Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2012, 06:29 AM   #31
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1. Fix AF with DA*300/4 and FA*200/4 macro and with tele lenses.
2. The possibility to adjust and to change GREEN and RED button with ANY function:
focus peaking, video; exposure; AE-L; AF on/off; SR on/off; LCD on/off; GPS on/off and e.t.c

Remind:
RED BUTTON options now -
• Movie Recording
• One Push File format (JPEG, RAW/Raw+JPEG)
• Preview
• Focus Peaking
• Custom Image
• Digital Filter

3. Bigger and faster buffer and new higher speed DNG mode -
a) at least 6-9 shot in 1 fps mode and
b) new 3 fps mode for RAW.
4. - Up to 10x magnification during LV and focus peaking (14x is too much IMO)
5. Fix video quality in Full HD mode and in other modes with 30, 25, 24 fps

Is it real to collect our demands and inform official Pentax about our wishes?

Last edited by ogl; 04-28-2012 at 06:47 AM.
04-30-2012, 10:54 PM   #32

I find it hard to believe there aren't any User Modes in the K-01.

The Canon G12 compact camera has 2 User Modes directly accessible from the dial

User Modes COULD be added in a Firmware update if Pentax are serious about this being an enthusiast camera.

Last edited by MikeAusP; 05-01-2012 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Corrected "aren't any "
05-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #33

Photos: Gallery
I notice that my Tamron 18~250 is really slow to focus compared to using on the K20D.
05-02-2012, 08:53 AM   #34
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeAusP Quote
User Modes COULD be added in a Firmware update if Pentax are serious about this being an enthusiast camera.
I'm not so sure they are. I think it is a bridge camera for people who want to move up from a PnS but are intimidated by all the buttons and functions of a dSLR. The kind of people who are honest enough to admit they would only shoot a D700 in Auto.

My wife has an Optio A40, which has a K10D sensor [EDIT: 1/1.8" CCD sensor] (I think), a decent lens and a lot of manual controls. I bought it for me but gave it to her before I opened it. She actually likes using the K-01 in P Mode and intuitively understands how that works. She has no use for M Mode and doesn't use much of the A40 capability, either, but she likes the quality of the images from the K-01.

I might be in trouble here - then again, there might be a new dSLR in my future if I am.

Last edited by monochrome; 09-27-2012 at 01:33 PM.
05-29-2012, 06:31 PM   #35
Veteran Member

I haven't had the camera that long, but here is the initial list:
- Peaking should work when video is being recorded. Seriously... no idea why that wasn't a must implement feature for the engineers.
- Show some type of indication that audio is being recorded (level display). That will give an indication to the user that it is working. Allow live control of levels with two of the buttons.
- HDMI out should actually work for liveview and especially movie mode. (What's the point of having it if it only works to review photos?)
- More options for bit-rates in video mode. I'd like to see a super high quality mode.
- I'll have to read through the manual, but the movie record button doesn't appear to relate to video settings from the menu. If I have it set to use manual mode, why is the record mode from the red button an bare display I can't change settings from? EDIT: I was right, using the record button forces Program mode for video. I'd like for the record button to use whatever mode is saved in the settings.
- Improve RAW performance such as a larger buffer and higher fps. I personally haven't had any serious speed issues in RAW, but I have not used the camera for any type of action photos yet (all correction settings are turned off).

With those additions it would be quite the camera for my uses. So close Pentax...

Last edited by sjwaldron; 05-29-2012 at 08:15 PM.
08-02-2012, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #36

Seriously 2 things I'd wish the most:

Video HDMI Out for Liveview & Uncompressed Recording
Mic input level meter.
08-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Anyone know when is the update?
09-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #38

Video looks very 'wobbly' to me (rolling-shutter effect as mentioned in this review - Pentax K-01 Review: Digital Photography Review) pretty sure this can be fixed via a firmware update - hope so anyway!

09-03-2012, 01:28 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Overall stability!

