Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
03-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #61
nah

Photos: Gallery
OK, I went through and didn't see anyone mention it.

Was it me or the G3's IQ look better than the K-5 and K-01? Was the focus missed from the K-5 and K-01?

Good job on the comparisons Frank.

03-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nah Quote

Was it me or the G3's IQ look better than the K-5 and K-01? Was the focus missed from the K-5 and K-01?

You're right - I didn't even look at the G3 pictures. They do look sharper than the K-5 pictures.
03-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #63
Inactive Account

I wish comparison would be K-5 at ISO 80 vs K-01 at ISO 100, to be able to compare the best results of the both cameras. Thanks Frank.
03-06-2012, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #64
Veteran Member

Man, with reviewers like frank, we don't need dpreviews or any other review site! Awesome works Frank!!

03-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #65
Pentaxian

I'm not surprised.
I have a G3 too, its very capable, esp at low iso and the primes are generally very sharp in the center.
In this case its the pana leica 25/1.4 which is a fantastic lens
03-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
You're right - I didn't even look at the G3 pictures. They do look sharper than the K-5 pictures.
Wow so true!
Noisy at 200 but indeed much sharper by default.
Completely overlooked that by assuming they were just not worth looking at
03-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #67

I kind of noticed the same thing, it all starts to fall apart above 1600 (g3), but the g3 is better (to my untrained eyes) under 1600. Still, nothing to complain about with any of the camera's mentioned here.

Steve

Last edited by desmoface; 03-07-2012 at 07:38 AM.
03-06-2012, 09:32 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Analyzing the K-01's Image @ ISO 100 (Photos by Frank)

Frank, I hope you don't mind me that I downloaded one of your .DNG photo then re-posted it here.
I just wanted to share my thoughts on the K-01's IQ.
Thank you!

Here, I edited one of Frank's RAW photograph (.DNG) using ACR in Photoshop CS5 to see and share the IQ of K-01 at ISO 100.
Basically, I pumped up the Recovery and Fill Light to see the dynamic range and how well are the details...

Adobe Camera Raw CS5
* Recovery = 100
* Fill Light = 100
* added a Contrast and a bit of Clarity
* added some Vibrance and Saturation
* Note: I didn't added anything to Sharpness and Noise Reduction

Edited Photo
I'm not a big fan of HDR photography, but in here, I just want to test the IQ and DR.

Cropped it at 100%
Here's a closer look of the image. We can see that the black areas didn't clipped (and we can see the photographer in that reflection) and and even the highlight area, except for the light source located at the upper right hand corner.

*** This Pentax K-01 really gives quality result. Small camera but kicks a$$. hehe. Even at higher ISO (look at Frank's other sample images) it still performed well. ***
03-07-2012, 06:10 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Man, with reviewers like frank, we don't need dpreviews or any other review site! Awesome works Frank!!
Well, those dpreviewers make a living by doing excellent reviews, I'd slept a lot less in the past a few days doing a much simpler report only
03-07-2012, 08:39 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by richard balonglong Quote
Frank, I hope you don't mind me that I downloaded one of your .DNG photo then re-posted it here.
Thank you!

Here, I edited one of Frank's RAW photograph (.DNG) using ACR in Photoshop CS5 to see and share the IQ of K-01 at ISO 100.
Basically, I pumped up the Recovery and Fill Light to see the dynamic range and how well are the details...

Adobe Camera Raw CS5
* Recovery = 100
* Fill Light = 100

Edited Photo
I'm not a big fan of HDR photography, but in here, I just want to test the IQ and DR.

Cropped it at 100%
Here's a closer look of the image. We can see that the black areas didn't clipped (and we can see the photographer in that reflection) and and even the highlight area, except for the light source located at the upper right hand corner.

*** This Pentax K-01 really gives quality result. Small camera but kicks a$$. hehe. Even at higher ISO (look at Frank's other sample images) it still performed well. ***
Wow! Didn't know you could bring out my reflection on the bottle, other wise I'd dress up properly
03-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richard balonglong Quote
Thank you!

Adobe Camera Raw CS5
* Recovery = 100
* Fill Light = 100

Edited Photo

Cropped it at 100%

I'm sorta amazed that the box reflected to the left of the bottle is legible in the recovery.
03-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Original Poster

I tried my best to focus properly on K-01 and K-5, and reviewed the results on LCD screen so I'd make sure the focusing was spot on (AF results were much softer than what I got w/ manual focus in Live View). And I also purposely stopped down to F5.6 on K5/K01 and F4 on G3 to get enough DOF so to reduce the effect of focusing error.

If you download the full size pictures, you'd see even on the tin, G3 photos are still a bit sharper:

G3:

K-01:

G3 photos are sharper, but colors from K-01/K-5 photos are nicer even at ISO200, G3 photo is much noisier too. And if you look at the reflection part (lower right half), K-01 photo retain more details as well:

G3 at ISO200:

K-01 at ISO200:
03-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #73
Veteran Member

Original Poster
And the Panasonic Leica 25/1.4 is indeed a very sharp lens, especially at center. I can't find its review at photozone. But they did have a review for its big brother, the 4/3 version PL25/1.4. I read some guys said the new one is as good if not better than the earler 4/3 version.

Here is the MTF for the earlier PL25/1.4:

For a comparison, our FA31:

03-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
And the Panasonic Leica 25/1.4 is indeed a very sharp lens, especially at center. I can't find its review at photozone. But they did have a review for its big brother, the 4/3 version PL25/1.4. I read some guys said the new one is as good if not better than the earler 4/3 version.

Here is the MTF for the earlier PL25/1.4:

For a comparison, our FA31:
Yes, in fact of the m4/3 lenses are very good for center sharpness.
03-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #75
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
I tried my best to focus properly on K-01 and K-5, and reviewed the results on LCD screen so I'd make sure the focusing was spot on (AF results were much softer than what I got w/ manual focus in Live View). And I also purposely stopped down to F5.6 on K5/K01 and F4 on G3 to get enough DOF so to reduce the effect of focusing error.

If you download the full size pictures, you'd see even on the tin, G3 photos are still a bit sharper:

G3:

K-01:

G3 photos are sharper, but colors from K-01/K-5 photos are nicer even at ISO200, G3 photo is much noisier too. And if you look at the reflection part (lower right half), K-01 photo retain more details as well:

G3 at ISO200:

K-01 at ISO200:
Thanks again for the efforts Frank.

I find the G3 output to be most definitely interesting against the K's. Though I don't have the time now, but I've set my sights on using it as a new baseline for my RAW default profiles(settings).

Having said that, can you confirm or deny that I'm seeing moire patters in the G3 sample? I didn't get the chance to investigate or pixel peep the images but from here, it looks like there are vertical aliasing patterns in some of the colored patterns on the can.