Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2012, 08:23 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Thanks again for the efforts Frank.

I find the G3 output to be most definitely interesting against the K's. Though I don't have the time now, but I've set my sights on using it as a new baseline for my RAW default profiles(settings).

Having said that, can you confirm or deny that I'm seeing moire patters in the G3 sample? I didn't get the chance to investigate or pixel peep the images but from here, it looks like there are vertical aliasing patterns in some of the colored patterns on the can.
Well, you are absolutely right! I didn't notice this until you said so.

I'm holding the actual can right now, and looking at the heart shape and the flower on its right, the color patterns and straps look exactly like those in K-01/K-5 photos, but somehow G3 photos added some extra lines in the pattern. Here are the crop of the heart shape enlarged 2x:

K-5:

K-01

G3

This is very obvious now when looking at the enlarged crops.

Oh well, this again shows the difference between the K-5/K-01 sensors and the G3 sensor

03-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #77
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Well, you are absolutely right! I didn't notice this until you said so.

I'm holding the actual can right now, and looking at the heart shape, the color straps look exactly like those in K-01/K-5 photos, but somehow G3 photos added some vertical lines in the straps. Here are the crop of the heart shape enlarged 2x:

K-5:

K-01

G3

Oh well, this again shows the difference between the K-5/K-01 sensors and the G3 sensor
Okay that makes good sense. The added sharpness seen from the G3 is likely part it having either; no AA filter, or... a very weak AA filter. However, on the downside, this can create moire patterns in areas, particularly with linear patterns(as seen here) which is commonly found with silk screened decals and patterns.

PS. I've found the 645D also suffers from this effect.
03-08-2012, 08:34 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okay that makes good sense. The added sharpness seen from the G3 is likely part it having no that of a very weak AA filter. However, on the downside, this can create moire patterns in areas, particularly with linear patterns(as seen here) which is commonly found with silk screened decals and patterns.

PS. I've found the 645D also suffers from this effect.
Well, I guess this isn't a very big deal to most people 'cause I've never seen any report or complains about this on G3 or any other m4/3 cameras
03-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #79
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Well, I guess this isn't a very big deal to most people 'cause I've never seen any report or complains about this on G3 or any other m4/3 cameras
I'd like to think of it as turning a blind eye.
But in my own case, it really bothers me.

EX: 645D

03-08-2012, 09:26 AM   #80
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'd like to think of it as turning a blind eye.
But in my own case, it really bothers me.

EX: 645D
Hmm, that does look pretty bad...

Well, I only use G3 for family photos, not even use it for travel (I don't travel much nowadays anyway). So I guess it'd be fine. For good IQ, I'd always turn to K-5, and now K-01 as well
03-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #81
Pentaxian

It's especially annoying for city pictures where you are taking pictures of glass buildings.

And if you take pictures of Scottish men.
03-09-2012, 11:54 AM   #82
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you very much Frank for your excellent comparison, which made me realised that the gap in IQ between M43 and APS-C cameras was not so big after all. You have really convinced me to buy... a Pana GX1. I want a mirrorless camera mainly to do videos and to complement my K5. As nice looking as the K01 is, it seems to me that it is just not up to the best mirrorless camera standard as far as ease of use is concerned. To me the greatest recent improvement on mirrorless cameras is the touch screen AF. I find the idea of getting the camera to focus where you put your finger tip on the screen very appealing, particularly when shooting videos. Unfortunately, the K01 is missing this feature. I also doubt its AF speed can match that of the GX1 but maybe you could tell us more about this, Frank. Obviously I would have liked to use my old Pentax lenses on a K01 but I have tried to manual focus while shooting a video with my K5 and it was a miss and miss affair.

Last edited by fg-one; 03-10-2012 at 12:00 AM.
06-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #83
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fg-one Quote
Thank you very much Frank for your excellent comparison, which made me realised that the gap in IQ between M43 and APS-C cameras was not so big after all. You have really convinced me to buy... a Pana GX1. I want a mirrorless camera mainly to do videos and to complement my K5. As nice looking as the K01 is, it seems to me that it is just not up to the best mirrorless camera standard as far as ease of use is concerned. To me the greatest recent improvement on mirrorless cameras is the touch screen AF. I find the idea of getting the camera to focus where you put your finger tip on the screen very appealing, particularly when shooting videos. Unfortunately, the K01 is missing this feature. I also doubt its AF speed can match that of the GX1 but maybe you could tell us more about this, Frank. Obviously I would have liked to use my old Pentax lenses on a K01 but I have tried to manual focus while shooting a video with my K5 and it was a miss and miss affair.
Let's be fair. These were tripod shots. Try getting a CDAF system to focus and track a moving target compared to the K-camera's PDAF. Not a contest, especially in lower light or low contrast scenes. I tried the GX1 and it was better than all other mirrorless predecessors, but I have yet to see a CDAF system match a PDAF system. That said, Pentax definitely needs to work their PDAF system up to Nikon's standards.

The low-ISO chroma noise and moire on the m43 got me, too.