This is always read in new firmwares:

Well I did see some glitches that could be addressed:

- Some issues with writing files to the card ending up with loosing an image. In the screen it says "can't store the image' or something alike, since I run my camera in Dutch. This was with SanDisk cards, 45MB/s and 95MB/s 32GB cards. I had this with jpg and RAW images. Not many, but I'm almost on 10k images on my K-01.

- A few times I had an issue with movie recording. There where mallfunctions in some off the colorchannels, ending up with a clipp that only had blue or blue and red color and no green in it. Stopping the recording and switching off the camera did make this okay.

Since we can do 3 frames off RAW in bracketing with the max speed of 6 fps (or just a little slower, I think I measured 5,1 fps, the same as K-7). So this could be maybe as a normal setting. The buffer is small I guess, so maybe only 3 or 4 frames in this setting, but even that would be fine.
09-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #40
Forum Member

intervalometer function in bulb mode

I would like interval shooting with more than 30s limit for astrophotography, in other words intervalometer functions in bulb mode, which ever way it is implemented. I am guessing that would be an easy fix.
09-11-2012, 07:33 AM   #41
Forum Member

More unreasonable demands.

Now that I finally have my K-01, I can review my firmware desires. In addition to my previous posts:
1. Focus Peaking by default when switched to MF. Ideally, setting options in the Menu of; Focus Peaking Always On; Always Off; and On With MF.
2. P Shift regardless of Green Button setting.
3. Focus Peaking in Movie mode.
4. Audio level meter in Movie mode (a headphone socket would have been ideal, but firmware canít add one).
5. Full button customization for AF/AE-L button (same as Green and Red).
09-27-2012, 08:16 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy97 Quote
P-TTL wireless flash compatibility.
I find the omission of wilreless P-TTL on both K-01 and Q very unfortunate, one of my biggest disappointments with these cameras.
09-27-2012, 08:23 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Optio A40, which has a K10D sensor (I think), a decent lens and a lot of manual controls.
Optio A40's sensor is much smaller than any DSLR -- it had 1/1.8" sensor, IIRC. (I have a similar Optio A30).

There are more manual controls on the Optio A30/40 than some P&S (more than I-10, for example, but less than Q) but there are quite a few limitations as well (for example, there's no Av mode, and in manual you can only pick between two aperture settings).
09-27-2012, 08:32 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Stability

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
This is always read in new firmwares:

Well I did see some glitches that could be addressed:

- Some issues with writing files to the card ending up with loosing an image. In the screen it says "can't store the image' or something alike, since I run my camera in Dutch. This was with SanDisk cards, 45MB/s and 95MB/s 32GB cards. I had this with jpg and RAW images. Not many, but I'm almost on 10k images on my K-01.

- A few times I had an issue with movie recording. There where mallfunctions in some off the colorchannels, ending up with a clipp that only had blue or blue and red color and no green in it. Stopping the recording and switching off the camera did make this okay.
I have a K-01 on order, am disappointed to read that it sounds rather plagued with general stability problems. I have the same opinion of my Q -- quite disappointing since all the Pentax D-SLRs I have owned have been rock solid, but the latest Q and K-01 (I imagine the firmware for these two models has a lot in common) is kind of flaky, occasionally locking up, and sometimes freezing temporarily while processing & writing images. I've had to remove the battery a few times to unlock my Q. None of my Pentax D-SLRs have ever required this.
09-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Since we can do 3 frames off RAW in bracketing with the max speed of 6 fps (or just a little slower, I think I measured 5,1 fps, the same as K-7). So this could be maybe as a normal setting. The buffer is small I guess, so maybe only 3 or 4 frames in this setting, but even that would be fine.
I've found reviewers & Pentax's description of continuous shooting for RAW to be a bit confusing -- am I correct that the only continuous shooting speed for DNG is only 1 fps? Would be nice if they could at least buffer 3-5 shots at a higher speed for the purpose of bracketing. I doubt this can be much improved via firmware update though -- expect this is probably due to unfortunate economies in the hardware where Pentax deliberately chose to save a few nickels.

Something they could fix would be silly limits on bracketing -- with HDR being so popular, why not allow 5 or 7 frames?