Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2012, 07:01 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
The K-5 uses M-JPEG that has a bit rate of over 80mbits/sec so you need a 30mb/sec card like my Sandisk Extreme . I don't know of any current DSLR that uses M-JPEG since most of them use H.264 with data rates of 24mbits/sec.
You're messing up a lot of things here.
bits = b and bytes = B
mili = m and mega = M

so what you say here 80mbits/sec so you need a 30mb/sec is that 80 milibits per second is the same as 30 milibits per seconds

To clear things up.
K5 = 80Mb/s = 10MB/s ---- so class 10 card should be fast enough
k-01 = 24Mb/s = 3MB/s --- so class 4 should cut it but better to go for atleast class 6

03-07-2012, 07:15 AM   #17
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
You're messing up a lot of things here.
bits = b and bytes = B
mili = m and mega = M

so what you say here 80mbits/sec so you need a 30mb/sec is that 80 milibits per second is the same as 30 milibits per seconds

To clear things up.
K5 = 80Mb/s = 10MB/s ---- so class 10 card should be fast enough
k-01 = 24Mb/s = 3MB/s --- so class 4 should cut it but better to go for atleast class 6
Whatever. Is getting the 30mb/sec card going to break the bank and be too fast for the K-5 ? I use the Sandisk Extreme Pro with USB 3.0 card reader that uploads twice as fast as my 30mb/sec Extreme cards.
03-07-2012, 08:05 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
The card I pictured in Post #9 cost me $23 at Amazon. I'm not going to complain about an extra $10 for a $750 camera. 16Gb might be overkill but they were on special. If it doesn't work for HD 1080p I'll get a better card and take a lot of stills with this. Transfer rate to my PC ought to improve.
03-07-2012, 08:33 AM   #19
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Is getting the 30mb/sec card going to break the bank and be too fast for the K-5 ? I use the Sandisk Extreme Pro with USB 3.0 card reader that uploads twice as fast as my 30mb/sec Extreme cards.
That is what I did last year as wel. Fast working at home is also a big advantage.

03-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #20
Banned

SanDisk - Ultra 32GB Secure Digital (SD) Class 4 Memory Card

SanDisk - Ultra 32GB Secure Digital (SD) Class 4 Memory Card - SDSDRH-032G-A11 32GB Ultra SDHC&cp=1&lp=6

$34.99 w/ free shipping at BestBuy
03-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #21
Banned

Photos: Albums
Before I attept to answer the question, please consider the following...

How new (or how old) is your computer system?

What OS, or is it more than one OS?

How much RAM?

Hard drive... Is it a platter (now almost old-fashioned), hybrid, or SSD?

...Relating to the hard drive question (but not of use for "most" SSD's); how often do you de-frag?

If there are a few topics of which I really know a lot about in this world, it's cameras and computers. And not to alarm anyone, but... I've observed a fair share of people that "run into issues" if they would elect to have 64 or 128 cards in teir cameras. For the average computer user, this would cause a real time issue (and also possibly cause computer issues) if needing to defrag those amounts of data once downloaded onto the hard drive.

So for this particular Pentax K-01 model I would most likely suggest either a 16 or 32 card. IF it might fill up too fast simply switch out the cards.
03-13-2012, 05:50 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi: Welcome (I think) to the Forum. You've made some very infomrmed and valuable posts just this afternoon! I'm the OP so if this Reply is directed to me, then here we go:

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Before I attept to answer the question, please consider the following...

How new (or how old) is your computer system?
12 months

What OS, or is it more than one OS?
Win7-64 w/ XP virtual machine where necessary

How much RAM?
8Mb

Hard drive... Is it a platter (now almost old-fashioned), hybrid, or SSD?
Hybrid

...Relating to the hard drive question (but not of use for "most" SSD's); how often do you de-frag?
Ad Hoc - when I sense load times are lengthening.

If there are a few topics of which I really know a lot about in this world, it's cameras and computers. And not to alarm anyone, but... I've observed a fair share of people that "run into issues" if they would elect to have 64 or 128 cards in teir cameras. For the average computer user, this would cause a real time issue (and also possibly cause computer issues) if needing to defrag those amounts of data once downloaded onto the hard drive.

So for this particular Pentax K-01 model I would most likely suggest either a 16 or 32 card. IF it might fill up too fast simply switch out the cards.
FWIW I bought 2 16Gb Cards that claim 30Mb/s transfer rate but don't claim UHS-1 support. On a pure price basis i feel good about that but I could have made a poor choice on a pure technical basis - which is why In originally opened this thread.

