Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
03-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Frank, I played with the ISO200 shot of your son a bit in Lightroom and I have to say it looks great. RAWs are very similar to what you'd get from the K-5, as expected.

03-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Frank - congrats! Thank you for sharing this with all of us - what an amazing world we have here.

My blood is positively boiling waiting for mine. Alas, I didn't order the 40XS since I have the regular 40 (poor me - just a regular 40 Limited. Get real, self). I am particularly excited by your speculation that MF lens users will be pleased with the CDAF focus peaking system. If you have the opportunity will you kindly play with a MF lens for us? I'm drooling to get my K35, 135 and 200 mounted on this camera.

(Although perhaps I should save something for the joy of discovery).
03-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #48
Inactive Account

Proper toy size pentax K-01.
03-03-2012, 02:24 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Just because the lens can be mounted on a FF camera does not mean that the image circle will cover the entire frame.
Duh.

But Frank did indicate he saw no visible vignetting when he mounted that lens on his film MZ-S. Anyway, the proof will be when his prints come back from the lab. Not that it is a huge issue anyway.

And thanks Frank for putting up this thread and the K-01 files. Very informative.

03-03-2012, 02:39 PM   #50
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Format Compatibility Pentax Digital (APS-C)
Pentax DA 40mm f/2.8 XS Lens 22137 B&H Photo Video

But I guess vignetting is not noticeable in a 35mm SLR.
03-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #51

I was wondering if when shooting a moving object the image freezes on the screen when you focus or if it stays active so you can still track the object?

Tom
03-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ennacac Quote
I was wondering if when shooting a moving object the image freezes on the screen when you focus or if it stays active so you can still track the object?

Tom
Yes - I have a similar question. On My K-5 if I am in Liveview and I have the camera in high continuous with AF-c, once I start shooting I cannot see the image display on the screen.

What is the behavior of the K-01 when shooting continuous as far as the display. Also, is AF-C supported?

03-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #53
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
But didn't we already know that a K-mount lens would fit on any K-mount camera? Just because the lens can be mounted on a FF camera does not mean that the image circle will cover the entire frame. My guess is that it won't.

Rob
At least it cleared the mirror on the film camera. Just because it is K-mount does not mean that there is adequate rear element clearance for the longer mirrors of a 35mm film camera. As it is, issues may still exist for models other than the MZ-S since mirror travel is sometimes a bit complicated on some cameras and some bodies have longer mirrors than others.

Steve
03-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ennacac Quote

Tom
The active pics always show on the screen but there is a bit delay, the screen black once on the first shot then remains on.
03-03-2012, 06:08 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
At least it cleared the mirror on the film camera. Just because it is K-mount does not mean that there is adequate rear element clearance for the longer mirrors of a 35mm film camera. As it is, issues may still exist for models other than the MZ-S since mirror travel is sometimes a bit complicated on some cameras and some bodies have longer mirrors than others.

Steve
The future XS lenses (or we shall say those K-01 dedicated lenses) will definitely have problem working w other cameras, but this 40XS has no problem working on K5 or MZ-S. We'll see the film results in a few days but i suspect it's the same as the DA 40 Limited lens on film.
03-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Frank, I played with the ISO200 shot of your son a bit in Lightroom and I have to say it looks great. RAWs are very similar to what you'd get from the K-5, as expected.
Yes, the new camera seems working as well as the K5 IQ wise. The battery lasts pretty long too. I've taken over 500 shots on the first battery, which wasn't even freshly charged (taken out from my K5 'cause the K01 battery needed to be charged), and battery indicator still shows full bar
03-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey Frank, I'm curious about the 12 bit vs 14 bit output (and the new Prime M). If you have a K5, would you mind taking a raw shot from each camera of the same scene @ ISO 100 and ISO 6400?

Without ISO 80 and 14bit frames, I'm wondering how DR compares. Thanks for being our guinnea pig! Feel free to ignore me and just have fun with your new toy.
03-03-2012, 07:53 PM   #58

Frank, thank you for providing those RAW images. I downloaded a couple of the high ISO shots to compare them to what my last dSLR, a Nikon D60, was capable of, and I have to say that (all other technical considerations aside), this camera is going to be a HUGE upgrade for me, just as I'd hoped.

Other features I'm curious about, in particular, is the in-camera HDR. Since it is jpg-only I wondering if it is any good or worth using at all. But you've got a lot of requests, so if you don't get to this one, no worries.
03-03-2012, 10:41 PM   #59
Banned

Photos: Albums
Does the K-01 have the noise that DSLRs have in LiveView (the SR noise) or is that gone?
03-04-2012, 01:58 AM   #60
Veteran Member

@Frank - Any shutter lag that is significant in any way for the K-01?