Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-06-2012, 09:21 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-01 images and thoughts about camera

Couple of shots with the camera.
It is an interesting machine. Never realized mirrorless cameras are constantly adjusting aperture ( even in av mode). Guess it is adjusting the light for lcd viewing. Still strange. Menus are similar to other Pentax cameras but somethings work differently. I haven't picked up the manual yet, so it may be adjustable, but I really don't like the way info for reviewed pic has to be accessed thru menu for each level of info. All the other cameras let you continue to hit info to cycle thru histogram, shooting info, etc.

Block shape is comfortable to hold. Screen seems easier to see in bright sun than other cameras ( even the Q). Images have the great dynamic range of K-5. Easy to see today that it beats the K-7 at that. Love being able to use all my Pentax K mt. lenses on a mirrorless cam without funky adapters. The control layout is simple and I like that.

Those who griped about turning latch to open memo card door on K10/20 aren't gonna love this camera. You have to skin it, pop open a door, eject card, close door, then reapply the skin. Sacrifices for art. Will deal with it.

Overall like the camera, but it feels the most foreign ( unPentax) of any Pentax I have used. Even the Q seems more like a Pentax. Not saying its bad but it definetly has a different personality.
thanks
barondla

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
03-07-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I totally agree that the K-01 is not as comfortable to hold as the K-5. My fingers just don't grasp it comfortably, and my poor thumb just does not know what to do. I also agree that changing the memo card is a pain and that outer flap just seems to be too doggone flimsy to be durable. These are my first impressions. It does look nicer than I expected. One problem I do see that will require some sort of near future solution is how to prevent that very small snap-in 40mm lens cap from getting lost while shooting???
03-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Love that 2nd shot - thanks for the first impressions & images!
03-08-2012, 12:10 AM   #4
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Never realized mirrorless cameras are constantly adjusting aperture ( even in av mode).
They don't. The K-01 definitely won't either if you'll use a Takumar with it. Are you sure the K-01 does that with the XS40 lens?

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Not saying its bad but it definetly has a different personality.
Marc Newson's, I believe.

03-08-2012, 08:18 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have had time now to charge the D-L190 battery and do some shooting around the house. I am disappointed with the noise, the K-01 seems to be nearly as noisy (sound) as the K-5, and I had been hoping for silence when shooting wildlife. The K-01 is a great camera to use when one is wearing glasses. Also, this is the first camera with a display monitor, that I have used without smearing the monitor with nose grease each time I took a shot! I find it easy to use the e-dial to magnify the playback image (up to 16 times), as this is a quick check of focus sharpness, although if you are shooting Lomograph style, this feature is not of much use. I look forward to putting on the FA100 and doing some Macro. I have not yet attached the neck strap (I usually do not use them, as I normally use a Blackrapid RS7 strap), I think any strap attached to the K-01 while tend to make it awkward to use. I have to think about this for a while, as what to do. Incidently, the e-dial on the K-01 is much easier to use than on the K-5, due to size and position.

Last edited by DigiMack; 03-08-2012 at 08:50 AM.
03-08-2012, 08:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When you say noise, what do you mean? The shutter sound specifically?
03-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The K-01 has a mechanical shutter. It's going to make noise. An electronic shutter design would have reduced image quality at higher ISOs.

03-08-2012, 10:05 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I'll be interested in hearing about how it does with Macros.
03-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting that you consider the K5 noisy. I've been impressed by how silent it is, especially for it's pricepoint. I guess it's all relative.
03-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree, it is relative, and I am using no test equipment, etc. It is just my impression. Perhaps I am overly sensitive, but when photographing birds or animals at close range, or using the K-5 to shoot my grandaughter's recital, etc., I always feel that I am making alot of audiable noise with the camera. I expected the K-01 to be virtually silent, and that was one of the selling points for me, it is not, and when I use the K-5 & K-01 together, they both sound about the same to me. Again, no audio test equipment used.
Over lunch I was able to get out and use the K-01 under the noon day sun. At times I had to turn the monitor brightness level up to (+) 7, but I could still see it well even with sun glare. That, of course was an origional concern of mine.
03-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What kind of noise? Shutter, lens focusing, or both?
03-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DigiMack Quote
It is just my impression. Perhaps I am overly sensitive, but when photographing birds or animals at close range, or using the K-5 to shoot my grandaughter's recital, etc., I always feel that I am making alot of audiable noise with the camera.
I think if you went back to using the K-x for a while you would be reminded about what mechanical camera noise means.

A K-5 with all the beeps turned off and using manual focus is as quiet a DSLR as you could possibly use, I think. Without a mirror slapping about in the body I am surprised that the K-01 isn't quieter still than the K-5.