03-13-2012, 07:06 PM   #23
Banned

Photos: Albums
Based on your answers so far "most card" capacities should work quite well, but also note that...

Even though you do have a newer computer with above average specs; that I did forget to include perhaps one more revelant question, which would be - hard disk size in gb or even tb??

Because a 128 card might have some issues when the drive is actually just above that - or naturally less than that.. Sounds strange but they still make hybrid drives of only 60gb.

Also for the general audience... For W7 users who do frequently check for both updates and do a defrag about once a month or so... Check you hard disk available space by...(if set traditionally) Left click lower left windows icon, then left click on computer (on the right most side of field), then right click on *c drive* then scroll to properties. It will show the free space in gb or sometimes even tb.

Best to always leave 10gb for updates and for room to move and defrag. It's interesting how fast raw can fill up any drive device. But at least we have a few years until Pentax has a sensor as large as a Hasselblad.
03-13-2012, 09:26 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Answer to last question: 500Gb native 500Gb USB external for storage (partitioned); 200Gb filled on DT, 168Gb on external.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-13-2012 at 09:35 PM.
03-14-2012, 03:48 AM   #25
Forum Member

SanDisk - Ultra 32GB Secure Digital (SD) Class 4 Memory Card - SDSDRH-032G-A11 32GB Ultra SDHC&cp=1&lp=6 $34.99 w/ free shipping at BestBuy
This particular SD requires UHS-1 support to deliver the speed, else it falls back. The standard SanDisk, SDSDX-032G, doesn't have that issue. The limitation is that it normally operates at 20MB/s and only achieves 30MB/s in the few devices that support UHS-I. The K-01 doesn't specifically state "UHS-I", I would pay slightly more for the far faster "normal" version. This is based on research and responses from SanDisk.

I have noticed my K-01 is fussy about SD's ....still testing to find the optimum. will edit in later.

Last edited by WWWench; 03-14-2012 at 03:56 AM. Reason: typo
03-14-2012, 06:12 AM   #26
Banned

I use a 45mb/sec Sandisk Extreme PRO SDHC card with Pretec USB 3.0 card reader and it uploads my videos to my homebuilt 6-core PC twice as fast as my 30mb/sec Extreme cards and has USB 3.0 ports on the front of my Coolermaster HAF X 942 case. I don't care if the camera supports the speed because my PC does.
03-15-2012, 04:45 AM   #27
Forum Member

I do a lot of AutoCad and Blender so on my work box, a home built overclocked Sandy Bridge - stable @ 4.5 ghz, USB 3 is a given. My SSD, Samsung's 256, does a sequential write rate around 400 MB/s, but only at queue depths higher than two. This drive only achieves those numbers attached to SATA 6Gb/s.

Back on thread... given there can still be other bottlenecks in the pipeline. So, there's no telling how a specific K-01/card will work without testing. But, the newer Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-1 SDHC Cards are probably about the fastest you'll find right now. Sandisk's claims also are usually closer to the actual potential of the cards compared to some of the other manufacturers around. All this will change in May when Toshiba starts selling their new SD products.

The reason why I noticed the K-01 is SD fussy is they made a significant change, unannounced except in computer hardware blogs.

The Pentax K-01 stores images and movies on Secure Digital cards. Not only does it support the higher-capacity SDHC and SDXC cards, but it now also supports higher-speed UHS-I Class 1 cards.
Attached Images

Last edited by WWWench; 03-25-2012 at 06:44 AM. Reason: typo
03-24-2012, 12:18 PM   #28
Forum Member

K-01 fully supports UHS-I 95/90 -- so reported in Japan and SanDisk.
Anyone have one to post a rough compare to class 10?

03-25-2012, 07:20 AM   #29
Banned

I just ordered the Panasonic 8GB SDHC Memory Card - Class 10 - RP-SDU08GU1K for $13.99 at J&R with free shipping that sells for $29.95 at B&H . I signed up for the J&R free shipping club last year at no cost.
Panasonic 8GB SDHC Memory Card - Class 10 - RP-SDU08GU1K in Secure Digital Memory Cards | JR.com
Panasonic 8GB SDHC Memory Card Class 10 UHS-I RP-SDU08GU1K B&H

03-28-2012, 07:39 AM   #30
Banned

Panasonic 8GB 90mb/s SDHC vs Transcend 16GB Class 10 SDHC

I just received the 8GB Panasonic SDHC card that has a 90mb/s rating from J&R and compared read benchmarks to my Transcend 16GB Class 10 SDHC .

Panasonic 8GB 90mb/s read SDHC :

Transcend 16GB Class 10 SDHC :

Last edited by jogiba; 03-28-2012 at 04:38 PM.