

Thanx you.
I can't find any other setting for Focus Peaking except enable or disable it. No color or mode to choose from...

03-03-2012, 06:44 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The box is gorgeous!
03-03-2012, 06:46 AM   #24
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
I think they just reused the battery from K7/K5, that's why Hoya is still on it. But on the camera bottom it says:PENTAX RICOH IMAGING CO. LTD
That's great, I could use my spare K-7 battery in my yellow K-01 when I get it.
03-03-2012, 06:47 AM   #25
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
I did test on the buffer. When set to JPG and HI speed continuous shooting, at the begining the camera could take about 9 to 10 photos in very fast speed (what's the FPS for this camera? Sorry I forgot already), then kept going at around 2fps until over 107 (I was counting!), then stopped. I tested again later on, it took another 9 to 10 shots in fast speed, then stop at around 50 plus shots at 2fps. I tested again a few min later, it did the same at the begining, but stopped at around 40 plus shots. I don't know how and why this was happening. When set to RAW, the HI continuous setting is disabled, the camera can only set to LOW continuous shooting, and it'd take around or slightly over 1s to take one shot all the way until I didn't want to continue anymore.

So I guess if you want high speed fps shooting, you'd have to go w/ JPG setting.
6 fps and 3 fps modes.

Thank you. As I understand - DNG is only for 3 fps mode?
03-03-2012, 06:59 AM   #26

Thank you Frank for your answer about peaking feature.
03-03-2012, 07:21 AM   #27

that strap makes me think of this commercial

03-03-2012, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
6 fps and 3 fps modes.

Thank you. As I understand - DNG is only for 3 fps mode?
Yes, when set to RAW, HI mode is disabled, can only choose Lo for continuous shooting.
03-03-2012, 08:18 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Only got chance taking a roll of film w/ the new 40mm lens on an MZ-S today, didn't play the new camera much. But here are a few quick snaps anyway.

One of the very first testing shots after I opened the box, my naughty boy:

Some quick high ISO test I did a few min ago (RAW converted by CS5, no noise reduction) ...

ISO3200:

ISO12800:

ISO25600:

I can upload the RAW (DNG) files if I can figure out a way. Or maybe you guys can tell me how. My google plus account doesn't allow me to share RAW I think ...
03-03-2012, 08:32 AM   #30
ogl
Banned

Pentax K-01 has the same mode of FOCUS PEAKING as Mode 2 or as Mode 1 of GXR ??? It seems to me - Mode 1.

Ricoh GXR A12 Field Report

The Ricoh GXR-M has it in two forms, one similar to that which Sony features, where a shimmer effect shows up around the edges of the subject with highest contrast, and therefore sharpest focus. The other, illustrated above, turns the entire screen into a B&W etched outline. Ricoh calls these Mode 1 and Mode 2 respectively.

I really like Mode 2. I have set up the GXR-M so that Fn1 activates and deactivates peaking, while Fn2 activates and deactivates center focus magnification. Half pressing the shutter release always instantly returns the LCD or EVF to regular viewing. I find that this combination works very well for me.

Just one parenthetical note. Because Leica M lenses have manual aperture rings one will always achieve best focus by doing so with the lens wide open. If you try and focus with the lens stopped down to shooting aperture, particularly at smaller apertures, depth of field can lead to some inaccuracy. My method of working is to open the lens wide (counter-clockwise), focus, and then stop down to shooting aperture. Once you know how many "clicks" it is to a given aperture one can do this with the camera at eye level.

Of course if shooting rapidly changing subjects then I revert to traditional hyperfocal zone focusing, making the whole focusing excercise moot.

Last edited by ogl; 03-03-2012 at 08:48 AM.